Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s interesting about this, is that the Blu Ray disc wasn’t in Dolby Atmos.
Here's one that does surprise me though; GHS was just done in it's entirety in BD Atmos, but when I pull up the Atmos related album link, it's only showing an asterisk on "Angie" but the song that's listed on the Rock Genre page for being Atmos is actually "Can You Hear The Music"; so now I'm thinking it can be either per song on an album or the whole album.

trs ghs- angie.jpg

At last I could listen to Apple Music with Spatial Sound..... What is it? Binaural surround sound? For me it just sounds like stereo (with an extra amount of reverb)
Any of you who got more that 2 channels out of it?

I'm listening to Pepper again and liking the mix more and more. Not very adventurous*, but it has its moments to shine. And mastering is not as aggressive as the 5.1 in the Blu-ray
*Just reached Good Morning and the rooster on the heights just startled me o_O. Lots of activity everywhere on this track. Good stuff!
** And the sudden transition to stereo for A Day in the Life is jarring. I hope this is a mistake that will be corrected

Here's one that does surprise me though; GHS was just done in it's entirety in BD Atmos, but when I pull up the Atmos related album link, it's only showing an asterisk on "Angie" but the song that's listed on the Rock Genre page for being Atmos is actually "Can You Hear The Music"; so now I'm thinking it can be either per song on an album or the whole album.

View attachment 67856

Looks like the U.K. Government is in charge of this roll out.....:(:)

There are more blatant mistakes. The Future Bites is tagged as Atmos (full Atmos) but only half of the songs are in Atmos whereas the others are in stereo. Being fair with Tidal, at least there were a bit more consistent...

So Take it easy is on that playlist and when I click on that album that song has a star next to it. I don't have an appletv 4k yet so I can't test it but am I correct in assuming that every song on that album that has a star next to it means that song is a atmos song? If not, what does the star mean?
The star means a most popular song listened to by users of Apple Music

I’m only getting The Future Bites and Sgt Pepper in high res stereo. No Atmos.

The problem with the labels on the Album is that it will only show "Dolby Atmos" on the Album if all the songs in the album are available in Dolby Atmos.
You would need to play each track to find out which ones (if any) are available in Dolby Atmos.

In Tidal, if there are any single tracks that are available in Atmos (but the whole album is not in Atmos), then the tracks will appear separately under "EPs and Singles".

That's from your iPhone, right? Did you try with Apple TV?
You screenshot shows "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Deluxe Edition)".
It shows the Dolby Atmos label on the album, which would mean all the tracks are available in Atmos.

I'm in the U.S. and I see an album "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Deluxe Edition) [2017 Remix & Remaster]"
The main tracks are available in Atmos, but the album includes extra tracks (Take 1, Take 9, etc) that are only available in Lossless.
So it doesn't show the Dolby Atmos label on the album.

Edit:
It's inconsistent.
If I search and open an album, then it doesn't show the Dolby Atmos label on the album (if some but not all tracks are in Atmos).
But if I open the same album from my Library, it shows the Dolby Atmos label on the album.

Last edited:
That's from your iPhone, right? Did you try with Apple TV?
I tried with ATV4K. No dice. The cool thing about Apple Music is that if it shows the Atmos logo on my phone, I can also get it that way via ATV4K.

Edit: some of the TFB tracks are Atmos…5 of them: Self, Unself, Man of the People, Follower and Unease.

And this version of Sgt Pepper appears to be Atmos!! https://music.apple.com/us/album/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-super-deluxe-edition/1435552131

Last edited:
Also noting that some of the tracks in their Atmos playlists are NOT playing in Atmos on my system. Tom Sawyer for example. i expected some growing pains with a new launch, guess this par for the course.
All Over You from Live's Throwing Copper is also not in Atmos, despite being on the Rock list. I don't even think it's lossless! Definitely still a few kinks to work out here or there. Like the Day in the Life thing. I am sure they are going through and working out kinks. It's a huge rollout.

All Over You from Live's Throwing Copper is also not in Atmos, despite being on the Rock list. I don't even think it's lossless! Definitely still a few kinks to work out here or there. Like the Day in the Life thing. I am sure they are going through and working out kinks. It's a huge rollout.
All Over You is playing in Atmos for me…certainly can’t say that it sounds great. Perhaps the original recording wasn’t mastered well either.

Attachments

• 8FC75E7C-B87D-4924-A04D-D12C87942951.jpeg
    8FC75E7C-B87D-4924-A04D-D12C87942951.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 54
Back