AnyDVD Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTS CD's - Geez, I can't remember...been so long since I've ripped one...

I tried a DTS surround disc and DVDAE would not recognize it?
I am ripping a Blu Ray now through MKV and waiting the outcome. I tried ripping the Blu Ray via DVDAE it recognized it but only the two channel and I couldn't gigure out to rip the DTS HD Mstr.

I finished the BLU Ray rip of XTC skylarking with MKV, took 38 minutes, and went into my download folder, found it but has many folders within the folder, I think I did MKV wrong?
DVDAE only saw the 2 channel of the Blu Ray.
I'll, hold onto the DTS discs until the DVD-A's are ripped, those seem pretty easy, hit and miss on tagging.
Just need to figure out BD rip

Last edited:
Yes, backup makes a full image of the disc on your hard drive or USB drive. Some playback programs can play from those images or you can use MakeMKV to open them and create MKV files.

Thank you, super nice, I should be able to figure that out. I just pulled all my DVD-A discs and I have about 100, gonna be a long haul. I will try the Blu Ray again as you suggested. I don't have may dTS, about 25 so I can wait on those.

Another tip: You can use MakeMKV to convert to MKV. Then while converting another BD you can use MMH to convert the first MKV file to FLAC. So you can work on two conversions at same time.

Thank you, super nice, I should be able to figure that out. I just pulled all my DVD-A discs and I have about 100, gonna be a long haul. I will try the Blu Ray again as you suggested. I don't have may dTS, about 25 so I can wait on those.

DVDAudioExtracter can rip DTS from DVDV but not DTSCDs. Alternatively you can also rip DTS DVDV Audio discs with MakeMKV to MKV then use MMH to convert to FLAC and tag/rename files.

MakeMKV will also rip BDV and DVD Video with Audio and MMH can split those into song files too.

I just ripped all my DTS CDs: use foobar to rip the CD to .wav files, then, if you want artwork, convert the .wav files to flac (again with foobar). You can then use a tagging program to add artwork (I’m sure there are other ways to do this but it worked well for me!)

One thing I’ve noticed about getting metadata (tags) via DVDAE: the ability to download the metadata depends on whether or not you are using decryption software (such as AnyDVD) and whether anyone has previously uploaded the metadata. (If I click the “download metadata” button in the upper right of DVDAE and no tags are available, then I disable or enable AnyDVD and try again... usually I get some tags one way or another)

One thing I’ve noticed about getting metadata (tags) via DVDAE: the ability to download the metadata depends on whether or not you are using decryption software (such as AnyDVD) and whether anyone has previously uploaded the metadata. (If I click the “download metadata” button in the upper right of DVDAE and no tags are available, then I disable or enable AnyDVD and try again... usually I get some tags one way or another)

I will remember that, I am on my 6th rip of DVD-A and DVDAE tagged on 5 of 6 so far. When I import to JRiver than I can tag manually very easy. I also go into Amazon type the album and save the actual DVD-A cover and then replace. I have done with all my rips so far, helps me when I am looking for surround albums, I also list the album title as 5.1 There is pleny of time to fix the tags as each disc is taking between 15-20 mins to rip. A little slower than the SACD rips.

Another comment...and someone can please correct me....it seems to me that I had been calling the album cover "front" and if I do that, Foobar sees it just fine...but if I use my Oppo...it doesn't. So, I started calling my album cover "folder" and it works both in Foobar and with my Oppo.

Hi, couple of questions. I have ripped about 30 DVD-A mch discs so far and all perfect, tagging, playing, JRiver all great. I have run into two discs so far Marvin Gaye Collection and Sting's Brand New Day, they both show the ripping with DVD AE but it is super fast, like swoosh and done, I can put them in NAS, JRiver picks them up with track list but when I go to play, nothing happens, obviously I knew something was wrong right away because of the swoosh real fast 1 second rip. I reloaded the Marvin Gaye and went to rip the stereo only thinking that was the problem but still no good.
1 question, are there some that just won't rip?
2 question, I have some real cool DVD-V discs with 5.1 sound. Can you rip the 5.1 track list ONLY from a DVD-V disc?

Hi, couple of questions. I have ripped about 30 DVD-A mch discs so far and all perfect, tagging, playing, JRiver all great. I have run into two discs so far Marvin Gaye Collection and Sting's Brand New Day, they both show the ripping with DVD AE but it is super fast, like swoosh and done, I can put them in NAS, JRiver picks them up with track list but when I go to play, nothing happens, obviously I knew something was wrong right away because of the swoosh real fast 1 second rip. I reloaded the Marvin Gaye and went to rip the stereo only thinking that was the problem but still no good.
2 question, I have some real cool DVD-V discs with 5.1 sound. Can you rip the 5.1 track list ONLY from a DVD-V disc?
I think they may be DTS CDs?

You can rip DTS or AC3 from DVD-V discs using DVDAE and AnyDVD (or makemkv)

I think they may be DTS CDs?

If they're DTS-CDs then DVDAE wouldn't read them at all (it doesn't read CD, only dvd or blu). I've seen this problem before, and I have a theory: the MLP 5.1 layer is 44.1/24 on both those discs, and that causes problems for DVDAE for some reason.

The Toy Matinee DVD-A (also 44.1/24 MLP) had the same problem for me. I gave up on that one and ended up ripping the 48khz DTS track- sounds great to me.

These titles I mentioned are all from DTS Entertainment, and were all originally issued as DTS-CD, then reissued as DVD-A a few years later, yet they remain at CD sample rate. I bet when they went back to do the DVD-A versions, they just ran the 44.1/16 master files used to create the DTS-CD through an MLP encoder and called it a day. Which would mean that the DVD-A versions technically are no better fidelity-wise than the old DTS-CDs.

@marpow : I would either just rip the DVD-V layer (either DTS or AC3) with DVDAE, or extract the raw MLP files with DVD-A Explorer (freeware) then convert those to FLAC.

Last edited:
I just ripped all my DTS CDs: use foobar to rip the CD to .wav files, then, if you want artwork, convert the .wav files to flac (again with foobar). You can then use a tagging program to add artwork (I’m sure there are other ways to do this but it worked well for me!)

I used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip those, then I'll convert them to FLAC in Foobar and do the tagging manually in file explorer.

Don't use the Backup option. Just select the Title and Audio track(s) you want, set the output folder and MKV file name. Then click 'Make MKV' (at top right):

View attachment 35494

Once you have the MKV file (an exact digital copy of the Video and/or Audio tracks you selected). You can then play it or use MMH or Audiomuxer to convert the audio to FLAC or MMH to split a video mkv into its chapters as individual MKV files for playback.

You can also open the 'Chapters' node in the above capture to see how many there are in each title. That may help you work out which title contains the tracks/chapters and audio you want as some discs have bonus material, documentaries etc.

Well, here I go again. My first Blu Ray rip, always nervous when I start. Going to try The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed, Blu Ray stereo only then I am going to try Tears For Fears Songs From The Big Chair
index.jpg
index 1.jpg
5.1 Blu Ray.

Well the Stones ripped but as a video, like what you would see for the onscreen menu. That's not right, I think, I didn't see any tracks. I checked the boxes exactly as the picture shows. I created the folder that it loads to, however I cannot find the PROPERTIES and Profile as shown in the screenshot.
As usual almost there on first try but not quite.

Back