Apple Music - Dolby Atmos Playback From Mac

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible to get at least 5.1 using Apple Music on a MacBook Pro using HDMI into your AV receiver. I’m doing it myself as I got 3 months for the price of 1. You need the latest MacOS and it probably doesn’t work on older generations, but I think mine might be from 2017 so anything from that and above you should be good to use a MacBook, if you’ve got one
I was able to upgrade my 2014 Mac Mini to Monterey and get surround playback from Apple Music.

You can download the Apple TV app on devices like Roku, I’m unsure if it streams stuff in Atmos as I don’t have the capability but it probably does 5.1.

It is possible to get at least 5.1 using Apple Music on a MacBook Pro using HDMI into your AV receiver. I’m doing it myself as I got 3 months for the price of 1. You need the latest MacOS and it probably doesn’t work on older generation MacBooks, but I think mine might be from 2017 so anything from that and above you should be good to use a MacBook, if you’ve got one
I connected my macbook pro to my receiver but it only plays in lpcm 5.1 not atmos, which is why i’m wondering if there’s anyway around it without buying apple tv 4k

The only way to get Apple Atmos music into your AVR is with a Apple TV 4k device. You can buy all sort of them on ebay for $100 and well worth the money. ;)
Okay thanks, I don’t have any spare cash lying around to buy something i’ll only use for 6 months, at least now I know

I connected my macbook pro to my receiver but it only plays in lpcm 5.1 not atmos, which is why i’m wondering if there’s anyway around it without buying apple tv 4k
I’m sure you’ve read through this entire thread but have you checked your settings in Audio MIDI Setup? Maybe there’s something there you don’t have set right or like @Sal1950 says maybe Atmos is just impossible without an Apple TV. Either way the downmixed 5.1 is still great and better than nothing!

I’m sure you’ve read through this entire thread but have you checked your settings in Audio MIDI Setup? Maybe there’s something there you don’t have set right or like @Sal1950 says maybe Atmos is just impossible without an Apple TV. Either way the downmixed 5.1 is still great and better than nothing!
The issue is that Apple Music on Mac doesn't appear to be able to send the undecoded bitstream to an AVR like the Apple TV can, so it defaults to decoded 5.1 PCM (despite there being output options for 5.1.4 and 7.1.4 Atmos in the Audio MIDI setup menu). There is a convoluted way to get 7.1.4 Atmos out of the Mac though, using a virtual device like LoopBack or BlackHole to route the 12 discrete channels into a DAW and then out to the speakers from there. @humprof linked an interesting article on that topic upthread.
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...listen-to-dolby-atmos-without-costly-hardware

I have tried everything, my problem is to connect my macbook to my avr I have to remove something else which becomes a nightmare (I dont like unplugging and plugging hdmi cables) just to listen in 5.1, it might be worth it in atmos but I can listen to my own music in 5.1 or atmos without the hassle, I just wanted the use of atmos for 6 months because it’s free. I guess I wont be making use of it after all

Sidenote for those in the US: Costco is having another of its periodic sales on select Apple products, including various versions of the MacBook Pro with the new M1 Pro chip. $350 off retail price--which is $150 cheaper than the last two times they were on sale.

The issue is that Apple Music on Mac doesn't appear to be able to send the undecoded bitstream to an AVR like the Apple TV can, so it defaults to decoded 5.1 PCM (despite there being output options for 5.1.4 and 7.1.4 Atmos in the Audio MIDI setup menu). There is a convoluted way to get 7.1.4 Atmos out of the Mac though, using a virtual device like LoopBack or BlackHole to route the 12 discrete channels into a DAW and then out to the speakers from there. @humprof linked an interesting article on that topic upthread.
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...listen-to-dolby-atmos-without-costly-hardware

Using the LoopBack app on my five-year-old iMac enabled an upgrade to 7.4.1 from 5.1 for streaming Atmos from the Apple Music app.
[For the handful of Atmos blu rays I own, still limited to ear-level listening only.]

The linked article above combined with @sjcorne 's excellent guide to a budget Atmos system inspired me to configure my system using components from my existing "project studio" and a $100 used AVR.

