AnyDVD Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrystonUser

Hello;

So I'm new to the whole ripping DVD/Blu-ray thing.

I just started out with DVD-Audio Extractor to get my DVD-Audio content ripped to FLAC for listening to it via my network and that has gone well. When it came to getting music content off of my music only Blu-ray discs DVDAE can't access BD+ discs and says to 1st use MAKEMKV or AnyDVD. With respect to AnyDVD, which I see is now called AnyDVD HD what do I need to purchase, is it just the AnyDVD HD product itself or do I also need CloneDVD and CloneBD which I also see on their website? I eventually plan to rip my entire DVD and Blu-Ray movie collection to my NAS so I would be purchasing with that in mind as well even though for the moment I'm only going after my high resolution music content. It looks like for watching the ripped movies most if not all Blu-Ray players can't play the ISO files off the network thus you either have to stream them to the tv from your PC or purchase a dedicated media player that can play the ISO files off the network.

Thanks

I use AnyDVD with DVD-AE and the combination works perfectly... pop a Blu-ray in, AnyDVD takes a second to remove any security issues, and DVD-AE rips it (for DVD-A disc rips, you have to temporarily disable AnyDVD before inserting the disc). I don't use any of those clone programs. I've been using AnyDVD for a couple years without any issues.

Thanks for the response.

When you say you have to temporarily disable AnyDVD when doing DVD-A discs, does that mean the app is running in the background all of the time?

So do you do movie rips as well or just music rips? If so what are you using to get the movies to your tv?

I generally only do music rips... but I have successfully used MakeMKV to rip an entire blu-ray movie (I don't think you need AnyDVD for this, or any decrypting software, but I honestly can't remember).

AnyDVD runs in the background so whenever you insert a disc it decrypts it. I just right-click the AnyDVD icon and "exit" the program prior to inserting a DVD-A for ripping.

I use MakeMKV to rip to MKV then Music Media Helper to split into individual tracks as FLAC for audio only or into individual MKVs for concerts/music videos.

I use MakeMKV to rip to MKV then Music Media Helper to split into individual tracks as FLAC for audio only or into individual MKVs for concerts/music videos.

The reason I use Music Media Helper to convert BDA and DVDV to FLAC over AudioMuxer is:

1. MMH converts the audio contained in the MKV to FLAC in a single pass (AM is to wav then FLAC) so it’s faster
2, MMH can search the artist and album names online and semi-auto tag all the FLAC files very quickly

See this post: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...sic-videos-mch-audio.22693/page-3#post-351536

MMH doesn’t do DVDAs.

I use DVDAudioExtractor if ripping a DVDA disc. Foobar2000 if converting a DVDA ISO to FLAC as it does it very quickly.

In both cases you can use the the Foobar MusicBrainz tagging add-in to tag and rename tags semi automatically. Just set the Artist and Album Name properties and then run the MB add-in and do a search and all the tracks are tagged. Then it converts to FLAC directly (and multi-threaded, so does 8 tracks in parallel)

The only trick is if the release has a couple of bonus tracks. Then just select the ‘normal’ album tracks and tag those automatically. Then manually edit the bonus track details. Seems that when the MB search is done it looks for artist, album and a release with that number of tracks, hence it may fail on a bonus track release.

EDIT: I wish I knew this earlier as it would have saved be many hours tagging...

So is MakeMKV a free software or a paid software like AnyDVD? I'm just deciding now which I'll get then everything else I need to get to accomplish getting the audio only tracks off my Bu-ray Audio discs for listening and then I plan to start taking back-ups and ripping my DVD and Blu-ray movie collection so they can be played from my NAS.

MakeMKV is free, but I think you have to periodically re-download it. I've tried using it in combination with the Music Media Helper this week and it's working very well... I think I will NOT be renewing my AnyDVD subscription when it lapses. Thanks HomerJAU!

Thanks, I'll start off going the free route 1st :)

I downloaded MakeMKV (called MakeMKV Beta) and when I started ripping the 1st disc a message popped up saying it's free for 30 days then you would have to get a license.

hmm, OK , I suck at this. With MakeMKV I ran the Backup procedure on a Rush 2112 Blu-ray audio and I can see where it placed the contents of the disc. I then went over to MMH and clicked on the Split MKV to FLAC option and it indicates to locate the MKV file however there is no .mkv file. What did I do wrong??

Don't use the Backup option. Just select the Title and Audio track(s) you want, set the output folder and MKV file name. Then click 'Make MKV' (at top right):

Capture2.PNG

Once you have the MKV file (an exact digital copy of the Video and/or Audio tracks you selected). You can then play it or use MMH or Audiomuxer to convert the audio to FLAC or MMH to split a video mkv into its chapters as individual MKV files for playback.

You can also open the 'Chapters' node in the above capture to see how many there are in each title. That may help you work out which title contains the tracks/chapters and audio you want as some discs have bonus material, documentaries etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, that helped a lot.

So this backup option, what's the purpose for that aside from having I'm assuming a 1:1 file output from the disc? Is this the option you use when ripping DVD and Blu-ray movies for, well, the watching of the video content?

Yes, backup makes a full image of the disc on your hard drive or USB drive. Some playback programs can play from those images or you can use MakeMKV to open them and create MKV files.

Back