Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't as the connection I'm using is from my amp to the DR-680, so not balanced. Good idea for mics though, keeps the noise/hum pick-up down on long runs.
The inputs directly to the 680 are balanced and would require an adaptor coming from your amp (RCA output) no?

The inputs directly to the 680 are balanced and would require an adaptor coming from your amp (RCA output) no?
:eek: I'll have to check which cables I actually bought! I bought a 'suitable' set from the on-line shop that was selling the DR-680 II, they're all in the box with the unit.

I bought them at about the same time as my mother was quite ill and getting worse, so rather pre-occupied, so basically took it out the box, did some test or other (I can't even remember if it worked!), then back in the box, which is where sadly its remained. I now have the space to put it and my TT, phono amp & SM2 next to each other, so I really need to get into recording my Quad LPs with it :rolleyes:

I did a system update and I'm now having the one speaker only issue with the quad mixes. Anyone know a fix?
Found this earlyier in this thread:
I also have the beta and had the left channel issue. Here was my fix:

Go to Settings>Video and Audio> Audio Format>Change Format

Set to on, Select 5.1. Then switch it back to off and everything is working great.

Last edited:
Found this earlyier in this thread:
I also have the beta and had the left channel issue. Here was my fix:

Go to Settings>Video and Audio> Audio Format>Change Format

Set to on, Select 5.1. Then switch it back to off and everything is working great.

That works but anytime I change a song I need to do it again. Any permanent fix?

I'm checking out some functionality of the Apple TV 4K box user interface (UI) I got in, and maybe get some good pointers from other members as well.
This is some really simple navigation to start with for new viewers.

I usually start with the Apple Music screen and select "Browse" at the top menu (This will give you all sorts of sub menus, including Spatial Audio aka Dolby Atmos/Dolby Audio etc):

APPLE MUSIC BROWSE SCREEN.jpg

scroll down the screen to get to the "Now in Spatial Audio" menu (which you can scroll across for specific selected albums or Sub-Categories):

NOW IN SPATIAL AUDIO.jpg

From there I found the Beatles new Let It Be album (which not all songs are in Atmos as of yet AFAIK) and selected that to take me to this main album screen:
*you'll see what the album is streaming as i.e. Dolby Atmos, Lossless, Apple Digital Master etc. You'll also see that the song "Across the Universe" has a time on it. so it's now up in actual Atmos.

LET IT BE.jpg

so when you select "Across The Universe" you're taken to the song and it starts playing with colors changing in the background and sometimes the album image has some nice changing scenery in it; you also get the lyrics scrolling down the right side. But this is where some improvement should be made IMO, as it should also have displayed what format it's in, etc.; as you can reach this same spot (song) from a search or perhaps other selection and you don't know what you've got then!

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.jpg

However from this point with the song playing, you can hit the "Back <" button on your remote (I've got the tiny silver one) and it takes you to this next screen with a row of songs from the Let It Be album. Now what's interesting to note for this is; you can left or right click on the wheel at the top of the remote to get to the song before or after (which is still playing while you're doing all of this, and that's OK) but it will start playing that next song you moved to. To get around this, you simply lightly swipe your thumb over the selector circle on the remote and it moves you into the next song selection without actually switching to that next song. This is handy also, because it then will tell you at the lower right of the screen what the format of the song is, in the list of songs. Because a number of albums don't have all the songs in Atmos, some are just plain old stereo lossless.

SONG LIST.jpg

Now the next pet peeve I have is how it ends with your selection into the Beatles Let It Be album (because I came from the Atmos region remember); at the end of the Beatles album, it then gives me this Bob Dylan song. "The Times They Are A-Changin'" which I don't believe is in Atmos. This sort of thing happens all the time, even when playing from my Library.

*edit- thanks to @mrcond for the tip to adjust this setting ♾️
"In the upper right corner of the "Now Playing" screen, there is an infinity symbol that can be toggled on or off."

TIMES ARE A CHANGING.jpg

Now let's try a search for Moby (he's got a new Atmos album out BTW) (just hit your back button several times to get back where you started from - the main Music screen) Then went to search at the "top right" 🔍 and got into the Moby main section.

MOBY SEARCH.jpg

Then you can scroll down to the Albums section, and his new 2021 album "Reprise" shows up first in line. However this is also where I believe it should further differentiate by showing that it's in Dolby Atmos somehow (you'd have no clue if you didn't already know!)

MOBY ALBUMS.jpg

Then when you click on the Reprise 2021 album it takes you to that main album screen (some nice wild color changes happen occasionally) also showing Dolby Atmos.

*Also on this screen you'll see the big Plus sign I have highlighted here; hitting that will add the whole album into your library, or you can go to each song individually and do so. Another issue is; when not all songs are Atmos, there's nothing on this screen to tell you which ones are Atmos and which ones aren't, a major cock-up IMO.

MOBY REPRISE.jpg

Just to the right of the Plus sign (sorry didn't get it in this screen shot) there're 3 dots which by hitting that will take you to this menu screen for some additional actions.
Personally I think this is where a button should be that shows the technical audio details of these tracks.

3 DOT MENU.jpg

That's it for today, any other tips (hopefully more complex than mine above) are encouraged!

Last edited:
Now the next pet peeve I have is how it ends with your selection into the Beatles Let It Be album (because I came from the Atmos region remember); at the end of the Beatles album, it then gives me this Bob Dylan song (WTF, why not another Beatles album or song?) "The Times They Are A-Changin'" which I don't believe is in Atmos. This sort of thing happens all the time, even when playing from my Library.
This is a setting you can turn off (so that when your selected album or playlist is finished, it won't play another track until you specifically tell it to). In the upper right corner of the "Now Playing" screen, there is an infinity symbol that can be toggled on or off.

