Anyone want to defend Elliot Scheiner?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I finally figured this guy out............He must have done work for Silverline! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:.:eek:

That's why he thinks his work is "STUNNING"! :smokin

He seems more subdued now. You can't blame him for standing up for what his convictions. There are many folks who agree with him, and in some cases he is, of course, correct.

It's the unilateral trashing of ES and "full suround" mixing that got me riled up. If his initial responses were more moderate, there would be no problem.

Heck, we have members here who prefer "ambient mixes", and sometimes that is what works best.

To each his own, but at least let's not belittle each other if we don't happen to agree on things.

Actually now that I have posted there a few times I actually understand some of his arguments. It's just the way he likes it. I also don't think that he has heard as many 5.1 titles as many of us here have. Each to his own.

there will never be a definitive way to mix stereo that all can agree upon, much less a definitive approach to surround mixes that all will agree is best.
Chris

Totally agree. I've sometimes found myself totally enjoying a surround mix someone else didn't like. Or the reverse where I've not liked something someone else likes. Sometimes, I might have preferred a more ambient mix; or other times perhaps a more aggressive mix. Or, my personal pet peeve---the various ways the center channel can be used or abused---can affect my enjoyment of a surround mix. So on and so forth. But in the end, I'd like to think we should be open-minded and realize that most approaches can be quite good.

That said, I definitely think Elliot Scheiner rocks! Sometimes, I think it could be argued that sometimes he can take quite a bit of liberty with his mixes; but he overall delivers a fairly high-quality product. He's probably the #1 guy. Of course, though, I've heard lots of stuff from other surround mixers that I like, too!

btw... I don't think I can bother to even read the thread over at AVS. I've grown tired of the bashing of SACD/DVD-A and surround sound in general. I can only imagine how Scheiner feels.

Anyone check this thread lately? (The one over at the AVS forum). ssully is putting up a good fight with this "mental" moron. He sure is pleased with himself.

Too funny!

I don't know why I chored through that thread. I must enjoy punishment.

My head hurts:mad:@: .

Talk about pointless dribble!

Geez, that's toxic. Good show to the QQ guys who argued over there, but Mr. Mental is proving to be true to his name...

I haven't read that thread, only a few posts but that is the same guy who didn't like the Porcupine Tree mixes a few months ago. It is clear he would like surround done a particular way and I suspect he knows what he likes well enough that his opinions will not change.

Chris

I haven't read that thread, only a few posts but that is the same guy who didn't like the Porcupine Tree mixes a few months ago. It is clear he would like surround done a particular way and I suspect he knows what he likes well enough that his opinions will not change.

Chris

Anyone that doesn't like ANY PT mix is nuts.:mad:@:

It's a sad testament to my current ennui that I can't find it in myself to go brawl with such a windbag...:D Obviously someone who doesn't like isolation in the rears, ignoring the fact that all formats--mono, stereo, multi--are arbitrary and kinda unreal. Scheiner does pretty good, but taking issue with his mixing logic seems rather pointless, multichannel fans should be lamenting lack of product more....

ED :)

I'm not a member at av but Alimentall said
I set up the 5.1 system for the dailies on Wyatt Earp
being in folm production I know the 5.1 mix is not done till months after the Dailies. so they may have used a 5.1 set up but they did not have a 5.1 mix at that time

I spoke too soon...inspired by Jon strapping on his brass balls and posting in the thread, decided to do the same...gently, of course, don't want to rile the natives...:D

I spoke too soon...inspired by Jon strapping on his brass balls and posting in the thread, decided to do the same...gently, of course, don't want to rile the natives...:D

You know, I thought I made a great point over there about cars always having speakers in the rear (and in the old days ONLY in the rear), but everytime I bring that up to an anti-surround guy who howls about how no sound should come from the rear, they never respond.

I guess that fact makes them tongue-tied! :mad:@: :smokin

Back