Anyone want to defend Elliot Scheiner?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the point?
Feeding the trolls just makes them come back for more. Personally, I think Scheiner does a splendid job, and find Filipetti also does some great work - but they have different approaches, and saying one is better than the other is akin to saying Spector smokes Martin.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks

I'm not even going to open the link. One reason I don't post on "another forum" anymore is because of trolls and people that just like to get a rise out of others. I find QQ is a rarity in that for the most part we can have civil discussions and we don't have many s-disturbers here.

Some of my favorite mixes are from Scheiner and I have read the criticism over at AVSForums but declined to participate. One person's opinion is just that and as far as I know, there will never be a definitive way to mix stereo that all can agree upon, much less a definitive approach to surround mixes that all will agree is best. "Blood on the Tracks" was my first awareness of who Scheiner is and I can't think of a single misfire from him, although there must be at least a couple.

Chris

Some of my favorite mixes are from Scheiner and I have read the criticism over at AVSForums but declined to participate. One person's opinion is just that and as far as I know, there will never be a definitive way to mix stereo that all can agree upon, much less a definitive approach to surround mixes that all will agree is best. "Blood on the Tracks" was my first awareness of who Scheiner is and I can't think of a single misfire from him, although there must be at least a couple.

Chris

I have heard some of the REM ones he did are so so, but not being a fan of REM I haven't heard them. Blood On the Tracks was done with Phil Ramone (IIRC), and it's a lighter touch than the usual ES fare.

I have heard some of the REM ones he did are so so, but not being a fan of REM I haven't heard them. Blood On the Tracks was done with Phil Ramone (IIRC), and it's a lighter touch than the usual ES fare.

i have all the REM's except Monster and I find them all well done. I tend to think that because REM the band doesn't seem to get much love online these days, scheiner's fine work on these perhaps gets overlooked.

Sometimes it seems like DVD-A is just hanging on. Where are all the titles? Thankfully ES is out there supporting the format. And you can hardly fault his skills. Deadwing, Yoshi, In Absentia, Night at the Opera, Sea Change. I don't see any need to defend him.

I have two by REM, "In Time: The Best of 1988-2003" and "Automatic for the People", on DVD-A and if he did those, it was another good job in my opinion. I hope he does "Eponymous" in surround, or a new compilation of the IRS music by REM, but that is probably not very likely to happen.

Chris

Elliot Scheiner rocks! Anyone who is even remotely into surround-sound should appreciate everything he has done in the arena. Are there really people out there trashing him? Sorry, I won't visit the AVSForum for the very reasons already described. I would take any ES complaints there with a very large grain of salt.

I agree with Cai and Daved64.

ES has done so much for surround with his pristine work, why even visit the other forum.

QuadraphonicQuad is the best group of folks out here with a wealth of knowledge and understanding. Thanks to all who help keep this site up and running.:smokin

Elliot Scheiner rocks! Anyone who is even remotely into surround-sound should appreciate everything he has done in the arena. Are there really people out there trashing him? Sorry, I won't visit the AVSForum for the very reasons already described. I would take any ES complaints there with a very large grain of salt.

You would do well not to go there. I did and I am afraid if I do post it will definately be the last time there.

You would do well not to go there. I did and I am afraid if I do post it will definately be the last time there.

It's really hard to find a place to talk music without dopes ruining it. Even The Doors message board is nuts. Someone complained about the Perception box set, saying it's just the same crap over and over. I think having a nice package, 5.1, new stereo mixes AND the classic stereo mixes is a damn good deal! Of course I found the mandatory "Beatles suck" thread over there too. Insane.

Just recieved Donald Fagen/Morph the Cat. And yes It's Elliot. Most of my favorite mixes are ES. He always brings quality to the game. I do like "Alimentall" idea of putting a channel on the ceiling, That would OPEN it up.:D :D

Spence

Funny this being brought up at the moment. After what seems like an age of deciding if I should buy 'Sea Change' by Beck I ordered it recently and it finally came today. Had a good listen to it at lunchtime and although I need more time to listen to it properly the sound quality and mix sound incredible. I can see why many people refer to this as a reference SACD.

The guy on the avsforum just doesn't seem to like how Elliot Scheiner does his mixes at all and although entitled to his opinion I don't see how he can think he is crap! Maybe not to his taste but rubbish at surround mixing?? Don't think so..

Well I think I'll have a proper listen to Beck's album tonight and get my score up on the Hi-Rez Spotlight Discs. From what I heard earlier a 9 or 10 seems likely. And while I'm at it I think I'll listen to Africa on the 'Toto IV' disc. Ever since Elliot Scheiner mixed that song into multi-channel I haven't listened to it any other way since so I'm afraid I don't understand the mocking of his work by others. I think it's genius. (y)

I had to post one last time yesterday, but I really could go on with that guy. However, being an "Aged One", I now know that it would be FUTILE! :D

Aged maybe, definitely wise. I had a read the other day and thought your first post was right on, I'm staying clear.

Back