Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic, but I finally figured out how to get Apple Music surround sound to play into my Audi‘s Bang and Olufsens audio system. The key was NOT to use the wonderful wireless Airplay interface, but to run a USB cable out of the phone into the cars USB port that feeds the multi media system. just drove home from work listening to Becks Sea Change. Ear candy!

So your car only creates fake surround through the USB port and not through wireless Airplay. Interesting.

So your car only creates fake surround through the USB port and not through wireless Airplay. Interesting.
no, it can make “fake“ surround from all stereo content, including Apple Music by Airplay.

It plays the actual surround mix when hard wired through the usb . I turn off the “ fake” surround processing when doing that. I also have some surround titles on flac that play nicely in the car too.

FWIW, what you call the fake surround effect sounds really opens up many mixes. These newer algorithms are quite a bit better these days. Ive really been enjoying the Auro3D that came with my Marantz AVR.

no, it can make “fake“ surround from all stereo content, including Apple Music by Airplay.

It plays the actual surround mix when hard wired through the usb . I turn off the “ fake” surround processing when doing that. I also have some surround titles on flac that play nicely in the car too.

FWIW, what you call the fake surround effect sounds really opens up many mixes. These newer algorithms are quite a bit better these days. Ive really been enjoying the Auro3D that came with my Marantz AVR.

But you do realize that Sea Change is not in surround on Apple Music, right? Unless we are going through some roll out thing where it is only showing up for some people?

Just saw an Apple Music x Dolby Atmos x Justin Bieber commercial in a high-profile spot during the Dodgers - Giants baseball playoff game. They’re really committed to it. Good to see.

now that's encouraging!!
certainly more bigtime positive exposure than SACD or DVD-Audio ever had!
most of the reporting on Surround music stuff back then was that the new formats were either pointless or doomed to failure! 😂

But you do realize that Sea Change is not in surround on Apple Music, right? Unless we are going through some roll out thing where it is only showing up for some people?
You know, I may have confused how I played it. I have Sea Change in a flac surround file on a usb drive in the car. Perhaps that’s the version I enjoyed vs Apple Music? In any case, I have been enjoying the new Beatles Let It Be both in the car and at home.

Dawn- Yebba. A good listen in stereo. Trancendental and sublime via Atmos.

Attachments

• 615440C5-89C5-4830-9EA5-D8EA093CC7E6.jpeg
    615440C5-89C5-4830-9EA5-D8EA093CC7E6.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 53
Stupid question: I am a current Apple Music subscriber, and have bought Apple 4K TV (and this week will put up the four SVS Prime Elevations as my Atmos heights, now that I have established the main speakers position/main listening position) and am waiting for my pre/pro. Can I start to search and make some sort of Atmos playlists, say, on my iPhone or web interface...to be more ready for the hookup of the actual ATV4K?

Yes. You can make playlists and add albums to your library using your iPhone or iPad or even the box itself. when you get the box set up all you have to do is sign in and they will be ready for you. It’s almost easier to make playlists on the phone or iPad because the search function is somewhat cumbersome on the box. You won’t necessarily see the atmos titles on the web interface even though the titles are there. They show up as regular stereo titles. You can see them on iPhone or iPad for sure if you are above iOS 14.7 I believe.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Apple Music app on the Apple TV 4K, with it suddenly not streaming surround audio correctly?

Randomly, the Apple Music app started acting up yesterday, after working fine or a couple of weeks, on our new Apple TV 4K. Now all of the Atmos titles I select through Apple Music are streaming to mostly one, and sometimes two channels, of my reciever, even though the receiver shows it is receving a 7.1 signal. Mulit channel audio seems to be working just fine on other apps on the Apple TV. I tested a 5.1 movie on the Netflix app and it's streaming the audio to the correct channels. I went through all of the audio options for the Apple TV and the Music app, checking to see if something got changed by accident, but nothing is fixing it. It's really odd because it was working just fine before yesterday.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Apple Music app on the Apple TV 4K, with it suddenly not streaming surround audio correctly?

Randomly, the Apple Music app started acting up yesterday, after working fine or a couple of weeks, on our new Apple TV 4K. Now all of the Atmos titles I select through Apple Music are streaming to mostly one, and sometimes two channels, of my reciever, even though the receiver shows it is receving a 7.1 signal. Mulit channel audio seems to be working just fine on other apps on the Apple TV. I tested a 5.1 movie on the Netflix app and it's streaming the audio to the correct channels. I went through all of the audio options for the Apple TV and the Music app, checking to see if something got changed by accident, but nothing is fixing it. It's really odd because it was working just fine before yesterday.
There is bug that acts like you describe in one of the latest software updates. Do you have auto update on? I think it's talked about this earlier in this thread.

If you do a search or go back a couple weeks in this thread, there is plenty of discussion on this - and partial manual fixes for it.

There is bug that acts like you describe in one of the latest software updates. Do you have auto update on? I think it's talked about this earlier in this thread.

If you do a search or go back a couple weeks in this thread, there is plenty of discussion on this - and partial manual fixes for it.

Thank you both for the heads-up! I was browsing the thread but haven't been through all of it, so I must have missed the mention of the bug. I'll check this thread more thoroughly and see if I can find some info on it. I do have auto update on, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Not Atmos related, but it seems now Apple Music has included all Pink Floyd and David Gilmour albums in high resolution (most in 24/192).
I'll only be able to check after work, but SHF people are loving these transfers.

Division Bell
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (2019 mix)
The Endless River
On an Island

Are also in Dolby Audio (5.1 mixes).

Back