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/2022/08/building-a-7-1-4-dolby-atmos-on-a-budget/
The key, as the above articles illustrate, is the ability to configure an "aggregate" sound output combining HDMI to an AVR with analog line outs from a USB audio interface for the height channels.

A few of us now have had success with this method.
I encourage anyone curious to consider if it might work for them.

Thanks to all the folks who've shared info & contributed to these threads as we explore evolving possibilities for exploiting available tech in creative, economical ways. @humprof @fredblue etc.

For those with space & equipment as well as budget limitations, 5.x.2, 5.x.4, 4.x.4, etc. permutations appear to be possible.

Pairs of line level signals can be connected to amps and speakers from a 2, 4 or 12-channel USB interface.
At the most basic level, existing 5.1 could add two height (or ear-level) channels with a only a stereo USB and amp.

As Jonathan points out, decent used 7.1 and 5.1 AVRs with analog inputs are widely available inexpensively.
I picked up the Yamaha RX-V665 7.2-Channel AVR he suggests for $100 shipped on eBay (minus remote & setup mic).
==========================================

I started this thread early in the year when I found the HDMI out from an Apple display port adapter could send 5.1 to my AVR from the Music app as an alternative to the Apple TV box (post #1).

This summer, I upgraded my Mac to the new Monterey macOS & hard drive to SSD.
This allowed me to run the new Atmos 7.1.4 Logic Pro music production app.
Added a Behringer USB 1820 audio interface for playback & recording.
Behringer | Product | UMC1820

Discovered macOS doesn't support 5.1.4, which was my preference, since I had a 5.1 AVR and four powered monitors in my quad project studio.
Atmos options are 5.1.2 or 7.1.4.

This was incentive to progress from five to seven ear-level speakers plus four heights to take full advantage of surround mixing options in Logic.

This is the aggregate device config I use:
(SAMSUNG is the tv on the HDMI video out from my AVR that macOS sees)

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.24.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 1.26.06 PM.png

To use the LoopBack app, it would only work with channels 9-12 on the Behringer 1820.
11 & 12 are not analog audio, but rca co-ax digital SPDIF.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.28.44 PM.png

An unexpected quirk, resolved with a $11 192K DAC from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TXLDQYJ

1664217893501.png

In parallel, the limitation of the Apple Music app on a Mac to a 5.1 downmix from the Atmos stream.
The LoopBack app configured per the link at the top of this post now has me hearing all of the 7.1.4 channels.
It has a free trial option.
I happily paid the $99 after getting it to work on my system.
Considering an Apple TV box to stream height channels still requires an expensive Atmos AVR.

Its interface is intuitive to me, as an old-school geezer, using virtual patch cords.
Moving, combining, muting, and soloing channels a cinch, once you learn the trick is click to highlight a connection, delete it using the trash can icon at the bottom left, then redraw it to a different output.

Includes level meters & master volume controls:

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 7.27.32 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.51.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 11.51.32 PM.png
    85 KB · Views: 0
To use the LoopBack app, it would only work with channels 9-12 on the Behringer 1820.
Another odd feature of the 1820 unit is that the level of line outputs 1&2 ("Main Out") is controlled by a volume knob on the front panel, it's not just a pass-through like the others. I guess those are supposed to be reserved for powered monitors?

Great job laying it all out! Glad to see someone read my article and was able to reproduce the results.

Using the LoopBack app on my five-year-old iMac enabled an upgrade to 7.4.1 from 5.1 for streaming Atmos from the Apple Music app.
[For the handful of Atmos blu rays I own, still limited to ear-level listening only.]

The linked article above combined with @sjcorne 's excellent guide to a budget Atmos system inspired me to configure my system using components from my existing "project studio" and a $100 used AVR.

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/2022/08/building-a-7-1-4-dolby-atmos-on-a-budget/
The key, as the above articles illustrate, is the ability to configure an "aggregate" sound output combining HDMI to an AVR with analog line outs from a USB audio interface for the height channels.

A few of us now have had success with this method.
I encourage anyone curious to consider if it might work for them.

Thanks to all the folks who've shared info & contributed to these threads as we explore evolving possibilities for exploiting available tech in creative, economical ways. @humprof @fredblue etc.

