Anyone care to guess about this one?? KANSAS SQ LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's amazing about these guys that go and sell their favorite LP. I noticed he didn't mention the encoding scheme. Nor is there any marking on the cover. Pass.

The Quadfather

It's not even a "PZ Q 33385", so you know it's not SQ, just from that catalog number!

:-jon

Looks highly suspicious. I sent the seller a couple of questions. I'll report back with what he has to say.

I asked, too. This morning I received a repy containing an image of the label:

Kansas_Quad_LP_label.jpg

Looks legit. The date on the label is 1975, at least a couple of years before CBS Masterworks began its brief experiment of releasing only SQ versions of selected albums. In this case, makes me wonder if CBS released this Kansas LP only in quad and then put a quad label on only a few copies.

Larry

Wow! Good job, Larry!

Now, is it a label error?
Why is it not a PZQ?
Any Kansas fans out there with this LP without the SQ Logo?

Me thinks it needs to be added to the discography list !
I have not heard from him yet ! I hope someone from the group wins it- " yes" TaTE " for sure

Maybe we could get a small sample and see how it decodes with the Tate!
Rob

I just had an idea... How about if we all or those who want to pool our money , and buy it before it goes bye bye!
Then we could mail it to each other and make some d.t.s. transfers as we all have varrying equipment and such.
Then compare the end product! I'm not that much into collecting so to say! So I don't need to have the oridinal so some one could be the holder of it! Maybe Jon! or someone else in the group who collects albums and would take care of it ! Or could buy it out right! Right now $129.00 is too rich for my budget as things in the stock market stand! But I would like a shot at it with my Equipment! 8o

Rob

I'd be happy to "chip in" and we could send it to Tab or Cai (or whomever) and let them work on it.

Maybe to Ron and his Laser Turntable!!!

I just checked my other e-mail and he sent some info and a pic also and wanted to know if we had anyone in that -his area , I wrote him back and told him we did and also asked him if he could send a sample to decode via the Tate 101-a, And if it was We could add it to the discography and credit him in some way! :cool:
Rob

I just received e-mail from the seller today describing the label. I asked him if he could send a picture of it. Now that I see it, I'm quite surprised! I'm tempted to guess that this was just a printing error, and if it is, it is still a great quad-related collectible. If it does turn out to be a real quad recording, that would be way cool. I don't have a copy of this LP, does anyone here have a copy? It would be fun to check to see if the SQ logo shows up elsewhere.

Anyway, I'd be happy to do a DTS conversion of it to pass around if someone here decides to spring for it. I'll even chip in if we do the group thing.

I live in Portland, which is right across the river from Vancouver, and I have a Tate - hmmmmm..........

Wow! If somebody here get this, I want a DTS copy. If we can get just 15 people to pitch in $10.00 a piece.....Who wants to be the person to bid on it? I will send them my $10.00 asap.
Brian

I'm up for it and who ever bids, I'll send money also . I think we should move on this as someone has made a bid!
don't want to lose it. :rolleyes:
Rob

CRAP! I was just about to "Buy it Now" and the auction has been pulled!!!

Hopefully, it was one of us............

"I don't think his mother wanted him to have this one too!!"

When someone uses the "Buy It Now" option, doesn't it still list their Ebay user name? The buyer info is blank on this listing.
I'm really intrigued by this recording and would be happy to chip in on the cost if anyone tracks it down.

Well, for what it's worth now, after receiving the photo, I followed up with a question about the numbers inscribed in the leadout grooves. The seller did not directly answer with the numbers inscribed there, but did indicate that they did not match the examples I provided of the typical numbering for CBS quad LPs. In other words, the inscribed numbers contained no "Q".

If this is a genuine quad LP, then the identification of its masters is not consistent with CBS's practice for any of its quad LPs. Naturally the company's dual inventory quads have master numbers that distinguish them from their stereo counterparts. If the masters of the stereo version are AL30999 for side 1 and BL30999 for side 2, the quad version uses QAL30999 and QBL30999. That turns out to be true even for their late single-inventory classical releases. The album number of the very last one is M-35131, but on the record its master numbers are QAL35131 and QBL35131.

This and the sudden withdrawal of the Kansas LP make me wonder if it was genuine. In the days of scanners and Adobe Photoshop, making up a convincing label for an out-of-focus photo is not that difficult. That gives me an idea. Soon you might see an auction for that mystical SQ version of Pink Floyd's Animals.

Larry

Back