Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst thing about it is that I had a ticket open and the feedback was „diagnosis not possible“
I opened a bug report with a sysdiagnose file. This is essential for them to figure out what is happening.

what I did:
1 Mark the times of each action in step 2- so they can map actions to logs
2. Power up Apple TV, play a song with the issue halfway, then restart the track (should work fine now)
3. Immediately hold down the play/pause button and the volume down button for 6 seconds. This will start generating the sysdiagnose file and it should take 2+ minutes.
4. Once done you can export the file to a Mac or iOS device via AirDrop and attach it to your feedback ticket

Last edited:
dunno where we're posting about this Dolby Audio Quad stuff?

anyway here's one of the Harold Melvin Quads just gone up in Surround on Apple Music! crikey!! 🤯

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/wake-up-everybody-bonus-track-version/292759865

That is an interesting one, as the tracks show they have Dolby Atmos AND Dolby Audio versions in the store. I do get just Dolby Audio when I play on my AppleTV and get info in my Music library though. The album doesn't show either since the bonus track is just stereo.

Last edited:
The only thing that works for me to restore Dolby Atmos on ATV is for the song to play for 5-10 seconds then hit rewind to the beginning and it works every time. If I let it play to the next song, it stays in DA, but if I manually choose another song I have to go through the rewind procedure again. Been a couple of weeks and this is getting old already.🙄

The only thing that works for me to restore Dolby Atmos on ATV is for the song to play for 5-10 seconds then hit rewind to the beginning and it works every time. If I let it play to the next song, it stays in DA, but if I manually choose another song I have to go through the rewind procedure again. Been a couple of weeks and this is getting old already.🙄
I’ve found a better - but still suboptimal - workaround. Go into the Apple TV 4K settings and doing the following will restore 24/48 Atmos and 5.1.

1) Video and Audio
2) Audio Format
3) Change Format: On [Leave “New Format” as Dolby Digital 5.1]
4) Change Format
5) Change Format: Off

From there on out, you will get the proper format, resolution and channel assignments. The problem is it appears you have to do this everytime you turn the Apple TV 4K off and then back on. I haven’t tried simply leaving the Apple TV on 24/7, but I suspect this might work as a workaround until Apple fixes the bug.

Yes...which I have.
Should have said that the streaming mix is fantastic...

But it then leaves the question as to where Dutton now go?

Hopefully, fingers crossed, onwards and upwards!!

good question! i guess DV will be ok so long as enough people into all this stuff are still happily buying discs and don't all go over to the dark side of the Atmos!?

tbh i doubt Sony will have used DV's mastering on this one anyway, so that might swing it for some Surround folk and those who want true Hi-Res Lossless of SACD (?).. i will try and compare this new streaming jobby with the Harold Melvin SACD over the weekend.

I’ve found a better - but still suboptimal - workaround. Go into the Apple TV 4K settings and doing the following will restore 24/48 Atmos and 5.1.

1) Video and Audio
2) Audio Format
3) Change Format: On
4) Change Format
5) New Format
8) Change Format: Off

From there on out, you will get the proper format, resolution and channel assignments. The problem is it appears you have to do this everytime you turn the Apple TV 4K off and then back on. I haven’t tried simply leaving the Apple TV on 24/7, but I suspect this might work as a workaround until Apple fixes the bug.

great! i will try this tonight! thanks 🙂

great! i will try this tonight! thanks 🙂
Note I made some edits to the steps after you responded. I think I have them right.

Bottom line is...you want to turn the Auto format off and then back on.

Update: Fyi, I just found out hitting track forward or track back reverts to the bug...ugggh

Last edited:

1) Video and Audio
2) Audio Format
3) Change Format: On [Leave “New Format” as Dolby Digital 5.1]
4) Change Format
5) Change Format: Off

I use the volume back and forward thingy.
Bit less faffing about, for me.
But not much I grant you.
My Apple box is on the latest release...
How did they balls this up?
Ain't no one doing a quality check before pressing go?

I use the volume back and forward thingy.
Bit less faffing about, for me.
But not much I grant you.
My Apple box is on the latest release...
How did they balls this up?
Ain't no one doing a quality check before pressing go?
What’s baffling about a few steps? It takes about 15 seconds and then you’re good to go until you turn everything off. That’s seems significantly better than having to RR with every song (unless I‘m misunderstanding).

How did Apple screw it up? Have you never used a Apple product? I can’t count the number of times they‘ve made things worse by improving them...

Last edited:
What’s baffling about a few steps? It takes about 15 seconds and then you’re good to go until you turn everything off. That’s seems significantly better than having to RR with every song (unless I‘m misunderstanding).

How did Apple screw it up? Have you never used a Apple product? I can’t count the number of times they‘ve make things worse by improving them...
I'm an Apple newby.....
My younger brother swears by Apple...
Sometimes quite a lot... :D

good question! i guess DV will be ok so long as enough people into all this stuff are still happily buying discs and don't all go over to the dark side of the Atmos!?

tbh i doubt Sony will have used DV's mastering on this one anyway, so that might swing it for some Surround folk and those who want true Hi-Res Lossless of SACD (?).. i will try and compare this new streaming jobby with the Harold Melvin SACD over the weekend.

I have to think Michael's remasterings will always sound better at any resolution. Seems likely that many of these Dolby Audio quads are just flat transfers of masters that were recently liberated from the vaults.

Back