Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far for me Bob, their search capabilities ( Win. 10 Apple Music; Apple iPhone Music App; or ATV4K) have been either shit or practically non-existent, a major pet peeve!

I'm finding Apple's search capabilities better than Tidal's, although admittedly that's a very low bar. My major gripe is that--and this is hardly an original idea--you should be able to search on phrases like "Dolby Atmos" and "Dolby Audio" and get a page full of results. Maybe if enough of us ask for that capability on the Product Feedback page it'll happen?
https://www.apple.com/feedback/Otherwise, I keep my eye on the "Now in Spatial Audio" list daily.
https://music.apple.com/us/room/1571233931

Last edited:
I'm finding Apple's search capabilities better than Tidal's, although admittedly that's a very low bar. My major gripe is that--and this is hardly an original idea--you should be able to search on phrases like "Dolby Atmos" and "Dolby Audio" and get a page full of results. Maybe if enough of us ask for that capability on the Product Feedback page it'll happen?
https://www.apple.com/feedback/
Otherwise, I keep my eye on the "Now in Spatial Audio" list daily.
Absolutely great idea, thanks for the link I'll do that also; squeaky grease them thar wheels!
*-
also mention to have the "Dolby Atmos" and Dolby Audio" labels on each individual song!

Last edited:
I actually think 5.1 music will die if Major Labels decide to go streaming. There will be no revenue because its streaming. 😑 Atmos is fine because it needs more adoption, but 5.1 should stay purchase only.

I actually think 5.1 music will die if Major Labels decide to go streaming. There will be no revenue because its streaming. 😑 Atmos is fine because it needs more adoption, but 5.1 should stay purchase only.
I'm of two minds here. I understand what your saying but it's all the various formats that has killed MCH in the past. We'll see I guess, the market will determine the outcome.

That‘s not true.
Major Labels earn much more money from streaming than artists. They have other conditions with the streaming services.

@fredblue posted this earlier. Can you, blue, or anyone help me on this? I've never owned anything from apple, but am considering buying the dumb TV4k thingie to get on the spatial train. I noticed sales on previous generation TV4ks - so does that mean they're about to release some new thing that will make the old thing obsolete? Seems like something apple does.
Or does this article mean that they're making atmos work on the lower level apple TVs just to get it out there more? Just seems weird they included it and HD with the basic apple music for free.
Anyone know anything about this, or does anyone want to start a QQ music service?
:SG
https://www.whathifi.com/news/spati...apple-tv-on-20th-september-as-part-of-tvos-15

i'm not sure tbh i only just upgraded to the latest one this Summer since the model i had already didn't do Atmos and i really wanted to see what all the fuss was about! it was worth it, so far it's been brilliant!

i'm not sure tbh i only just upgraded to the latest one this Summer since the model i had already didn't do Atmos and i really wanted to see what all the fuss was about! it was worth it, so far it's been brilliant!
You need an Apple TV4K.
No matter which generation. The older 4K model does the same.

Any good computer recorder like GoldWave can easily do the additional 2 channels... to be synch'd up with the 5.1 channels.

btw, I got the TASCAM DR-680. Been doing a ton of recording on it, so nice to be free of a Windows environment when doing my needle drops to 24/96khz.
Thats the one I got, for the same reason, as I had found Windows upgrades or updates often stopped stuff from working! But I haven't really used it, apart from a test, as things keeps getting in the way and I don't have the time .... I need to retire!

Thats the one I got, for the same reason, as I had found Windows upgrades or updates often stopped stuff from working! But I haven't really used it, apart from a test, as things keeps getting in the way and I don't have the time .... I need to retire!
I would go to settings and upgrade to tvOS 15. It works great. You may be able to do all you want with AtMos then.

I did it weeks ago. If you want to get started do it now. If you don’t… wait. I’m just sayin’

Did you get balanced to RCA connectors for the inputs? I just bought a set of 25' cables and already have Lav mics. I'm going to find a video shoot to do sound for. I want to do a little bit of semi-pro work with a sound kit. Since I am trained in recording, I want to use a little of the skills I have But yes, time is tough to work around with life these days.

Just discovered a podcast that (sort of) addresses the issue @Mr. Afternoon raised above:
https://www.thenexttrack.com/218--and the larger issue of "renting" music vs. buying:
https://www.thenexttrack.com/221

got about 2/3's the way through the 1st one on Atmos/Spatial Audio and had to stop. just too much of the same old negativity i've been hearing for 20 years (prohibitive cost and setup of having a room full of speakers) and general scepticism/pessimism of multichannel music (as soon as i hear someone describe 5.1 music as a "gimmick", i start tuning out)

Just discovered a podcast that (sort of) addresses the issue @Mr. Afternoon raised above:
https://www.thenexttrack.com/218--and the larger issue of "renting" music vs. buying:
https://www.thenexttrack.com/221

Humprof, please tell me you posted that as a joke.

I made it to 10 minutes on the first one and decided I had better things to listen to than people pontificating to me why I'm wrong for liking something I enjoy.

What blew me away (and where I stopped listening) was how the one gentleman wasn't even necessarily sold on multichannel for movies at home, and then stated that mono is best for home listening. MONO???

There will be good and bad mixes, but never before have so many people had access to experience multichannel music content (between Apple Music and Tidal subscribers), and this alone should improve the quality of production.

I will say that over the past 4 months, I've never had more people I know ask advice on building out Atmos systems.

And none of them asked for advice on av setups for mono playback, lol.

Did you get balanced to RCA connectors for the inputs? I just bought a set of 25' cables and already have Lav mics. I'm going to find a video shoot to do sound for. I want to do a little bit of semi-pro work with a sound kit. Since I am trained in recording, I want to use a little of the skills I have But yes, time is tough to work around with life these days.
I didn't as the connection I'm using is from my amp to the DR-680, so not balanced. Good idea for mics though, keeps the noise/hum pick-up down on long runs.

Humprof, please tell me you posted that as a joke.

I made it to 10 minutes on the first one and decided I had better things to listen to than people pontificating to me why I'm wrong for liking something I enjoy.

What blew me away (and where I stopped listening) was how the one gentleman wasn't even necessarily sold on multichannel for movies at home, and then stated that mono is best for home listening. MONO???

There will be good and bad mixes, but never before have so many people had access to experience multichannel music content (between Apple Music and Tidal subscribers), and this alone should improve the quality of production.

I will say that over the past 4 months, I've never had more people I know ask advice on building out Atmos systems.

And none of them asked for advice on av setups for mono playback, lol.

Not as a joke, exactly, but (obviously, I hope) not as an endorsement, either. (Maybe I should have attached a trigger warning.)

Back