Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something perhaps even more disturbing than a Shatner Atmos; I was looking over some Atmos titles on my computer yesterday and came across a Beyoncé album. Opened it to the title page and they wanted something like $16.99 to play it. WTH is that about? Can someone confirm this?

Something perhaps even more disturbing than a Shatner Atmos; I was looking over some Atmos titles on my computer yesterday and came across a Beyoncé album. Opened it to the title page and they wanted something like $16.99 to play it. WTH is that about? Can someone confirm this?
You're sure you weren't looking at it in iTunes (where you can buy music to download)? I didn't think they were selling Atmos albums, though. And I didn't know there was any Beyoncé in Atmos, period. Which album was it?

So I updated to 15.1 before reading this thread. Where I was getting sound in all 6 channels (no atmos) I now get the left mono unless I switch to Dolby Digital 5.1 which plays consistently in surround.

On my system neither Kind Of Blue nor Sketches Of Spain show up as Atmos. Both play as such however and once you start playing either album the Atmos logo shows up on the screen.

Beyonce has 2 surround albums, so its not too much of a surprise.

You're sure you weren't looking at it in iTunes (where you can buy music to download)? I didn't think they were selling Atmos albums, though. And I didn't know there was any Beyoncé in Atmos, period. Which album was it?
IDK man, that's why I need confirmation LOL, I just checked through the "Spatial Audio on Apple Music" page and don't see it anywhere, but I'm sure that's where I drew it from, maybe the R&B section 🤷‍♂️ This is soooo hosed up! And honestly I'm not an Apple hater here, I really want this to go smoothly and open up more Atmos, Quads/Dolby Audio stuff etc. I figure the largest corporation in the world (they didn't get there by selling crap and not supporting their stuff) has the best shot at making all this work.
*edit, it was the self titled Beyonce album.

Thankfully, I read this thread, powered up my older model 4K, and turned off Auto Update. I'm running 14.7 and not having the mono/left speaker problem. I did get the annoying "Do you want to update" message. I'm not an Apple enthusiast, and this does not inspire confidence. Hopefully, they'll get it corrected soon.

Just noticed "Yacht - Chain Tripping" under Featured Albums; on there also -has that been there hiding all along?

YACHT.JPG

uh ohhhh - guess I'm not crazy or senile after all- hiding under the POP menu
*edit, looks like it's just a placed add to redirect to iTunes! - but never have seen that before!
View attachment 71754

Weird. I've never seen an iTunes redirect either. I'm seeing like eight different variants of the album and/or EP in Apple Music, but none of them marked Atmos or even Dolby Audio. It would make sense for the latter to show up eventually, though, since this was one of two Beyoncé albums with a 5.1 mix (this one by Elliot Scheiner, but tamed by decree of Queen Bey).

Weird. I've never seen an iTunes redirect either. I'm seeing like eight different variants of the album and/or EP under in Apple Music, but none of them marked Atmos or even Dolby Audio. It would make sense for the latter to show up eventually, though, since this was one of two Beyoncé albums with a 5.1 mix (this one by Elliot Scheiner, but tamed by decree of Queen Bey).
Well it is defiantly in the Spatial Audio (POP sub-menu); I'm just not on my Apple TV 4K right now to actually confirm if the music is in Atmos.

Spatial Audio (POP sub-menu)

So...are you referring to the "Now in Spatial Audio" album list (which is updated on a daily, sometimes hourly basis and, for me, is always located several screens down into the "Browse" menu on both the Windows and ATV4K versions of Apple Music)? Or are you finding tracks from this album in the "Pop in Spatial Audio" playlist? I'm still not seeing Bey in either place.

Hamilton just showed up, though:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/hamilton-an-american-musical-original-broadway-cast/1025210938

Last edited:
So...are you referring to the "Now in Spatial Audio" list (which is updated on a daily, sometimes hourly basis and, for me, is always several screens down into the "Browse" menu on the Windows and ATV4K versions of Apple Music)? Or are you finding tracks from this album in the "Pop in Spatial Audio" playlist? I'm still not seeing Bey in either place.

Hamilton just showed up, though:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/hamilton-an-american-musical-original-broadway-cast/1025210938
Here's a screenshot -> Spatial Audio -> down to POP menu; then click on "See All"
I also noticed that Bruno Mars in there :unsure:

pop see all.jpg

pop see B.jpg

I would swear the Norah Jones has been there for awhile. I listened to it - or some surround version of it - at least a couple of weeks ago.
But when I just went to play it, it doesn’t indicate Atmos or Spatial Audio. Just Lossless. But the whole album (except 3 bonus tracks) is Atmos.

What was confusing me is you calling it a "menu". It is a section, or button, not a menu.

Anyway, you are correct, it is listed there, but none of the tracks are in Atmos or Dolby Audio. Hopefully that will change soon?

Here's a screenshot -> Spatial Audio -> down to POP menu; then click on "See All"
I also noticed that Bruno Mars in there :unsure:

View attachment 71759
View attachment 71761

What was confusing me is you calling it a "menu". It is a section, or button, not a menu.

Anyway, you are correct, it is listed there, but none of the tracks are in Atmos or Dolby Audio. Hopefully that will change soon?
OK thanks, I'll try and remember to change my terminology to section. Also, someone told me before that, that Bruno Mars isn't in Atmos either, is that right?

Back