Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had dinner with a very well known engineer whose film and album credits are a mile long the other night and he told me at least one major, major label is remixing from the multi tracks for Apple Music. Multiple engineers are working on the project but it sounds like an assembly line. They’re getting one day per track.

That’s all I know. This is likely only for materiel that hasn’t already been mixed in Atmos, i.e. The Beatles, but that’s speculation on my part.

I had dinner with a very well known engineer whose film and album credits are a mile long the other night and he told me at least one major, major label is remixing from the multi tracks for Apple Music. Multiple engineers are working on the project but it sounds like an assembly line. They’re getting one day per track.

That’s all I know. This is likely only for materiel that hasn’t already been mixed in Atmos, i.e. The Beatles, but that’s speculation on my part.

multiple engineers working on 1 project? too many chefs in the kitchen?

Is it me, or are these Atmos mixing engineers getting better and better with each new release?

Can't say there are many duff ones in Spatial Audio, if you avoid some of the Jazz and Classical ones.

Even giving the dreaded hip hop a listen....:unsure:
Some of their mixes are top dollar and the music itself can be quite good,

BUT....

Overall, It just don't do it for me...:rolleyes:

Is it me, or are these Atmos mixing engineers getting better and better with each new release?

Can't say there are many duff ones in Spatial Audio, if you avoid some of the Jazz and Classical ones.

Even giving the dreaded hip hop a listen....:unsure:
Some of their mixes are top dollar and the music itself can be quite good,

BUT....

Overall, It just don't do it for me...:rolleyes:

Yes I'm not a hip hop fan in general but the Pop Smoke Atmos release really draws the listener in rather than pushing them away like many productions.

The Apple TV+ app is available non-Apple hardware such as the (Android TV based) Nvidia Shield TV just like Google's You Tube TV and Google Play Movies apps are available on Apple TV hardware.

The Apple Music app is also available on non-Apple hardware such as the (Android TV based) Nvidia Shield TV.

So, the playing field is (theoretically) even and nobody is being forced to buy another company's hardware to use their software.

It's hard to imagine Apple can reasonably expect millions of users with Android based hardware will also buy Apple hardware and/or that Apple wouldn't want the Android user base subscription business for Apple TV+ and Apple Music.

The current reality is the Apple TV+ app has had issues on non-Apple hardware and though the Apple Music app is available for Android, it doesn't (yet) support Apple Music Atmos content. But I think the Apple TV+ on Android issues will get ironed out and Apple has stated that Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos also coming to Apple Music on Android

Having said that, the pessimist in me can't help suspect that though Apple may deliver on the Apple Music Atmos for Android that will only include phones and not devices such as the (Android TV based) Nvidia Shield TV, kind of like the Amazon Music situation with the Sony 360 audio content only supported on the Echo speaker and phones. But as an Nvidia Shield TV owner I'm willing to wait and see at least for a little while. It will be interesting to see who Apple chooses to exclude (if anyone) from their ultimate target user base.

So it's here and as usual Apple provides zero details on supported third party devices but as predicted no immediate official support for the Nvidia Shield TV per the Google Play listing. Will see if the sideloaded APK works though I'm not optimistic about that for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the new Atmos version of Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know" on Apple Music is far superior to the 5.1 mix from the Hopes & Fears DualDisc DVD-A. It's fully discrete, with piano and strings isolated in the rear/height speakers. I wish they'd re-do the entire album.

So it's here and as usual Apple provides zero details on supported third party devices but as predicted no immediate official support for the Nvidia Shield TV per the Google Play listing. Will see if the sideloaded APK works though I'm not optimistic about that for a number of reasons.

So the sideloaded Apple Music app runs on the Shield TV but the login doesn't seem to succeed for whatever reason. I'd be just as happy if the windows Apple-Music-Electron got Atmos functionality which sounds like may happen

Back