Anybody have GREAT things to say about SONY UBP X800E?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't referring to burned media. Meant commercially available discs like Beck's Blow by Blow or any DV discs. It doesn't even recognize the discs.
I cant speak for the Jeff Beck, but the DV discs have silent center and sub channels, so equipment sees it as 5.1, even though its truly 4.0. I believe the AF SACDs are the same way.

I cant speak for the Jeff Beck, but the DV discs have silent center and sub channels, so equipment sees it as 5.1, even though its truly 4.0. I believe the AF SACDs are the same way.
I've had no issue with DV SACD's on my Sony X800.

You guys are correct- my bad. It won't play Blow by Blow and there are others, but it does play DV discs. They are seen as 5.1. There's at least one other sacd that's 4.0 and not recognized.

SACDs have five available channel configurations:
  1. Mono
  2. Stereo
  3. 3.0
  4. 5.0
  5. 5.1
So, a quad SACD may be authored as either 5.0 w/silent C or 5.1 w/silent C and LFE. Any player that can read and play multichannel SACDs should never have an issue with a quad SACD. My guess is that the issue lies with the receiver.

PCM is a different matter. I know some Sony Blu-ray players have issues with playing back 4.0 PCM properly. They might also have issues with 4.0 DSD files for the same reason, but no SACD contains 4.0 DSD, so that's not the issue.

Any player that can read and play multichannel SACDs should never have an issue with a quad SACD. My guess is that the issue lies with the receiver.

In the case of Blow by Blow, it's definitely my ubp x800m2. It won't even recognize the disc. It says no disc. The disc plays fine in my Oppo 103d. I know there's at least one other disc that acts this way, but can't currently recall.

Anybody got this player and Bow by Blow? To see if I'm not crazy... (or at least not in this way...)

SACDs have five available channel configurations:
  1. Mono
  2. Stereo
  3. 3.0
  4. 5.0
  5. 5.1
So, a quad SACD may be authored as either 5.0 w/silent C or 5.1 w/silent C and LFE. Any player that can read and play multichannel SACDs should never have an issue with a quad SACD. My guess is that the issue lies with the receiver.

PCM is a different matter. I know some Sony Blu-ray players have issues with playing back 4.0 PCM properly. They might also have issues with 4.0 DSD files for the same reason, but no SACD contains 4.0 DSD, so that's not the issue.
I'm pretty sure that mono and 3.0 SACDs are actually stereo and 5.0 SACDs, respectively, with doubled/blank channels.

I'm pretty sure that mono and 3.0 SACDs are actually stereo and 5.0 SACDs, respectively, with doubled/blank channels.
According to Sonic Studio, you're right about 3.0 and I'm probably wrong about mono:

FE471C50-2C4D-4305-BA60-D41F57AFB3EE.png

I'm reading these posts about SACD 4.0 playing in stereo with some interest. My new AVR (Arcam AV550) has problems correctly identifying the PCM stream coming from any of my players when they have a newly inserted 4.0 SACD in them as multi-channel. It switches output to a stereo mix down. I've found a work around by selecting a different input, even an unused one, then switching back to the BD input and it doesn't revert back when the tracks change. Most bizzare. Arcam are currently investigating it, though it's slow going.

Back