For those with space & equipment as well as budget limitations, 5.x.2, 5.x.4, 4.x.4, etc. permutations appear to be possible.

Pairs of line level signals can be connected to amps and speakers from a 2, 4 or 12-channel USB interface.
At the most basic level, existing 5.1 could add two height (or ear-level) channels with a only a stereo USB and amp.

As Jonathan points out, decent used 7.1 and 5.1 AVRs with analog inputs are widely available inexpensively.
I picked up the Yamaha RX-V665 7.2-Channel AVR he suggests for $100 shipped on eBay (minus remote & setup mic).
==========================================

I started this thread early in the year when I found the HDMI out from an Apple display port adapter could send 5.1 to my AVR from the Music app as an alternative to the Apple TV box (post #1).

This summer, I upgraded my Mac to the new Monterey macOS & hard drive to SSD.
This allowed me to run the new Atmos 7.1.4 Logic Pro music production app.
Added a Behringer USB 1820 audio interface for playback & recording.
Behringer | Product | UMC1820

Discovered macOS doesn't support 5.1.4, which was my preference, since I had a 5.1 AVR and four powered monitors in my quad project studio.
Atmos options are 5.1.2 or 7.1.4.

This was incentive to progress from five to seven ear-level speakers plus four heights to take full advantage of surround mixing options in Logic.

This is the aggregate device config I use:
(SAMSUNG is the tv on the HDMI video out from my AVR that macOS sees)

View attachment 83939
View attachment 83941

View attachment 83943

An unexpected quirk, resolved with a $11 192K DAC from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TXLDQYJ

View attachment 83942

In parallel, the limitation of the Apple Music app on a Mac to a 5.1 downmix from the Atmos stream.
The LoopBack app configured per the link at the top of this post now has me hearing all of the 7.1.4 channels.
It has a free trial option.
I happily paid the $99 after getting it to work on my system.
Considering an Apple TV box to stream height channels still requires an expensive Atmos AVR.

Its interface is intuitive to me, as an old-school geezer, using virtual patch cords.
Moving, combining, muting, and soloing channels a cinch, once you learn the trick is click to highlight a connection, delete it using the trash can icon at the bottom left, then redraw it to a different output.

Includes level meters & master volume controls:

View attachment 83944

I find these kinds of stories really satisfying; I just love hearing about people a) devising workarounds for needless/stupid restrictions, b) cobbling together great systems incorporating old/repurposed equipment, and c) saving a buck. It hits that sweet spot where my cheapskate tendencies intersect with my propensity for getting worked up into a righteous lather.

My situation is slightly different, though: I've already got a working 5.1.4 system (with no practical way of expanding from 5 to 7 or 9 ear-level speakers, because of room limitations). All I want to do is to send Apple Spatial Audio (and/or Atmos-encoded mp4 or mkv files) from my spiffy new MacBook Pro to my AVR via HDMI. I still can't understand why Apple doesn't want to make it easy for me to do that.

Another odd feature of the 1820 unit is that the level of line outputs 1&2 ("Main Out") is controlled by a volume knob on the front panel, it's not just a pass-through like the others. I guess those are supposed to be reserved for powered monitors?

Yeah, learned that the hard way.
Also the adjacent monitoring mix knob that blends input and playback.
Quirky little unit, but powerful for the price.

Only today discovered doing research the accessory ADA8200 intended for use with the 30-year-old ADAT lightpipe interface to add the full complement of eight additional ins & outs.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 4.37.23 PM.png

Only today discovered doing research the accessory ADA8200 intended for use with the 30-year-old ADAT lightpipe interface to add the full complement of eight additional ins & outs.
Yep, it's pretty misleading how they call it an 18-in/20-out device when it's really more like 8-in/8-out without any accessories. Despite what the description says, you should always count the # of mic preamps in these USB units to get the real story.

Not an "odd" feature at all for an audio interface. They are dedicated preamplified stereo monitoring outputs. I suppose they would seem strange to a non-engineer who's just looking for some line outputs.
Yep, it's pretty misleading how they call it an 18-in/20-out device when it's really 8-in/8-out without any accessories. Despite what the description says, you should always count the # of mic preamps in these USB units to get the real story.
It's not misleading at all to those versed in professional/prosumer interfaces. The digital ins/outs are always part of the count. And no, it's not just the number of mic preamps to count for analog inputs, as there may also be line level inputs without preamps.

