Anyone see this also? Todd Rundgren 2021 Tour in concert “Virtually”

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doity

400 Club - QQ All-Star
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimrya...g-clearly-human-virtual-tour/?sh=32264f9fef11

He and his band are doing the Nearly Human album (1989) in it’s entirety. I guess that you can only buy tickets for your market if you live within a certain distance of the city that he is “playing in.” Evidently they have super-computers now that can figure this out, which really blows my mind. Each night is tailored specifically towards that city. An interesting concept for sure.

I saw this tour some 30 years ago and it is was one of the top two or three concerts that I have ever seen. Just magical, no other way to put it. I think I would rather see it in person though rather than watching through a IPad and cheap 1/8 inch speakers. I don’t know, but it doesn’t seem the same but at least it would be interesting being part of a first like this.

I saw both ('89 and now). For this one I used an HDMI adapter out of the Ipad to TV and mini plug in the headphone out of TV to RCAs on the stereo. Amazing show, took him a while to warm up but wow. Production had too many fast cuts, but that's modern style. Apparently some tickets allow one to change camera angles or something, which would be nice, but no time to think about that when there's a show like this going on. Songs from all eras in between NH songs. Live tickets in our area were around $300, virtual $30 for one device per household. Leave it to Todd to figure out the virtual tour thing.

I caught the "NYC" show from my living room. You can actually purchase a ticket to any (or every) show on the virtual tour.

I have pretty much been ignoring all the virtual concerts that musicians have been doing, even the free ones. Just not the same as being there. However for a variety of reasons that I won't go into, I decided to take the plunge on this one. I did enjoy it, although not nearly as much as seeing him in person. I also caught two shows on the original Nearly Human tour, both of which were amazing. Todd doesn't quite have the vocal range that he once did but his voice is still in much better shape than many his age. It was nice to see him playing with a large band again.

Todd is the artist who I have seen in concert more than any other. I've seen him more than 50 times. Always engaging and every tour is a new experience. I did however skip his last tour. In late 2018 he published a memoir and after reading it I was so disappointed in him that I wasn't interested in seeing him. I didn't listen to any of his music for at least a year. I am starting to get over it now though. ;-)

I think I know what you mean. I haven't read his book yet; partly because I fear the same cycle of disappointment you encountered, and partly because it just takes me forever to get around to things. But I've heard enough behind-the-scenes stories, and even direct quotes (particularly his juvenile animosity toward Andy Partridge) to put some tarnish on the golden idol. I do feel fortunate that it hasn't affected my ability to enjoy his music (so far).

Are any of these virtual concerts still available, or did I miss the virtual boat already?*

(Now playing: 1st Runt album)

*Edit: Oops, never mind, found the link, duh.

Last edited:
I caught the "NYC" show from my living room. You can actually purchase a ticket to any (or every) show on the virtual tour.

I have pretty much been ignoring all the virtual concerts that musicians have been doing, even the free ones. Just not the same as being there. However for a variety of reasons that I won't go into, I decided to take the plunge on this one. I did enjoy it, although not nearly as much as seeing him in person. I also caught two shows on the original Nearly Human tour, both of which were amazing. Todd doesn't quite have the vocal range that he once did but his voice is still in much better shape than many his age. It was nice to see him playing with a large band again.

Todd is the artist who I have seen in concert more than any other. I've seen him more than 50 times. Always engaging and every tour is a new experience. I did however skip his last tour. In late 2018 he published a memoir and after reading it I was so disappointed in him that I wasn't interested in seeing him. I didn't listen to any of his music for at least a year. I am starting to get over it now though. ;-)

Yeah Todd has a way of doing that doesn’t he? He sure is a complicated man that much I can say about him. The Nearly Human tour was just flawless in every way. The next time I saw him on the following tour he was back to ‘grumpy’ Todd, going on rants about whoever was getting the fame that he wasn’t. And then to top it off I was up front and after a song ended I reached out to try to get him to shake my hand and he mocked me from the stage. Never forgave him for that after following him through thick and thin. Sure maybe I was a touch enthusiastic but he could had just brushed me off and pretend that I wasn’t there.

I have met Kasim before and he was very appreciative that I showed up at some dinky club to see him with some no-name band. Even got a autograph from him.

Yeah Todd has a way of doing that doesn’t he? He sure is a complicated man that much I can say about him......
I have met Kasim before and he was very appreciative that I showed up at some dinky club to see him with some no-name band. Even got a autograph from him.

Yeah, complicated is probably the right word. To be fair, one of the reasons why the book was such a letdown was because I have had other experiences with him which were all positive. In the summer of 2009 I scored a phone interview with him. I had heard that he could be difficult but it turned out to be one of the easiest and most enjoyable interviews I've ever done. A few months later I was invited to an after-concert dinner with him and his band and he was a joy to meet in person. (Photos of me with him and Roger Powell below. Roger, btw, was wonderful to meet). I've also seen several of Kasim's solo shows, and yes, he always seems very appreciative of those who come out to see him.

So ultimately, while Todd's behavior can sometimes leave a lot to be desired, his body of work speaks for itself. He's an amazing songwriter, a visionary and innovator, a phenomenal producer and arranger, and can play some killer guitar solos. I guess I can put up with some rock star diva moments. 🤪

tr.jpg

rp.jpg

Back