Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, as several hours have passed, I've been noticing that Apple is loading more and more music into the spatial/Atmos categories. Several stand outs that I've not seen on Tidal include: November Rain, What It Takes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Separate Ways, Knockin' On Heavens Door (GnR), Bad Case of Loving You, Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Smooth Criminal, Rock and Roll All Nite, What's Up....in the rock playlist...https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/rock-in-spatial-audio/pl.a82d7ac0ee854d8b8a95708c76210023
I am looking at that playlist and it doesn’t have November Rain, What It Takes, Won’t Get Fooled Again or Knockin on Heavens Door.

Also didn’t someone say that Tidal or Amazon had Coldplay Everyday Life in Atmos? I don’t see that on Apple either.

It's very strange, I cannot add it to the library, I wonder if there are some regional limitations here (wouldn't make much sense as we're both in Europe). May I ask what you did to look for the album?
I searched from the „Discover“ page at „New Music in 3D-Audio“. There it is!
Jep, we are both in the EU….should be no problem.

I am using a Apple TV 4K into my Marantz receiver which can decode Atmos and downmix it to my 5.1 system. It sounds like it is playing in surround however the Marantz is showing me Stereo as the input and 'Dolby Surround' as the output. I have Atmos turned on in the Apple TV settings and it works correctly with the Apple TV Tidal app.

Anyone got any idea if I am getting Atmos correctly or the Marantz is creating 5.1 from the stereo ?

Thanks
Try this: On Apple TV 4K, go to Settings/Apps/Music/
Dolby Atmos Select: Automatic
Music Quality Select: Lossless

I had a similar issue yesterday and was only getting Stereo @48k. There appeared to be surround but it was being processed by the receiver. By turning Lossless on I'm now getting 7.1 48k/24 LPCM on the Dolby Atmos tracks from the Apple TV 4K. Not sure why? Still experimenting... I picked up that hint from an Apple news site this morning.

I am using a Apple TV 4K into my Marantz receiver which can decode Atmos and downmix it to my 5.1 system. It sounds like it is playing in surround however the Marantz is showing me Stereo as the input and 'Dolby Surround' as the output. I have Atmos turned on in the Apple TV settings and it works correctly with the Apple TV Tidal app.

Anyone got any idea if I am getting Atmos correctly or the Marantz is creating 5.1 from the stereo ?
If it says stereo input, then that's what it's working with. The confusingly-named "Dolby Surround" is the newest implementation of Pro Logic, i.e. on-the-fly surround upmixing. So, yes: your Marantz receiver is creating faux surround by what it perceives to be a stereo input signal.

If I try to hear something 'Spatial Sound' then I get the message:
‘The topic is not available in your country. Try switching back to your account's registered store '
WTF?
Zero out of 5 stars until now....

I can't get spatial audio surround playback on my 2015 27" iMac with a multichannel audio interface and studio monitors, so far. The Atmos and Lossless options are there in the macOS Music app and I have set Atmos to Always, but the "Spatial Audio" tracks just play in stereo. DVDs, Blu-Rays, multi-channel ALAC/FLAC/WAV, and even some streaming properly use my 5.1 setup through the Focusrite to play multichannel audio, but not Spatial Audio yet.

Nothing spatial from the Mac in my AirPods Pro, either, but I expected that since the iMac is older.

The weirdest thing is, even after turning on all of the Music options in Settings on my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9", I am not getting anything Spatial-sounding from my AirPods Pro there either.

Spatial Audio uses Dolby Atmos, your Focusrite does not understand Dolby Atmos so that's why everything is in stereo

Try this: On Apple TV 4K, go to Settings/Apps/Music/
Dolby Atmos Select: Automatic
Music Quality Select: Lossless

I had a similar issue yesterday and was only getting Stereo @48k. There appeared to be surround but it was being processed by the receiver. By turning Lossless on I'm now getting 7.1 48k/24 LPCM on the Dolby Atmos tracks from the Apple TV 4K. Not sure why? Still experimenting... I picked up that hint from an Apple news site this morning.

Are you sure that you've selected Dolby Atmos content in Apple Music?

And if you search only for the Ramones album itself? And play a song? I‘ve done it that way also to check for you and it is tagged with Atmos
I've just tried again. There's only the 40th anniversary version of the album, tagged as lossless and that's it, it only plays in stereo.
Maybe we do have different content on a per country basis

Back