I had last week a telephone call wit a senioradviser of Apple. There is no solution at this moment to play Dolby Atmos From Apple Music On a Macintosh, i have a MacMini and a Macbook Pro both from 2018 with latest Ventura, to an AVR.
She confirmed also that Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 in the audio settings is a fake, because the signal only goes tot the back surround.
Normal because Dolby Atmos is not channel oriented.
Only solution is a Apple tv 4k or Hd. A newer Mac system is also not giving a solution. She advise me to send a feedback what i have done. I have ask for a situation that the Mac system gives trough a dolby atmos stream from Apple Music as bitstream and not converted as a PCM. And i have also the fake dolby atmos setting in the audio/midi configuration reported.

i can only asked the users of this forum do the same, please send a feedback. We have all a costly Mac and a costly AVR. I want Dolby Atmos over a Mac!

I can use my system from a distance no screen needed, with Apple TV is that not possible.

Peter Spaan

I had last week a telephone call wit a senioradviser of Apple. There is no solution at this moment to play Dolby Atmos From Apple Music On a Macintosh, i have a MacMini and a Macbook Pro both from 2018 with latest Ventura, to an AVR.
She confirmed also that Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 in the audio settings is a fake, because the signal only goes tot the back surround.
Normal because Dolby Atmos is not channel oriented.
Only solution is a Apple tv 4k or Hd. A newer Mac system is also not giving a solution. She advise me to send a feedback what i have done. I have ask for a situation that the Mac system gives trough a dolby atmos stream from Apple Music as bitstream and not converted as a PCM. And i have also the fake dolby atmos setting in the audio/midi configuration reported.

i can only asked the users of this forum do the same, please send a feedback. We have all a costly Mac and a costly AVR. I want Dolby Atmos over a Mac!

I can use my system from a distance no screen needed, with Apple TV is that not possible.

Peter Spaan
Calling @sjcorne. . . .

@c humprof

i only asking for users to send feedback to Apple maybe it will help
Welcome to QQ, @Peeties. I agree: it certainly can't hurt for users to send feedback to Apple--although I'm skeptical that it would move them to do anything anytime soon (if at all). In any case, there has been some previous discussion of this issue here on QQ, and the reason I was calling on Moderator sjcorne is that he will remember where the relevant threads are--and because he has devised a workaround that may work for you, depending upon your ambition, your budget, and your level of technical proficiency.

@humproof

i am only interested in a solution with HDMI to an AVR, in this thread i believe the case is by some users for this situation clearly explained, and thats is the reason that i have asked for many feedbacks to apple.
i am aware there are more threads with discussing our case, and the OP was only interested in Surround not directly DOLBY Atmos.

and believe me it was a hell of a job to find information on internet why it is not working on a Mac i am no professional

There is no solution at this moment to play Dolby Atmos From Apple Music On a Macintosh, i have a MacMini and a Macbook Pro both from 2018 with latest Ventura, to an AVR.
Calling @sjcorne. . . .
That is absolutely not true, and those various Atmos configurations in the Audio MIDI Setup (5.1.2, 7.1.4, etc) aren't fake. I have several Mac computers (2020 MBP w/ Ventura, 2015 MBP w/ Monterey, 2014 Mini w/ Monterey), all of which pass 7.1.4 Atmos out of Apple Music.

The issue is that the Apple Music app on MacOS will not send a DD+/JOC bitstream for decoding inside an AVR (like the Apple TV does), but - if you route its output to a virtual device like LoopBack or BlackHole with at least 12 outputs - it will decode the Atmos stream internally into discrete 12 channel PCM. Another problem is that MacOS limits HDMI outputs to 8 channels, so you'll need to use line outputs to get all 12 signals out of the computer.

Some articles worth checking out:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...listen-to-dolby-atmos-without-costly-hardwarehttps://immersiveaudioalbum.com/2022/08/building-a-7-1-4-dolby-atmos-on-a-budget/

Back