I do wonder...............

rent - to grant a person the right to use ones property in return for periodic payments
rent - to slit or opening made by tearing or rending: tear

streaming - to grant a person the right to use someone else's ones property in return for substantial periodic payments to an unrelated third party

................Cynical moi? :ROFLMAO:

The questions I ask myself are;
will I?
(morally) should I?
Answers: :unsure: I don't know!

Jury still out on this one...only because for me the music is energetic, aggressive, and electric but the singing leaves much to be desired. Not a fan of the industrial vocals where it sounds like the lead singer is about to lose his voice. As far as immersive quality, definitely a good but not top-notch Atmos mix.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/lamb-of-god/1496872374

I do wonder...............

rent - to grant a person the right to use ones property in return for periodic payments
rent - to slit or opening made by tearing or rending: tear

streaming - to grant a person the right to use someone else's ones property in return for substantial periodic payments to an unrelated third party
I have no real understanding of your post here. ???

I'm checking out some functionality of the Apple TV 4K box user interface (UI) I got in, and maybe get some good pointers from other members as well.
This is some really simple navigation to start with for new viewers.

I usually start with the Apple Music screen and select "Browse" at the top menu (This will give you all sorts of sub menus, including Spatial Audio aka Dolby Atmos/Dolby Audio etc):

View attachment 71620

scroll down the screen to get to the "Now in Spatial Audio" menu (which you can scroll across for specific selected albums or Sub-Categories):

View attachment 71621

From there I found the Beatles new Let It Be album (which not all songs are in Atmos as of yet AFAIK) and selected that to take me to this main album screen:
*you'll see what the album is streaming as i.e. Dolby Atmos, Lossless, Apple Digital Master etc. You'll also see that the song "Across the Universe" has a time on it. so it's now up in actual Atmos.

View attachment 71622

so when you select "Across The Universe" you're taken to the song and it starts playing with colors changing in the background and sometimes the album image has some nice changing scenery in it; you also get the lyrics scrolling down the right side. But this is where some improvement should be made IMO, as it should also have displayed what format it's in, etc.; as you can reach this same spot (song) from a search or perhaps other selection and you don't know what you've got then!

View attachment 71623

However from this point with the song playing, you can hit the "Back <" button on your remote (I've got the tiny silver one) and it takes you to this next screen with a row of songs from the Let It Be album. Now what's interesting to note for this is; you can left or right click on the wheel at the top of the remote to get to the song before or after (which is still playing while you're doing all of this, and that's OK) but it will start playing that next song you moved to. To get around this, you simply lightly swipe your thumb over the selector circle on the remote and it moves you into the next song selection without actually switching to that next song. This is handy also, because it then will tell you at the lower right of the screen what the format of the song is, in the list of songs. Because a number of albums don't have all the songs in Atmos, some are just plain old stereo lossless.

View attachment 71624

Now the next pet peeve I have is how it ends with your selection into the Beatles Let It Be album (because I came from the Atmos region remember); at the end of the Beatles album, it then gives me this Bob Dylan song. "The Times They Are A-Changin'" which I don't believe is in Atmos. This sort of thing happens all the time, even when playing from my Library.

*edit- thanks to @mrcond for the tip to adjust this setting ♾️
"In the upper right corner of the "Now Playing" screen, there is an infinity symbol that can be toggled on or off."

View attachment 71625

Now let's try a search for Moby (he's got a new Atmos album out BTW) (just hit your back button several times to get back where you started from - the main Music screen) Then went to search at the "top right" 🔍 and got into the Moby main section.

View attachment 71626

Then you can scroll down to the Albums section, and his new 2021 album "Reprise" shows up first in line. However this is also where I believe it should further differentiate by showing that it's in Dolby Atmos somehow (you'd have no clue if you didn't already know!)

View attachment 71627

Then when you click on the Reprise 2021 album it takes you to that main album screen (some nice wild color changes happen occasionally) also showing Dolby Atmos.

*Also on this screen you'll see the big Plus sign I have highlighted here; hitting that will add the whole album into your library, or you can go to each song individually and do so. Another issue is; when not all songs are Atmos, there's nothing on this screen to tell you which ones are Atmos and which ones aren't, a major cock-up IMO.

View attachment 71628

Just to the right of the Plus sign (sorry didn't get it in this screen shot) there're 3 dots which by hitting that will take you to this menu screen for some additional actions.
Personally I think this is where a button should be that shows the technical audio details of these tracks.

View attachment 71629

That's it for today, any other tips (hopefully more complex than mine above) are encouraged!
Thank you Pupster for these helpful tips as we try to navigate the Apple Atmos landscape. I did have a question that seems silly but has me frustrated. When I pull up an album which is known to be in Atmos, for example, Sgt. Pepper's..., it displays as your 2nd to last pic with Moby above with the list of titles and a big Play button on the same line as the "+" sign. However, when I select the first song, it plays, but does NOT continue with the next song on the album but seems to randomly select another song on the album. And the "Play" button, you would think would just play the album but that doesn't seem to do it either. How do I get it to play the entire album start to finish? It's almost like the shuffle is engaged but it doesn't appear highlighted.

Jury still out on this one...only because for me the music is energetic, aggressive, and electric but the singing leaves much to be desired. Not a fan of the industrial vocals where it sounds like the lead singer is about to lose his voice. As far as immersive quality, definitely a good but not top-notch Atmos mix.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/lamb-of-god/1496872374
This one is only stereo here in Germany

Back