Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the latest releases....

Although I'm just playing David Gilmour and Pink Floyd all day....I've never known anything like this.

It's almost too much to take in....in a very nice way.

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/optimist/1579352655?ls
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/midnight-horses-ep/1587392720?ls
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/you/1477852512?ls
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/dopamine/1440848871?ls
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/when-christmas-comes-around/1586039341?ls
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/what-a-song-can-do-bonus-videos-edition/1580136215?ls
Well, the ones I've found , of course there maybe others....what a strange way of non-marketing these releases.

Last edited:
Ok, I found out where the limitation is: Apple TV 4K maximum quality is 24/48. To get higher rates you need iPhone or iPad and an external DAC.
At a certain moment Apple promised to get the higher rates in the tvOS 15, but it seems they failed to
you mean iphone with dac then stream to apple tv 4K?? Instead of using AM app on the ATV?

Huh, this Floyd/Gimour stuff is acting really flakey for me (Pennsylvania, US)—all of the other Atmos titles I'm familiar with to date are playing fine so the issues aren't universal... feels like they might still be working out the kinks with this stuff.

Despite the Atmos logos (on those that don't also have video content), Momentary Lapse, On an Island, Delicate Sound, Endless River and Pompeii are showing up on my receiver as Multichannel In but will only play in stereo no matter how much I futz around... Rattle That Lock does the same although it's clear that the front speakers are playing two channels of the 5.1 mix until I "shock" the receiver and tell it again that it's "Atmos", and then I can get that one to play the 5.1 mix. Wacky.

Huh, this Floyd/Gimour stuff is acting really flakey for me (Pennsylvania, US)—all of the other Atmos titles I'm familiar with to date are playing fine so the issues aren't universal... feels like they might still be working out the kinks with this stuff.

Despite the Atmos logos (on those that don't also have video content), Momentary Lapse, On an Island, Delicate Sound, Endless River and Pompeii are showing up on my receiver as Multichannel In but will only play in stereo no matter how much I futz around... Rattle That Lock does the same although it's clear that the front speakers are playing two channels of the 5.1 mix until I "shock" the receiver and tell it again that it's "Atmos", and then I can get that one to play the 5.1 mix. Wacky.
This is a bug with Dolby Audio not Atmos.
When you play a track for 5-6 seconds, skip back and the track plays as intended.

Those tracks are not Atmos, they are Dolby Audio which is as you say 5.1. There is a well known bug that they often don't play properly either just from the front left speaker or some muddled stereo. The quick way to fix it when you notice it is to simply skip back to the beginning of the track. It will then play properly. Then call Apple and report it.

I opened a bug report using the Feedback Assistant app (I have a developer account) on Sept. 21 and there is no indication anyone has looked at it and it says there are no other similar reports. Sigh.

Those tracks are not Atmos, they are Dolby Audio which is as you say 5.1. There is a well known bug that they often don't play properly either just from the front left speaker or some muddled stereo. The quick way to fix it when you notice it is to simply skip back to the beginning of the track. It will then play properly. Then call Apple and report it.

I opened a bug report using the Feedback Assistant app (I have a developer account) on Sept. 21 and there is no indication anyone has looked at it and it says there are no other similar reports. Sigh.

Yes, it happens to me too just with Dolby Audio (non Atmos) tracks. Just skip back after a few seconds on the first track and the sound will revert to 5.1 instead of mono (left speaker) or muddled stereo. Hope Apple is going to correct this nuisance with a future update.

Ah jeez, yeah I saw some chatter about that previously but this is the first time I've experienced it personally so I thought whatever it was I was miraculously avoiding. 😬

I sincerely appreciate you repeating it here for me, though—THANK YOU!

I've attached a pic of what needs to be fiddled with to get the 5.1 mix.

Attachments

• Polish_20211020_162814012.jpg
    Polish_20211020_162814012.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 83
I have all my parts and pieces ready to play Apple Lossless in stereo from my iPhone.
I purchased the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red, and the appropriate dongle, (fire plug to USB) and Pioneer headphones wired to the Dragonfly.
I am very slow, so next step will be to actually listen to the new set up.
I'll keep you posted.

Not for me.

Update: There are two versions out there. The 2015 version - with (Live in Gdansk) following the song title is the 5.1. The 2008 version - with (Live) following the song title is stereo only.
Well my version from 2008 will play in 5.1
It does'nt say Dolby Audio but my amp shows the multi ch is playing, as confirmed by my ears!!

NE="Quiet Beatle, post: 591535, member: 16787"]
you mean iphone with dac then stream to apple tv 4K?? Instead of using AM app on the ATV?
[/QUOTE]
No, no, iPhone with DAC directly attached to your receiver

Not for me.

Update: There are two versions out there. The 2015 version - with (Live in Gdansk) following the song title is the 5.1. The 2008 version - with (Live) following the song title is stereo only.
This is the aspect of Apple Music that is really irritating. Same problem for The Endless River. The Deluxe Edition is in stereo and shows up in the chronology of Pink Floyd Albums. I can only find the 5.1 version by searching for "The Endless River."

Well my version from 2008 will play in 5.1
It does'nt say Dolby Audio but my amp shows the multi ch is playing, as confirmed by my ears!!
They both say 2008 once you click on the album. But when searching, before choosing the album, there is a version which says it the 2008 version and another which says its the 2015 version.

What do the song titles indicate?

This is the aspect of Apple Music that is really irritating. Same problem for The Endless River. The Deluxe Edition is in stereo and shows up in the chronology of Pink Floyd Albums. I can only find the 5.1 version by searching for "The Endless River."
Interesting. I found the 5.1 of Endless River right off when I looked at Pink Floyd albums.

But I certainly believe you.

I had to work hard to find the Gdansk 5.1.

Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is now here in Atmos. Too late to listen, unfortunately.
Will it be less dynamically crushed than the CD version?
https://music.apple.com/es/album/back-to-black/1422677780?lsOn headphones it sounds a bit harsh...
Even the BDPA sounded real noisy, loud and crushed to me, but it will be interesting to hear what was done to the mix.

Anyone know what that 2020 Blu-ray De-clipped Download entry is here?:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr-max/desc?artist=Amy+Winehouse&album=Back+To+Black

Tattoo You by The Stones will be available in Dolby Atmos. Apple Music exclusive I suppose since the physical product, unlike Goats Head Soup super deluxe, is limited to cds: no Atmos blu Ray in sight.

https://music.apple.com/it/album/tattoo-you-deluxe/1584840337

The animated ablum covers they are now able to do with digital music offerings are pretty cool. Album covers were always a big thing to me (and I bet a lot of you guys as well) and to have them now animated like this one is like a whole new rebirth of the album.

Last edited:
Back