anyone know qs synthesizer surround on some sansuis?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aifrecords

says it transforms 2 channel conventional records into 4 channel. anyone heard it? does it make a 2 channel record sound like a 4 ch quad?

says it transforms 2 channel conventional records into 4 channel. anyone heard it? does it make a 2 channel record sound like a 4 ch quad?

Many, many, many have heard it since being introduced ~ 50 years ago. When playing stereo to surround in a decoder much of the success depends on how close the stereo recording matches the decoding matrix. The Sansui synth takes a left only (right only) stereo input & assigns it to Left back (right back). So a musical instrument or sound panned left to right in stereo now becomes Left back> center left > Left Front > center front > Right Front> center right > Right back. Most impressive.

There is a huge amount of pre-existing info about QS/SQ/CD-4 stereo to surround on wiki and links on the QQ front page. Make use of those resources & they can explain so much.

Last edited:
I would describe the surround mode as listening to stereo through a magnifying glass. The stereo signal is stretched around the room 270°. recordings that contain only hard left, hard right and centre will reproduce from left and right back plus centre (usually vocals) from the front. If other signals are panned left and right of centre, they will reproduce from the front corners. The effect can sound like discrete quad at times.

Even those stereo records that are unimpressive in stereo (due to a narrow sound stage) are opened up in the syth mode. I find that they produce a more acceptable stereo image across the front with added bits popping up from the rear at times.

thanks guys, Im looking at (to buy) , the sansui qrx: 3500, the 4500, the 7001, 6001, 5500. now i notice that some of these have a discrete mode on the dial. and some say cd-4 on the dial. some say quad discrete on the dial. Does that mean all that say these 3 different things have a built in demodulator to play cd-4 vinyl? or does it just mean that you can dial in that mode but still need a demodulator hooked up to the back of the sansui? or will some of these models vs others have a built in demodulator? and any of these models preferable over others? thanks

thanks guys, Im looking at (to buy) , the sansui qrx: 3500, the 4500, the 7001, 6001, 5500. now i notice that some of these have a discrete mode on the dial. and some say cd-4 on the dial. some say quad discrete on the dial. Does that mean all that say these 3 different things have a built in demodulator to play cd-4 vinyl? or does it just mean that you can dial in that mode but still need a demodulator hooked up to the back of the sansui? or will some of these models vs others have a built in demodulator? and any of these models preferable over others? thanks

Not just Sansui (good choice) but in general if a receiver has a push button/ knob to select CD-4 the demodulator will be built in. If it has that plus discrete that is for perhaps another matrix type decoder or quad tape deck to plug in to.

If it only has a discrete input that is for an external CD-4 demodulator, decoder etc.

Again, in general Sansui QRX is preferred to QR & bigger model numbers are better. Funny how marketing works, eh?

I'm not really a receiver kinda guy & I think others can fill in more detail than me.

Edit: might want to check out this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/quad-101-with-a-sansui-slant.1949/

Some have been lobbying Involve Audio via the Surround Master V2 Pre-Order thread for them to add a QS synthesizer mode to their existing lineup of options:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-order-roster-discussion-thread.26116/page-42
My experience with upmixes from stereo to quad using Tate II Surround mode is that it produces results anywhere from spectacular to bizarre. As an example, the Tate II Surround processing of Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night sounds magnificent...as if it was a discrete production. However, The Beatles And Your Bird Can Sing sounds just plain weird when processed by the Tate, essentially unlistenable. Also, Tate II Surround mode can sometimes diminish impact and / or ambience of specific recordings.

While the Surround Master v2 does not produce results as spectacular as Tate II Surround, it also is artifact-free under all circumstances and never diminishes the impact or ambience of the original recording.

So, I'm wondering if any of you can comment on how QS synthesizer mode handles difficult tracks such as And Your Bird Can Sing. Also, has anyone detected any loss of impact and / or ambience when processing stereo through QS synthesizer mode?

So, I'm wondering if any of you can comment on how QS synthesizer mode handles difficult tracks such as And Your Bird Can Sing. Also, has anyone detected any loss of impact and / or ambience when processing stereo through QS synthesizer mode?

Sorry to be one of those people that can't directly answer your question but replies anyway :sneaky:....

I haven't heard And your Bird Can Sing through synth surround. But many of the Beatles early foray's in to stereo was bizarre in their own right. Sgt. Pepper from a stereo source is unlistenable in any form of surround. The mix is important. I have never experienced a loss of impact using either Sansui Synth, Fosgate Tate in stereo surround, or my SM v2 with pre-synth. The stereo synth methods for QS and SQ are vastly different. In the Fosgate 101A direct left only/right only sounds are moved to left back/right back. There is no change at all in rear ch ambience. Because of that subjectively it can sound a bit thinner or diminished ambience. The Sansui method also moves the direct sounds to the rears just like above but it also enhances any center back ambience & there fore sounds quite different than the stereo/SQ synth approach.

Back