Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the search and it returned many playlists that say Atmos, but none that I tried actually played back in Atmos. Note that I am using an Apple TV 4K connected to an Atmos equipped AVR with a 7.1.4 speaker setup. Everything on Spotify is playing back in stereo for me (and I have the premium tier of Spotify). All of the playlists appear to be user-generated, nothing that I saw from Spotify officially.

Again: I'm inferring that to play Atmos, etc., you'll have to sign up for the new "Spotify HiFi" tier--which is different from, and probably more expensive than, Spotify Premium, and which so far seems to be available only in select test markets. I'm guessing that's where the user-generated playlists come from--users in those test markets.

Again: I'm inferring that to play Atmos, etc., you'll have to sign up for the new "Spotify HiFi" tier--which is different from, and probably more expensive than, Spotify Premium, and which so far seems to be available only in select test markets. I'm guessing that's where the user-generated playlists come from--users in those test markets.
Ok, that makes sense. I hope they are close to rolling something out, to give an alternative to Apple, since I am a longtime fan of Spotify. (But Apple has exceeded my expectations in this area so not a bad place to be either. Win-win either way the way I see it.)

I suppose you're right, but there were lots of music I would love to hear in Atmos. :cool:

My buddy has Spotify, & some of the DSOTM songs, like Money & Time ARE in DOLBY ATMOS
I still like the Parson's/Quad 4.0 version the best
Are they the studio versions from TDSOTM or the live versions from Delicate Sound Of Thunder?

I have a hard time believing there are Atmos mixes of the studio versions of those two songs.

Last edited:
"marcb, post: 596786, member: 5463"]
Are they the studio versions from TDSOTM or the live versions from Delicate Sound Of Thunder?

I have a hard time believing there are Atmos mixes of those two songs.
[/QUOTE]
We can easily know if you tell us the songs duration

Happy to report with the latest software update , 15.1.1 the Atmos bug seems to be gone at least over here (Greece ).. listened to Atmos music for over an hour, switched to non Atmos tracks , back to Atmos , no issues whatsoever . Hope it never comes back !

Happy to report with the latest software update , 15.1.1 the Atmos bug seems to be gone at least over here (Greece ).. listened to Atmos music for over an hour, switched to non Atmos tracks , back to Atmos , no issues whatsoever . Hope it never comes back !
Someone else reported - on another thread perhaps - the beta version eliminated the bug. Great news.

I have a hard time believing there are Atmos mixes of the studio versions of those two songs.
The versions I saw in the playlist(s) are the studio versions. There are no indicators or labelling indicating they were mixed in Atmos. I got the sense from the names of some of these Spotify playlists that the lists were really just a combination of:

1. Songs that have been mixed to Atmos already (but still play in stereo until Spotify enables Atmos decoding)
2. Songs that the playlist creator thinks would sound great IF they were mixed in Atmos, but haven't been, like the 2 Floyd tracks, or
3. Songs that sound good when upmixed from stereo to Atmos.

At least that's my take.

As I told you, you turn on Get Beta Updates, but do to some Apple glitch today that option isn't appearing. Just check later.
Was excited this morning to see that the latest 15.2 beta was being reported as fixing the 'left channel only' problem for Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio that has been around for the last two odd months on Apple Music on Apple TV 4K. With some trepidation, I decided to update this morning, only to also find the 'Get Beta Updates' option was missing, as others had reported. I was still on 15.0, so I decided to update to 15.1.1 hoping the Beta option would appear. No luck. As before the 'left channel' issue was still there and no Beta option. The scrollback 'fix?' still worked, so no worse off.

This afternoon the Beta option reappeared, so I took the plunge. It seemed to take a long time compared to this mornings updates, but eventually, the main screen reappeared. There was a moment of panic, when, after a bit of testing, the 'left channel issue' was still there and no amount of back or forward scrolling made any difference and the other speakers stayed dead. After googling 'How to remove the beta?' and 'How to throw your Apple TV out the window', I rebooted the box by removing the power cable for a few minutes (which was the solution on earlier Apple TV's, after Steve Jobs had insisted on no power button) and then restarting it. Since then, everything I've tested is playing correctly and it will play without complaint between Dolby Atmos, Dolby Audio and Lossless. I guess it's possible some sort of restart might upset it but for the moment all seems stable.

Now we can wait for the Hi-Res update that I understood was due late in the year and see if that can really stuff it up. For the moment I'm happy, although I will leave the unaffected 14.7 units alone, till the final version of 15.2 becomes available. I would suggest doing the same if you still have 14.7. Its not unknown for a later Beta to mess something up. If you have 15.0 or up and want to consider the beta, thats my experience so far.

Thanks for the news of the 'working' beta this morning. Made my day.

I’ve just tried unplugging the unit, did I expect it to work ? NO CHANCE ! Nothing has worked for me, scrolling back, nothing !
Could someone do a screen shot showing Beta Version, please….not that I ever expect to see it !

APPLE ARE A JOKE !!!

You can only do Apple Music (real) surround with an Apple TV 4k.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on being able to do it via your TV anytime soon.
That would be a shame. Unless it's a technical limitation, I don't see a reason for them to limit Atoms use for only the Apple TV 4k.
We are a small community anyway, so why make it smaller?

I’ve just tried unplugging the unit, did I expect it to work ? NO CHANCE ! Nothing has worked for me, scrolling back, nothing !
Could someone do a screen shot showing Beta Version, please….not that I ever expect to see it !

APPLE ARE A JOKE !!!

Looks like it is back today...

IMG_0010.JPG

APPLE ARE A JOKE !!!

Nothing like going through hell simply to listen to today's version of the radio. I'm sorry that many of you are suffering from Apple's inability to deal with their own technology.

Have done it on iPad not long winded took a couple of minutes you ignore all the developers waffle and just register your existing account. All beta updates on any system have a small element of risk and you indicated you wanted to use it, sorry for trying to help!

Have done it on iPad not long winded took a couple of minutes you ignore all the developers waffle and just register your existing account. All beta updates on any system have a small element of risk and you indicated you wanted to use it, sorry for trying to help!

Thanks…..no need to be over sensitive ! ( I can only read what’s in front of me & come to conclusions based on that. )

I will give it a go.

Back