Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the same mono speaker issue, but on the speaker configuration menu on my Oppo I switched my 7.1 rear back speakers off and then back on again and that seemed to fix the problem. Not sure why or how though.
I did try changing to 5.1 and then back to 7.1. It fixed it till I powered the system down and then up again. Also removing power from the Oppo worked temporarily. Do you mean you turned off the individual speakers or the surround setting? Problem is, I am getting the same problem connected directly to three different AVR’s. I prefer the Oppo as it’s easier to tell how many channels are being output.

Here is a favorite of many now in glorious Atmos:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/come-away-with-me/1471082258
I would say like @humprof’s post above - for the Miles Davis, this is similar to the previous 5.1 but a bit more open and airy. Norah’s more in the center of room with you instead of front of room.

This one, as well as the Alanis Morrisette albums have been out for months. Or maybe they were in Tidal, I don't recall.

Re: Jagged Little Pill. I’ve had this for a while. I saw it on someone’s wish list yesterday, so I’m posting it in case it’s helpful to someone. It’s a pretty good mix IMHO. I think the Atmos is only on the main album tracks.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/jagged-little-pill-25th-anniversary-deluxe-edition/1517616916

good link!! It’s Atmos for the original album tracks but no one would know since it doesn’t have the badge until you play the tracks.

I did try changing to 5.1 and then back to 7.1. It fixed it till I powered the system down and then up again. Also removing power from the Oppo worked temporarily. Do you mean you turned off the individual speakers or the surround setting? Problem is, I am getting the same problem connected directly to three different AVR’s. I prefer the Oppo as it’s easier to tell how many channels are being output.

Probably just forced a new handshake, a temporary fix.

I upgraded my brand new main Apple TV 4K (with the new remote) to TvOS 15 on Tuesday and I am also getting the Mono in the front left channel issue. It only affects Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio tracks. I bought this extra unit purely for the audio so it's a bit irritating.

If I make the suggested fix by going to Audio Format and changing to Dolby Digital 5.1 and then changing back to Auto, I get the following erratic results:

1. The audio (Dolby Atmos) then initially plays in 5.1 (and lower quality). When the next track plays or you make a new selection it reverts to the left channel only mono again.
  2. If in an existing playlist the next track plays in 5.1 but sometimes in 7.1. Sometimes if you go back to the beginning it then plays in 7.1 and continues to do so for the duration of the playlist. If you make a new selection you have to start again.
  3. If the playlist is mixed between Lossless Stereo, Stereo, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Audio. The Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio tracks revert to the left channel mono every time, with the exception that some tracks have left channel and centre channel.
Dolby Atmos on Video sourced material plays normally and consistently at 7.1 LPCM, as it has for some time.

I have managed to turn off auto-update on my two other previous 4K models and left them on 14.7 for the moment and they are both working properly, as all have done since May.

I regret that I upgraded so early. I strongly suggest not upgrading to TvOS 15 for now till and if this is resolved, particularly if you are using a legacy surround system. I normally connect through an Oppo 103, but have tested the upgraded unit directly on two separate Denon AVR’s and one Yamaha AVR with the same result. I don’t have a full Atmos system where I am (and we are currently under covid travel restrictions), so can’t test that one (that is in another country). I’m also not going to upgrade that system remotely (by getting my daughter to do it) in case it also stops working properly.

For those that had the same problem and were running on the TvOS 15.0 beta, I understand there is a 15.1 upgrade today. I can’t see one as I'm not on the beta program. I am wondering if this could hopefully solve the problem.

Otherwise, does anyone have any other suggestions on a fix ?? ie: other settings, reset etc

Oof. Sorry for all your hassle, but grateful for the cautionary tale. In the nick of time, I went into my settings and turned off auto-update. Literally half an hour later, there was a notice on my screen telling me that OS15 was ready and asking if I'd like to install it. I'll wait till someone can confirm that these issues have been resolved!

