Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You had me checking this out first thing this morning.
But..
No change here I'm sorry to report.

Oh well, we live in hope.

Edit
Deleted On an Island and added it to my library, same result...:rolleyes:

On Live in Pompeii and Delicate Sound of Thunder, once I start playing I don't have to skip back to beginning of each song. I just start and it plays thru every song just fine.

On some albums previously (can't recall if same albums or different) I had to skip to the beginning of each song, so maybe it's album dependent. IDK?

I'm still on 15.0, haven't done the very latest upgrade.

on some of those previous albums I was absolutely pulling my hair out having to do it for each song so I definately noticed the difference and that's what I'm wondering, has anyone else noticed that difference?

EDIT: can confirm that Pearl Jam's Ten is "fixed" now whereas I seem to remember this maybe being a problematic album?

Last edited:
This is great...6 Pink Floyd/Gilmour albums in Dolby Audio 5.1 and

Here's some PINK in ATMOS...

https://music.apple.com/us/album/beautiful-trauma/1269268686
https://music.apple.com/us/album/hurts-2b-human/1456444580
I believe this was on DualDisc...
https://music.apple.com/us/album/im-not-dead/315889892
when I first tried Pink’s Im not Dead, it initially played back in stereo only, despite my Marantz saying it was multi channel And the menu on Apple Music saying it was Dolby Audio. I restarted the track and it magically played back in 5.1

then, after skipping around the album, listening to several tracks, it decided to start playing back in ATMOS. The album info now saying it’s a Dolby ATMOS recording.

COLOR me confusEd!

tvOS 15.2 beta 1 is out and no big surprise the Dolby Audio/Atmos bug is still there. So if you want to stay on the release version, no reason to mess around with it.

Argh. I've still managed to elude the update for now, but it feels like it's just a matter of time before the finger slips.

Googling, I found a "fix" for blocking updates altogether on ATV4K--it not only turns off auto-update, but doesn't even download updates and prompt you to install them--but the fix only works up through OS 11.1, which is no good if you want to play Atmos. I don't think anyone has found a way to do something similar for more recent versions of the OS.

Argh. I've still managed to elude the update for now, but it feels like it's just a matter of time before the finger slips.

Googling, I found a "fix" for blocking updates altogether on ATV4K--it not only turns off auto-update, but doesn't even download updates and prompt you to install them--but the fix only works up through OS 11.1, which is no good if you want to play Atmos. I don't think anyone has found a way to do something similar for more recent versions of the OS.

The only way I can respond to this Apple dilemma:

https://www.gocomics.com/wumo/2021/10/26

Can someone give the cliff notes on the ATV Atmos bug?
If your ATV is updated to the latest software update, you likely have the bug. Tracks that are "Dolby Audio" (not Atmos), which includes mixes in 5.1 and 4.0, will play either all from the front left speaker, or with some weird stereo with most of it coming from front left. The workaround for this is to let the track play for 5-6 seconds and then hit the "Back" button on your remote (the left arrow on the big circular button). This should bring it back to proper playback.

(edit: some users are reporting the issue with Atmos tracks in addition to Dolby Audio tracks.)

Last edited:
If your ATV is updated to the latest software update, you likely have the bug. Tracks that are "Dolby Audio" (not Atmos), which includes mixes in 5.1 and 4.0, will play either all from the front left speaker, or with some weird stereo with most of it coming from front left. The workaround for this is to let the track play for 5-6 seconds and then hit the "Back" button on your remote (the left arrow on the big circular button). This should bring it back to proper playback.
Yet again, it affects ATMOS material as well as Dolby Audio material. I don’t know why some folks continue to write that it only affects Dolby Audio material.

Perhaps the handshake to your receiver is different. I have a Denon X6200W and only this problem with Dolby Audio tracks. Atmos is fine!
Perhaps. But that doesn’t matter. Anyone following this issue here and elsewhere knows that many people - if not nearly all - are experiencing the issue with Atmos AND Dolby Audio. You appear to be the exception, not the rule

So when someone writes specifically about the Atmos bug - which implies he/she is also having the issue with Atmos tracks - why not, at the very least, qualify the answer as “your experience” rather than explicitly and definitively providing incorrect info?

Back