Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run of the Mill from All Things Must Pass 50th anniversary is already available in Atmos. And it's too late for me here to play it aloud. Please somebody play it for me and comment on the mix
Edit: I could not resist the temptation and played it at very low volume. And bad news, rears and heights seem to be a carbon copy of the fronts. It may sound fine at a decent volume, but forget about a discreet mix.
This type of review may save a lot of folks on this forum about $125-150.

Yes, but how does the Atmos-encoded Apple Music get played back on a Mac? With software decoding, obviously.

(1) pti started a topic / question: How to play Atmos on:

Mac ---> multi-channel Audio interface (example Focusrite) ----> multi-channel speaker setup

(2) Casper-I said that's not going to work (today).
If you want to listen to Atmos on a proper surround speaker setup, the only way is through an AVR (today).
Which is correct ( with an Apple TV ).

(3) You said:
Or a software decoder for Atmos, which it sounds like Apple is building into macOS Monterey as part of their adoption of "spatial audio."

(4) So I'm interested in that solution, if that's true.
I don't care if it's a software solution or whatever, I want to be able to play Atmos on a desktop (Mac) without a receiver on a proper surround speaker setup, like in (1) above.

Is the song All Things Must Pass in Atmos also?
Do you have comments on the Run of the Mill atmos mix?
Neither is on Tidal in atmos :(
Run of the Mill sounds great, but I would concur with @César, at first listen it sounds like the 2 channel run through 7 channel stereo. Will listen again in the afternoon when I can crank it a bit.

I don't care if it's a software solution or whatever, I want to be able to play Atmos on a desktop (Mac) without a receiver on a proper surround speaker setup, like in (1) above.
Right, so if the Atmos decoder software already exists in macOS Monterey, it stands to reason that the decoder could scale output to any number of speakers, just like the Atmos decoder in a receiver. Then, you should be able to connect an audio interface with multichannel outputs, map them in Audio MIDI Setup, and Bob's your uncle.

I’m still thinking to buy a Apple 4K TV Box, for the music service, but my Panasonic TV does not support Apple. Would I be unable to watch films on my TV ??

If you have a Aple TV box, the only thing your Panasonic needs to accept is a 4K signal over HDMI. WHat Panasonic does not support is the AppleTV app, but it also does not support Disney app and some others.
I have a 2021 AplleTV 4K and no problem to watch movies from Apple TV. My Panasonic has no problems, I do have my Apple TV connected via my Denon for the Atmos, and this works like a charm. Tidal, Netflix and Disney give also Atmos and HDR. The good thing from Panaonic is they support HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

If you have a Aple TV box, the only thing your Panasonic needs to accept is a 4K signal over HDMI. WHat Panasonic does not support is the AppleTV app, but it also does not support Disney app and some others.
I have a 2021 AplleTV 4K and no problem to watch movies from Apple TV. My Panasonic has no problems, I do have my Apple TV connected via my Denon for the Atmos, and this works like a charm. Tidal, Netflix and Disney give also Atmos and HDR. The good thing from Panaonic is they support HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Thanks for that info. I’m more tempted to buy an Apple 4K box now. Just off the top of my head, does the box just have to be connected to the AVR ( or TV, as well ) ?

Right, so if the Atmos decoder software already exists in macOS Monterey, it stands to reason that the decoder could scale output to any number of speakers, just like the Atmos decoder in a receiver. Then, you should be able to connect an audio interface with multichannel outputs, map them in Audio MIDI Setup, and Bob's your uncle.
Where did you find that info that it will be implemented to output to external audio ?
The only info I can find is "Spatial Stereo" which simulates surround on stereo sources to earphones/headphones.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. I’m more tempted to buy an Apple 4K box now. Just off the top of my head, does the box just have to be connected to the AVR ( or TV, as well ) ?
Well this Mr Impatient has bought one, due for collection today from a local store!!

Will give an update when it's up and running 🏃‍♂️

The audio and video signals need a path from the Apple TV box to the TV in order to see video. The way I do it is Apple TV box to AVR, then AVR to TV, using HDMI. The other way to do it would be Apple TV box to TV, then TV to AVR, using HDMI ARC if your TV has an HDMI ARC connection.

Back