Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone is reporting on SHF that the Blue Oyster Cult Tyranny & Mutation is the quad mix. I don’t have Apple music yet, but this will get me to join.
How strange...I just randomly listened to this (not through Apple but from my server) for maybe the 2nd time two days ago. Only got through 4 or 5 songs though...not really my cup of tea.

Someone is reporting on SHF that the Blue Oyster Cult Tyranny & Mutation is the quad mix. I don’t have Apple music yet, but this will get me to join.
I have Apple and this album says lossless but not Atmos. Same with the Argent.

And now thanks to the workaround it is in LPCM and not Dolby Digital

Attachments

• 20210917_080010.jpg
    20210917_080010.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 63
And now thanks to the workaround it is in LPCM and not Dolby Digital
Did I miss something...what workaround? It’s 5.1 PCM for me and I didn’t employ any sort of workaround (at least that I know of).

I am not using any sort of ATMOS system. I am going directly into my Oppo 103 to play back everything in 5.1. Previously, I would have to have the box set to Dolby Digital 5.1 to hear it in surround. Now, if I switch the audio format and switch back it plays in LPCM 5.1 and it doesn't have to stay in Dolby Digital.

It says Dolby Audio and plays back in multichannel.
Can someone do the packet analysis thing and see if it's lossy or not? Even though it most likely is.

On a side note, they have the Stankonia 5.1 DVDA mix, and it is disappointing a new mix wasnt created as the old one is pretty conservative.

On the tech specs for the Apple TV 4K box it says Dolby Digital/+. I don’t have a menu option on my AVR to see what the bitrate is, but it’s most likely lossy at 768 Kbps

View attachment 71497
The Apple TV 4K streams 7.1 24/48 PCM out via HDMI for Atmos content. But as I now understand it, the Apple 4K essentially “upconverts” a lossy stream (768 mbps?) to the 24/48 PCM for output.

I show 5.1 24/48 PCM for the non-Atmos surround stuff, but I suspect the original source stream for these is lossy as well. But I don’t know for certain.

I am listening now and it is full-on glorious QUAD.
It's a big breakthrough at what this hints at for the future. The first time that I know of a major streaming service has come up with vintage rock quad. One that never got a digital or disc release after LP/Q8 in fact. Maybe now it will be considered unacceptable to issue an old quad release downmixed to stereo (J5, Sabbath, Ross) when there is another option to do if full decreet quad.

This is finally some good news. Much better than the news of Sony Japan releasing a title previously out on surround SACD - but just with a new fancy package and price..

Last edited:
Back