APOLLO 13 GOLD MCA CD - w/Dolby Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Back in the early 90's?, I think, I believe it was Universal, released a SPECIAL EDITION GOLD CD in DOLBY SURROUND.

You probably know about this (Clint) but if not or for those who are not aware, it contained some very good songs in Dolby Surround by artists such as: JAMES BROWN-NIGHT TRAIN, THE YOUNG RASCALS-GROOVIN, JEFFERSON AIRPLANE-SOMEBODY TO LOVE, THE WHO-I CAN SEE FOR MILES, NORMAN GREENBAUM-SPIRIT IN THE SKY, HANK WILLIAMS-HONKY TONKIN', THE MAVERICKS-BLUE MOON.
The incidental music by James Horner.

My daughter loved this disc for the above arists-so I gave it to her.......but later put a copy on my mp3 player.
The only drawback was dialog from the actors was included.....but does not interrupt the artist tracks.

Anyway I recommend this cd......with it's eclectic selection.

Nope not discrete... matrix encoded - will playback via Dolby Pro Logic.

An early attempt at surround on filmtracks, but you got to give some credit to the sound engineering, after all there are not to many mp matrix cd's produced like this one that took on the task of mixing (upmixing most likely) the popular music on the film's soundtrack.

Missing in my download is JIMI HENDRIX-PURPLE HAZE
I could have sworn this was on the SPECIAL EDITION but couldn't confirm it until now (thanks Clint)
BTW that track sounds very good in surround.

008.JPGThe disc

Thanks for the tip on this disc. I really like a lot of these Dolby discs, so it's always awesome to hear about one that got by me! I ordered one from Amazon... hopefully the right disc shows up!

Thanks for this. In the meantime I picked up the movie on HD DVD the only real Hi Rez for a penny plus shipping. Looking forward to seeing it again and getting this disc

Thanks for the tip on this disc. I really like a lot of these Dolby discs, so it's always awesome to hear about one that got by me! I ordered one from Amazon... hopefully the right disc shows up!

Please let us know what shows up Analogue

I received a gold disc exactly like the one pictured above. No surround setup right now to give it a spin properly, but it sure LOOKS nice!

Koo koo koo - Snood ordered one also only after contacting the seller to make sure :banana:

Please let us know how it decodes! :rolleyes:

Certainly not shooting for the stars with this one..........just some of the tunes might be interesting to hear in s soundscape that might be a lot different than stereo.

Think Snood paid $8.45 in all for it so, if it a stinker - oh well.

Not expecting discrete.......but surely hoping to hear a few of these songs in a hopefully different format that might get Snood a lil excited. :banana:

Certainly not shooting for the stars with this one..........just some of the tunes might be interesting to hear in s soundscape that might be a lot different than stereo.

Think Snood paid $8.45 in all for it so, if it a stinker - oh well.

Not expecting discrete.......but surely hoping to hear a few of these songs in a hopefully different format that might get Snood a lil excited. :banana:

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I wonder why they never made anymore like this with the album tracks INTACT and in SURROUND???

Back