Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the BDPA sounded real noisy, loud and crushed to me, but it will be interesting to hear what was done to the mix.

Anyone know what that 2020 Blu-ray De-clipped Download entry is here?:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr-max/desc?artist=Amy+Winehouse&album=Back+To+Black
No surprise the BDPA was squashed. Many of them were among the worst versions available.

It’s not a great recording to begin with IMO, but the original UK/EU 1LP vinyl and the more recent deluxe EU 2LP vinyl are better than the digital versions (and the US vinyl pressings have not been as good AFAIK).

As for the de-clipped entry, I thought the DR Database was supposed to be (or will be) doing away with that nonsense. It‘s just some guy with nothing better to do than loading the BDPA files into audacity or some such and using the declip plug-in to artificially restore clips.

The problem is they are completely dependent upon the settings the person chooses to utilize. We have no idea if it sounds good or not; they’re just amateur custom jobs unavailable to anyone. Throwing them into the DR database is completely misusing the DR database - and DRs.

If these are okay, you might as well just clutter up the database with every bad wannbe mastering engineer EQ job too.

As for the Atmos mix, I‘ve only listened to bits and pieces, but it sounds like it has more air than the stereo mix IMO. I’ve heard more exciting mixes, but I’ve heard worse mixes too. It‘s a fairly straightforward recording at its core (mostly drums, bass, guitar, vocals with occasional piano) so it makes sense it’s fairly front oriented.

Last edited:
this sounds really good. I didn't hear it in 2019 when it was included in the box set.

Just an FYI, the physical blu-ray release of this will be 24/96 whereas this apple stream is 16/48
24/48. But even worse, upconverted from a lossy source. Like all Atmos mixes on Apple Music.

No surprise the BDPA was squashed. Many of them were among the worst versions available.

It’s not a great recording to begin with IMO, but the original UK/EU 1LP vinyl and the more recent deluxe EU 2LP vinyl are better than the digital versions (and the US vinyl pressings have not been as good AFAIK).

As for the de-clipped entry, I thought the DR Database was supposed to be (or will be) doing away with that nonsense. It‘s just some guy with nothing better to do than loading the BDPA files into audacity or some such and using the declip plug-in to artificially restore clips.

The problem is they are completely dependent upon the settings the person chooses to utilize. We have no idea if it sounds good or not; they’re just amateur custom jobs unavailable to anyone. Throwing them into the DR database is completely misusing the DR database - and DRs.

If these are okay, you might as well just clutter up the database with every bad wannbe mastering engineer EQ job too.

As for the Atmos mix, I‘ve only listened to bits and pieces, but it sounds like it has more air than the stereo mix IMO. I’ve heard more exciting mixes, but I’ve heard worse mixes too. It‘s a fairly straightforward recording at its core (mostly drums, bass, guitar, vocals with occasional piano) so it makes sense it’s fairly front oriented.
I'm on a quick listen before next meeting. It's still quite limited, but the mix is nice and it does contains some discreet elements on the surrounds. Not a very adventurous mix, but a much better experience than at least my CD

Anyone else instinctively hitting the skip back button 5 seconds after every track starts to see if it suddenly becomes surround (Dolby Audio or not?). I'm really starting to hate Apple.
No. Because it happens only with Dolby Audio tracks and it’s clearly stated on the screen if a record is in Dolby Audio or not. Hope they will correct this bug soon, though.

It happens with Dolby Atmos too - at least it does for me (and others).
It’s a strange fault, for me it only affects the Dolby Audio tracks Atmos tracks play as they should, yet for others it affects both, wonder if any have it only on Atmos and Dolby Audio plays fine? Must make diagnosing the fault difficult :unsure:

No. Because it happens only with Dolby Audio tracks and it’s clearly stated on the screen if a record is in Dolby Audio or not. Hope they will correct this bug soon, though.

Clearly stated on the screen if you hit the menu button, not during normal playback. It has a lot to do with you you listen to things. I tend to add a bunch of new music then shuffle it. The bug is triggered going from a stereo track to a DA track so if you listen to a DA album straight through you only have to fix it for the first track. They way I listen, it is hell. I know, if it hurts when you do that, don't do that.

The bug is not fixed in the latest beta (which I believe is the release candidate for 15.1), so don't hold your breath. I predict it will be at least 6 months, and likely a year. It has already been more than one month.

OMG On the Run sounds so good in atmos surround. The Helio's at the begining are just so well panned in a 3-D space

the whole album really

you've got to crank that shit

almost better than the Alan Parsons quad mix o_O

I feel like the day 15 years ago that I DL'ed the mysterious DSOTM quad mix that no one knew who created it and the intranets were abuzz. 😲 :cool: :love:

this came out of nowhere. I didn't hear the 2019 later years release but can't imagine it was as good as this.

Someone put their magic finger to this and I'm very impressed. Beside myself.

Poll time, time to die

Last edited:
OMG On the Run sounds so good in atmos surround. The Helio's at the begining are just so well panned in a 3-D space

the whole album really

you've got to crank that shit

almost better than the Alan Parsons quad mix o_O

I feel like the day 15 years ago that I DL'ed the mysterious DSOTM quad mix that no one knew who created it and the intranets were abuzz. 😲 :cool: :love:

this came out of nowhere. I didn't hear the 2019 later years release but can't imagine it was as good as this.

Someone put their magic finger to this and I'm very impressed. Beside myself.

Poll time, time to die
Is this in Atmos? I thought it was the 5.1 from the Later Years box?

Back