Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for that, ( From a fastly going grey man. 😉 )

Strangely, as you see from my photo, my screen doesn’t resemble yours ?? Unless there’s a menu screen I’m not accessing ?? It’s the latest Apple box.

It’s a bit annoying, but at least I can see the info on my iPad.
No, it's last year's model. By the way, mine randomly stops the playing of Atmos albums from time to time and quits the application. Quite annoying indeed

Is it me or does Apple Music Atmos sound very compressed on most tracks? Has anyone compared streaming Atmos to Atmos discs? I am using Apple TV 4K and the movies I stream do not suffer from the compressed sound. I wonder if Tidal Atmos is better.

No, it's last year's model. By the way, mine randomly stops the playing of Atmos albums from time to time and quits the application. Quite annoying indeed

I wonder if I am missing something on the menu screen ?? Is the symbol, like a number 8 on it’s side the download symbol ??

Annoyingly, mine stops anytime, although, I did get to the end of the whole John Mayer album, but then the next choice stopped three times !

I’m hoping my due Ethernet cable solves this issue ! ?

Last week I was able to play tracks from Goat's Head Soup in Atmos from Apple Music on my Apple TV. I tried again yesterday and none of the tracks from that album I tried were able to play, I was just kicked back to the Apple TV home page. Anyone else experiencing this? Did they remove that album?
I think a temporary glitch with the service... No Atmos would play... All
Better now I think.

I wonder if I am missing something on the menu screen ?? Is the symbol, like a number 8 on it’s side the download symbol ??

Annoyingly, mine stops anytime, although, I did get to the end of the whole John Mayer album, but then the next choice stopped three times !

I’m hoping my due Ethernet cable solves this issue ! ?
Uhmm, I don't get any download option in Apple TV...
Regarding the sudden app stops, I don't think the ethernet cable will make any difference. I've got 300 Mbps dedicated WiFi with no major interference that ends in 1 Gpbs bandwidth in the router. And it fails anyway...

Is it me or does Apple Music Atmos sound very compressed on most tracks? Has anyone compared streaming Atmos to Atmos discs? I am using Apple TV 4K and the movies I stream do not suffer from the compressed sound. I wonder if Tidal Atmos is better.
I don‘t have this issue

Both Tidal and Apple Music stream lossy 768 Kbps Atmos music files.

I can't comment about the Atmos audio bitrate for Apple TV+ movies in general but can say that the full bandwidth TV show rips I've seen such as 'For All Mankind' have the same 768 Kbps Atmos audio bitrate.

Both Tidal and Apple Music stream lossy 768 Kbps Atmos music files.

I can't comment about the Atmos audio bitrate for Apple TV+ movies in general but can say that the full bandwidth TV show rips I've seen such as 'For All Mankind' have the same 768 Kbps Atmos audio bitrate.
All streaming Atmos is DD+ (lossy 768 Kbps). No streaming service supplies TrueHD Atmos (avg. 6000 Kbps, max of 18000 Kbps) as it simply takes up too much bandwidth.

Not getting a compression issue here or feeling like I am. Maybe it’s something in your settings?

Labeling a poor (lazy) mix as sounding compressed is a rookie mistake.

Last edited:

I am at it again today and it sounds much better, but occasionally the audio drops out for a second! My speed is more than adequate. Anyway, it is fun to check these new mixes in Atmos. Riders On The Storm and Whats Going On are the best mixes so far. I wish more Atmos music was available on physical media discs at reasonable prices. DD+ streaming just can beat full Atmos.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful comments.

I didn’t have an Apple TV and decided to purchase the first generation 32 GB 4K model instead of the newer version. Apple Music with Atmos playback works fine so you can save yourself a few dollars. The key is to have a 4K Apple TV box instead of the original HD model.
I’ve got the first generation 4K and it’s doing Atmos & lossless just fine. I would note that if you want something higher than 48KHz sample rate then you will need a Mac

All streaming Atmos is DD+ (lossy 768 Kbps). No streaming service supplies TrueHD Atmos (avg. 6000 Kbps, max of 18000 Kbps) as it simply takes up too much bandwidth.

One could argue that it simply doesn't though, at least for audio only which is why we've been lamenting this here since Atmos music made it's debut.

Netflix 4K video rarely goes above 15 Mbps but they spec min 25 Mbps internet service is required.

So Tidal or Apple could in theory do something similar for their Atmos music offerings. If they cared. Or anybody else did besides us I guess.

Per the referenced post the Dolby Atmos DD+ audio encoder allows at least a max of 3000 Kbps which is nothing in terms of bitrate but still a long way from 768 Kbps technically in terms of fidelity.

But of course I'm preaching to the converted.

Blonde is much better than bald, as I am :cool:
The info is not available for all tracks, I think only the ones that are lossless, Apple master or Atmos will display the little icon. I've attached a couple of pics where you can see the icon and what it displays after clicking on it.

Just to go back to this. Dolby Atmos albums state in the bottom right hand corner, but it doesn’t appear to show info for albums not in Dolby Atmos ??

Attachments

• AF4D0F6F-8CCB-4FFB-89D7-0F80A49AE856.jpeg
    AF4D0F6F-8CCB-4FFB-89D7-0F80A49AE856.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back