Oof. Sorry for all your hassle, but grateful for the cautionary tale. In the nick of time, I went into my settings and turned off auto-update. Literally half an hour later, there was a notice on my screen telling me that OS15 was ready and asking if I'd like to install it. I'll wait till someone can confirm that these issues have been resolved!
Ha! The next problem is there is a message to update every half hour, so its going to require patience. In previous years it also had a deliberate "Don't Update' button. Now they want to force you to install their not up to scratch software. Its going to take an effort not to accidentally push the wrong button.

The 15.1 beta doesn't fix anything. Still front left mono.

I upgraded my brand new main Apple TV 4K (with the new remote) to TvOS 15 on Tuesday and I am also getting the Mono in the front left channel issue. It only affects Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio tracks. I bought this extra unit purely for the audio so it's a bit irritating.

If I make the suggested fix by going to Audio Format and changing to Dolby Digital 5.1 and then changing back to Auto, I get the following erratic results:

1. The audio (Dolby Atmos) then initially plays in 5.1 (and lower quality). When the next track plays or you make a new selection it reverts to the left channel only mono again.
  2. If in an existing playlist the next track plays in 5.1 but sometimes in 7.1. Sometimes if you go back to the beginning it then plays in 7.1 and continues to do so for the duration of the playlist. If you make a new selection you have to start again.
  3. If the playlist is mixed between Lossless Stereo, Stereo, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Audio. The Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio tracks revert to the left channel mono every time, with the exception that some tracks have left channel and centre channel.
Dolby Atmos on Video sourced material plays normally and consistently at 7.1 LPCM, as it has for some time.

I have managed to turn off auto-update on my two other previous 4K models and left them on 14.7 for the moment and they are both working properly, as all have done since May.

I regret that I upgraded so early. I strongly suggest not upgrading to TvOS 15 for now till and if this is resolved, particularly if you are using a legacy surround system. I normally connect through an Oppo 103, but have tested the upgraded unit directly on two separate Denon AVR’s and one Yamaha AVR with the same result. I don’t have a full Atmos system where I am (and we are currently under covid travel restrictions), so can’t test that one (that is in another country). I’m also not going to upgrade that system remotely (by getting my daughter to do it) in case it also stops working properly.

For those that had the same problem and were running on the TvOS 15.0 beta, I understand there is a 15.1 upgrade today. I can’t see one as I'm not on the beta program. I am wondering if this could hopefully solve the problem.

Otherwise, does anyone have any other suggestions on a fix ?? ie: other settings, reset etc

So now the Dolby Audio tag is gone from Coldplay Ghost Stories everywhere, even on my iPhone. Plays in stereo. :rolleyes:

Future Bites was replaced with a "Deluxe Edition". The tag is gone from the album because the bonus tracks are not in Atmos. But the original album tracks are still in Atmos.

Steven had confirmed some time ago that "Anyone But Me" was mixed in 5.1 & Atmos before decided to replace it with "Count Of Unease" - this would have been the perfect opportunity to finally release the Atmos mix.

So now the Dolby Audio tag is gone from Coldplay Ghost Stories everywhere, even on my iPhone. Plays in stereo. :rolleyes:

I still see "O (Hidden Track)" is in Dolby Audio but the rest are just lossless. Hadn't looked before so don't know if that is a change.

The 15.1 beta doesn't fix anything. Still front left mono.
I was waiting to see if 15.1 fixed the issue. Given your feedback I called Apple support and had a lengthy conversation explaining the problem. The ‘Genius’ wanted me to upgrade the other older model boxes I had to see if the problem was limited to the new model. I said I wasn’t prepared to do that as I might lose functionality. He agreed that was reasonable. My model is A2169 32GB from May this year. Does anyone have the same mono front left channel problem with the earlier model with the black remote? Can’t imagine it makes a difference, but who knows?

Regardless I now have a case number with a case manager. Suggest anyone else with the problem reports it as well.

Back