Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm yeah spending more time with it, older mixes seem to be fine. But most of the latest released pop stuff has no center channel at all. Strange.

Pearl Jam's Ten and Tom Petty's Wildflowers are pretty light on the center channel as well, seems to be par for the course with these streaming-exclusive surround mixes.

Pearl Jam's Ten and Tom Petty's Wildflowers are pretty light on the center channel as well, seems to be par for the course with these streaming-exclusive surround mixes.

these aren’t just light. There’s no signal at all. My AVR says it is receiving 5.1 and outputting 5.1 but not only is there no sound in the center channel, but my center speaker eventually shuts off due to lack of signal.

If this how they mix them, then fine I suppose. But seems weird they’d make a big deal about all the channels in an Atmos mix and then not use one at all.

these aren’t just light. There’s no signal at all. My AVR says it is receiving 5.1 and outputting 5.1 but not only is there no sound in the center channel, but my center speaker eventually shuts off due to lack of signal.

If this how they mix them, then fine I suppose. But seems weird they’d make a big deal about all the channels in an Atmos mix and then not use one at all.
I wonder if this is a bug like the one seen on the 5.1 stuff ( all left front channel unless you restarted the track)

I wonder if this is a bug like the one seen on the 5.1 stuff ( all left front channel unless you restarted the track)
Could be anything, I suppose. Technology often confounds me. :). But I flip to, say, the Steven Wilson album and it sounds great and discreet and the center channel is loud and clear. Heck, even “Little Saint Nick” had a program in the center. But those two albums and a few other random recently recently tracks I went to had no center at all and sounded a bit muffled overall to my ears.

these aren’t just light. There’s no signal at all.

Maybe this is a Tidal issue? On Apple Music, both albums have a low-level isolated vocal in the center speaker. It doesn't really impact the overall surround presentation, but is definitely interesting to listen to in isolation (especially Eddie Vedder's voice on Ten). I'm listening on a 5.1 system with an older AVR that pre-dates Atmos.

Maybe this is a Tidal issue? On Apple Music, both albums have a low-level isolated vocal in the center speaker. It doesn't really impact the overall surround presentation, but is definitely interesting to listen to in isolation (especially Eddie Vedder's voice on Ten). I'm listening on a 5.1 system with an older AVR that pre-dates Atmos.

Pearl Jam isn't on Tidal Atmos unfortunately. Only Sony 360.

@keywhiz The center channel is definitely is there. This is Even Flow. From top to bottom, left channel, center, LFE, surround. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about Apple doing something weird to Atmos mixes. If you listen to them on the official Apple Music vs ripping using a virtual sound driver with a Mac and playing back via Kodi, it's a completely different sounding mix. Apple Music & Atmos processing

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 10.10.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 10.10.19 PM.png
    353.1 KB · Views: 56
Updated some Apple TV 4 units to TVOS 15.3 this morning. Just checking before I push the button if anyone has experienced any issues with multichannel Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio playback, after updating Apple TV 4K to 15.3?

I‘m running 15.3 on Apple TV 4K and have no issues with any surround music.

Updated some Apple TV 4 units to TVOS 15.3 this morning. Just checking before I push the button if anyone has experienced any issues with multichannel Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio playback, after updating Apple TV 4K to 15.3?

If you have updated them already, aren't you the one that could tell us if there are any issues? And if there were, since you updated already, what could you do about it?

If you have updated them already, aren't you the one that could tell us if there are any issues? And if there were, since you updated already, what could you do about it?
I did NOT update them already. I updated OLDER Apple TV 4 units! Different devices. They were NOT 4K units and do not support Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio in the music app. I am wary about updating the 4K units after the dramas of last September with the one channel error. I am aware some people are running the beta upgrades, may have had 15.3 for a while and maybe aware if there are any issues.

I am a new 4K user. I have whatever the latest Apple update is. It hasn't missed a beat in 2 weeks. I am not Atmos capable yet. But it streams 5.1 perfectly. I'm impressed with the music selection in general, not just the spatial stuff. Its like a music playground...There are no artists i haven't found yet, and very few specific selections that are missing. Even the music video selection is outstanding.

I did NOT update them already. I updated OLDER Apple TV 4 units! Different devices. They were NOT 4K units and do not support Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio in the music app. I am wary about updating the 4K units after the dramas of last September with the one channel error. I am aware some people are running the beta upgrades, may have had 15.3 for a while and maybe aware if there are any issues.

Sorry didn't notice that you mentioned both 4 and 4K units. (Apple's lame product naming strikes again).

I’ve had issues since the update, it tries to decode in 7.1 and or audio goes in and out. I have to restart my ATV and then it works but pain in the ass. This is also with streaming Atmos movies on Netflix and other services not only music.

Sorry didn't notice that you mentioned both 4 and 4K units. (Apple's lame product naming strikes again).
Awwwhh! No problem! It might be me. It is confusing. I note the older units are referred to as ‘Apple TV HD’ on Apple’s website. I’ve always referred to them as ‘4’ as per 4th generation. Maybe I should get a job there…

Back