Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep checking this thread every 10 minutes in the hopes that someone found an Eagles quad mix. Or Aerosmith. Or Joni Mitchell. Or ZZ Top. 😀
I'd be especially on the lookout for more Sony controlled quad. If BOC has T&M up on Apple, well then Johnny & Edgar are not so distant and improbable. George and Tammy, and Mac Davis are sitting there waiting for Apple to get them uploaded is all. The RCA vaults are overflowing with cheap titles with no blocks on them.

I am not using any sort of ATMOS system. I am going directly into my Oppo 103 to play back everything in 5.1. Previously, I would have to have the box set to Dolby Digital 5.1 to hear it in surround. Now, if I switch the audio format and switch back it plays in LPCM 5.1 and it doesn't have to stay in Dolby Digital.
I wonder if the RCA rec outputs can capture an Apple quad stream from my AVR?

I knew that there was a reason I insisted on my outboard recorder being 6-channel.
:love:
😍
Its why I got the 6 channel Tascam Digital Recorder, I thought 4.0/5.1 it'll handle it if I can't get a direct digital rip. Then along comes lots of 7.1/Atmos 🤪 mind you you can tag 2 of the machines together (not sure I want the expense!)

😍
Its why I got the 6 channel Tascam Digital Recorder, I thought 4.0/5.1 it'll handle it if I can't get a direct digital rip. Then along comes lots of 7.1/Atmos 🤪 mind you you can tag 2 of the machines together (not sure I want the expense!)
Any good computer recorder like GoldWave can easily do the additional 2 channels... to be synch'd up with the 5.1 channels.

btw, I got the TASCAM DR-680. Been doing a ton of recording on it, so nice to be free of a Windows environment when doing my needle drops to 24/96khz.

DV will not be thrilled with the Sony / BMG Quad catalogs rolling out on streaming. But they can be sure that the market for those that want their hard copies of physical media will still want their hard copies in hand. They likely could have issued BOC T&M, but were busy with other titles first.

@fredblue posted this earlier. Can you, blue, or anyone help me on this? I've never owned anything from apple, but am considering buying the dumb TV4k thingie to get on the spatial train. I noticed sales on previous generation TV4ks - so does that mean they're about to release some new thing that will make the old thing obsolete? Seems like something apple does.
Or does this article mean that they're making atmos work on the lower level apple TVs just to get it out there more? Just seems weird they included it and HD with the basic apple music for free.
Anyone know anything about this, or does anyone want to start a QQ music service?
:SG
https://www.whathifi.com/news/spati...apple-tv-on-20th-september-as-part-of-tvos-15

So I just bought my AppleTV 4k box and as part of the setup (or in settings - I forget) there is an option to upgrade to TVos 15 which has the atmos and Dolby audio option. When the box was first installed with TVos 14 there was no option for Atmos. So one that you would buy now has the option to upgrade for free. I also believe that it is a Beta version of 15 but I have been using it and it seems to work flawlessly on the box and on the iPad as well

I know. I have been looking on my iPad at artists that I know are in surround. It's really too hard to do it on the box. It's a shame that you can't just search on Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio. And I can get Dolby Atmos on my Samsung phone but the Dolby Audio titles show up as "lossless".

I am not using any sort of ATMOS system. I am going directly into my Oppo 103 to play back everything in 5.1. Previously, I would have to have the box set to Dolby Digital 5.1 to hear it in surround. Now, if I switch the audio format and switch back it plays in LPCM 5.1 and it doesn't have to stay in Dolby Digital.

For the Atmos tracks, have you compared any Apple Atmos, to the blu-ray releases to see if you are losing any top channel sounds? I was under the impression that the Oppo's don't support Dolby MAT format. Thanks.

Not really. Actually I played All Things Must Pass in 5.1 off the Blu Ray and what I get through the Oppo from the Atmos stream from the 4k box sounds the same to me.

Apple should just put every album/song that mixed in multichannel under it's spatial audio category. They can keep the playlists but also have an "all" category.

Not really. Actually I played All Things Must Pass in 5.1 off the Blu Ray and what I get through the Oppo from the Atmos stream from the 4k box sounds the same to me.

That's good news. I have heard conflicting reports so I have held off getting an Apple 4K box for my Oppo. There is something else the box could come in handy for (ChannelsDVR) so I may end up getting one. Thanks again.

Back