Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From their FAQ:
  • How can I listen to Dolby Atmos music?
    All Apple Music subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV7 can listen to thousands of Dolby Atmos music tracks using any headphones. When you listen with compatible Apple or Beats headphones,8 Dolby Atmos music plays back automatically when available for a song. For other headphones, go to Settings > Music > Audio and set Dolby Atmos to Always On. You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, or HomePod,9 or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or audiovisual receiver.

So after 20 years of kicking the ball away as hard as possible. Disabling FLAC from iTunes to push ALAC instead and not even recognizing surround files in native ALAC. And never even having SD lossless in the iTunes store. Hmmm.

I suppose this might mean we're closer to finally seeing the Atmos decoder released though! Why does that feel like wishful thinking...

Does this put Apple TV 4K ahead of Firestick 4K or Roku as the Dolby Atmos favorite here? I have both the latter ones but never listened to Atmos on them as I currently have no capability. But I will in the new music room/HT (Acurus Muse or Monoprice HTP-1, and Prime elevation ceiling mounted Atmos speakers along with my full rnage 5.1 setup). Do I buy the Apple TV 4K?

Does this put Apple TV 4K ahead of Firestick 4K or Roku as the Dolby Atmos favorite here? I have both the latter ones but never listened to Atmos on them as I currently have no capability. But I will in the new music room/HT (Acurus Muse or Monoprice HTP-1, and Prime elevation ceiling mounted Atmos speakers along with my full rnage 5.1 setup). Do I buy the Apple TV 4K?

There's the rub: still another device to buy (for those of us who don't already have one). The monthly cost is half of Tidal's, though--for now, anyway--and one would hope that Apple's search capability and customer service are better, too. And I think there's reason to hope that unlike Tidal, they might stream a non-lossy version of Atmos.

Last edited:
It's not just content in Dolby Atmos, it's also ALL of the music on the service will be available in Lossless by the end of the year. That is way cooler to me. I will be turning that on for my AppleTV connected to the home theater system, as well as on my phone.

I have an AppleTV 4K. I’ll dig it out and check the new Apple Lossless out. It’s been unused for 2 years or so.

Atmos on Apple is lossless? That would be a game changer, although I have my doubts they could deliver 24bit Atmos in TrueHD.

From the AppleTV Wiki:

Audio

I was running Kodi in an app called MRMC on my AppleTV 4K (previous Gen). It played DTS-HDMA, Atmos etc via HDMI pass-through, MCH FLAC etc from my NAS. I didn’t continue to use it because:

1. Limited customisation of Kodi on AppleTV (restricted access)
2. Siri listens to everything. (No I’m non paranoid, it’s a fact. All of my close friends and family with Siri devices report targeted adverts and search results after discussing something with Siri nearby. Not just coincidence, strange things. Ducks with backpacks, Dog poo collectors, etc. Things never searched for in Google but only talked about.

2. Siri listens to everything. (No I’m non paranoid, it’s a fact. All of my close friends and family with Siri devices report targeted adverts and search results after discussing something with Siri nearby. Not just coincidence, strange things. Ducks with backpacks, Dog poo collectors, etc. Things never searched for in Google but only talked about.

This is the kind of crap that gets old guys like me fired up! What a crock of Dog Poo! :)

Is it not possible to turn Siri off? With Amazon's Fire Stick, Alexa listens by default, too, but with some difficulty you can get into the settings and disable her.

I have an AppleTV 4K. I’ll dig it out and check the new Apple Lossless out. It’s been unused for 2 years or so.

Atmos on Apple is lossless? That would be a game changer, although I have my doubts they could deliver 24bit Atmos in TrueHD.
I doubt the Atmos is going to be delivered lossless. But maybe we will be surprised?

This is the kind of crap that gets old guys like me fired up! What a crock of Dog Poo! :)
at first I thought you might be a (for example) flat earther...but then I saw the humor in it...at least I hope so...

yeah, I would have never doubted it for a second...Siri/Google/ your favorite "C" word company does listen to everything...I have done it many times just to prove the point...write something down with whoever you are and make it the most ridiculously obscure thing you can think of, talk about it and next time you get into the net some kind of ad or link to that will show up...

Just because you're not paranoid doen't mean they are not after you...it's just bu$ine$$ now...

I was called a cynic by an older person who is a friend and I just am a bigger person to not tell her that I prefer to be a cynic than be a gullible person...

Looks like 5.1 as well, right?

I doubt the Apple Music library will have 5.1 tracks. But Apple Atmos tracks will play as 5.1 if you have a 5.1 system. But like a Tidal, you’ll only get Atmos (and 5.1 from Atmos) if connected to a device (e.g. AVR) with an Atmos decoder.

I guess we’ll find out soon.

Last edited:
Great timing, we bought a HomePod (more for my wife) and are now about half ways through the free 3 months of Apple Music. I have Tidal hi res and love it, but I'm not going to have 2 services and my wife likes the convenience of Apple Music, plus we can set up a family plan. I even dropped a note to Tidal asking if and when they'd be making a third party app for Apple and got a reply dancing around the issue. This will make the decision to switch much easier. Thanks to the OP for posting.(y)

Back