Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it looks like The Spinners “I’ll Be Around” is no longer available in Atmos

still here! 😅

8463C9C2-55F8-49B2-986D-5F65E566EB96.jpeg

BE ON THE LOOKOUT!

remaster class
ROXY MUSIC AVALON
As Free As The Wind

In my Oct./Nov. issue of Sound & Vision magazine (I did not find an online version); the last page was an article by Mike Mettler about the different versions of Roxy Music's Avalon. Of course the SACD came out on top for Mettler (as well it should.)

But what really caught my attention was the second to last paragraph:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I asked Clearmountain if he'd mix Avalon any differently for Dolby Atmos than what he did on SACD, he immediately shared one key part of his gameplan. "The main thing I found when I went back and relistened to Avalon in 5.1 was I spread Bryan Ferry's lead vocal across all three front speakers, and I don't do that much anymore", he noted. "Instead I'd focus it more in the Center speaker and use a divergence where there's a little bit in the left and right so it's not totally isolated."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mettler mentioned he hoped for a new 40th anniversary mix for 2022 (I assume as to Atmos inclusion, as he's a big fan of Apple Music's Spatial Audio.)

*The possibility of that Clearmountain Atmos mix, seems indeed BRIGHT!

Last edited:
BE ON THE LOOKOUT!

remaster class
ROXY MUSIC AVALON
As Free As The Wind

In my Oct./Nov. issue of Sound & Vision magazine (I did not find an online version); the last page was an article by Mike Mettler about the different versions of Roxy Music's Avalon. Of course the SACD came out on top for Mettler (as well it should.)

When I asked Clearmountain if he'd mix(ed) Avalon any differently for Dolby Atmos than what he did on SACD, he immediately shared one key part of his gameplan. "The main thing I found when I went back and relistened to Avalon in 5.1 was I spread Bryan Ferry's lead vocal across all three front speakers, and I don't do that much anymore", he noted. "Instead I'd focus it more in the Center speaker and use a divergence where there's a little bit in the left and right so it's not totally isolated."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mettler mentioned he hoped for a new 40th anniversary mix for 2022 (I assume as to Atmos inclusion, as he's a big fan of Apple Music's Spatial Audio.)

The "(ed)" on mix(ed). Hmm? I'm guessing that doesn't mean that he has can't understand why the editor/article writer would add that?

The "(ed)" on mix(ed). Hmm? I'm guessing that doesn't mean that he has can't understand why the editor/article writer would add that?
Good catch, that's my error, I added the (ed) thought it was "he had" instead of "he would"- still I'm thinking a good possibility for 2022. The prices on those SACDs are outrageous!

I'll edit!

BE ON THE LOOKOUT!

remaster class
ROXY MUSIC AVALON
As Free As The Wind

When I asked Clearmountain if he'd mix Avalon any differently for Dolby Atmos than what he did on SACD, he immediately shared one key part of his gameplan. "The main thing I found when I went back and relistened to Avalon in 5.1 was I spread Bryan Ferry's lead vocal across all three front speakers, and I don't do that much anymore", he noted. "Instead I'd focus it more in the Center speaker and use a divergence where there's a little bit in the left and right so it's not totally isolated."

I don’t see this anything from this which indicates an atmos mix might be in the works. It’s just some wishful thinking and Clearmountain talking about what he would have done “IF”, not what he is doing or will be doing.

Last edited:
Clearly stated on the screen if you hit the menu button, not during normal playback. It has a lot to do with you you listen to things. I tend to add a bunch of new music then shuffle it. The bug is triggered going from a stereo track to a DA track so if you listen to a DA album straight through you only have to fix it for the first track. They way I listen, it is hell. I know, if it hurts when you do that, don't do that.

The bug is not fixed in the latest beta (which I believe is the release candidate for 15.1), so don't hold your breath. I predict it will be at least 6 months, and likely a year. It has already been more than one month.
The bug gets triggered randomly - even when I listen to an atmos or 5.1 album straight through - on occasion for me.

OMG On the Run sounds so good in atmos surround. The Helio's at the begining are just so well panned in a 3-D space

the whole album really

you've got to crank that shit

almost better than the Alan Parsons quad mix o_O

I feel like the day 15 years ago that I DL'ed the mysterious DSOTM quad mix that no one knew who created it and the intranets were abuzz. 😲 :cool: :love:

this came out of nowhere. I didn't hear the 2019 later years release but can't imagine it was as good as this.

Someone put their magic finger to this and I'm very impressed. Beside myself.

Poll time, time to die

so call me crazy, drunk, stoned, but it seems to me apple has fixed the issue in playback and now everything plays back correctly without having to skip to the beginning (to reset the dolby audio playback)

thoughts?

If true, congrats apple for the quickness

If not, I'm just a halluciantor

so call me crazy, drunk, stoned, but it seems to me apple has fixed the issue in playback and now everything plays back correctly without having to skip to the beginning (to reset the dolby audio playback)

thoughts?

You had me checking this out first thing this morning.
But..
No change here I'm sorry to report.

Oh well, we live in hope.

Edit
Deleted On an Island and added it to my library, same result...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

thoughts?

Not fixed for me either. I’m not sure how it could get fixed without a software update.

There was an update to 15.1 release candidate but nothing has changed
I’m not sure what you mean by “update to 15.1 release candidate”?

15.1 was released to the public a week or so ago. And yes, nothing changed. My point was I don’t see how anything can get fixed until 15.2 - at the earliest.

Back