AP Cancels Catch Bull at Four & Teaser & the Firecat on SACD 2ch & LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
AP cancels 2ch SACD's & LP's of Catch Bull at Four and Teaser & the Firecat.

I received this E-Mail today from Music Direct: "Unfortunately, we have learned that Analogue Productions will no longer be releasing Cat Stevens “Catch Bull at Four” and “Teaser and the Firecat” on SACD and LP."

The items are no longer listed on Acoustic Sounds website, either.

cat-stevens-catch-bull-at-four-cover-art-18072.jpeg

0016512a_medium.jpeg

Yeah the Tea for the Tillerman SACD sounded too bright for my tastes.

These issues usually involve a problem with licensing, or availability of tapes needed to make a strong audiophile release. Can't imagine why there would be a problem with the latter, so it's curious that these were cancelled. As for sound quality, that's rarely an issue governing what is or what's not released. If that were true, MFSL would never have issued any Velvet Underground...I mean, what can you do to improve VU&NICO or WL/WH? What would you want to?

ED :)

You're right. But I remember in the old vinyl days of MFSL, they occasionally released an inferior product, although never on purpose, of course. The Doors' '67 debut was a good idea undermined by using what had to be a copy tape rather than the original stereo mixdown master. The flutter on the opening of "Break on Through" suggested that whatever tape was used was flawed and possibly worn. That should have been caught before it was sent to be mastered, but things happen. I don't have this particular Cat title so I can't speak to its brightness, but if that's the case, how did it get to the street? I mean, that's something you'd have to be deaf to miss, since anyone putting out audiophile titles should be able to tell what's right sonically and what's wrong with popular titles like TEA that have been around for decades. The more common an album is, the easier it should be to spot any sonic flaws you don't remember from the past.

Which still doesn't explain why these two titles are being canned. A shame, although anyone wanting optimum sound for Cat can simply go to original UK Island Lp pressings for a fine alternative, though such sound quality should be easy enough to obtain through CD, too.

ED :)

I recall reading somewhere quite recently that the artist (sorry, not sure what name he is using at this point in time) has changed management and they weren't in favour of these releases.

I recall reading somewhere quite recently that the artist (sorry, not sure what name he is using at this point in time) has changed management and they weren't in favour of these releases.

Both theories - lack of quality master tapes and lack of artist and/or management firm approval - have sunk previous remaster plans for other SACDs and DVD Audio discs.
So that could be the case here as well.

Back