Apple to support Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as it has taken Apple a looooooong time to implement the latest tech in their Apple TV's, these devices still seem to be THE way to go for movies and now music in Atmos. I've had 1st, 3rd gen and now 4K versions and I'm glad I stuck with them. When I had a Mac Mini it was always a pain for music and even my MacBook Pro's so I never really relied on them or embraced those for music playback. Heck we even ripped a bunch of redbook to a hard drive...and guess what? That hard drive is collection years of dust. Just never used it even though we had grand intentions. I'll just as well pop in a physical disc or now that Apple Music has lossless (and Atmos) is the way to go for me - and coming from Qobuz and Tidal (both which are no longer subscribed to by me).

But it still can be confusing. A lot of due diligence needs to be done. For example with the two options below, if you're not very careful and buy the first one because it is on sale, you won't get Atmos capability....or will you?

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 5.33.04 PM.png

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_472ATV4K32/Apple-TV-4K-32GB.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_472AT4K32G/Apple-TV-4K-2021-32GB.html

Last edited:
But it still can be confusing. A lot of due diligence needs to be done. For example with the two options below, if you're not very careful and buy the first one because it is on sale, you won't get Atmos capability....or will you?

View attachment 70398

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_472ATV4K32/Apple-TV-4K-32GB.html
I have the Apple TV 4K - it supports Atmos, but FYI the remote is a pain.

Last week Amazon had the Apple TV HD model on sale. It does NOT support Atmos. Also no 4K.

It can be for someone not in the Apple eco-system and I've been in for so long (and also do the beta updates).

I got the ATV4k when it first came out, it didn't have Atmos capability and I didn't know if it ever would. Apple was always known for being more cutting edge on the video capability side than audio. They have been painfully slow with audio, so much so, that you couldn't get even 5.1 until ATV4k. Then they released an update that eventually came a few months later for Atmos. Now all versions of ATV4k will provide Atmos capability.

I'm an Apple user and I'm not all that interested in Atmos. My mini is connected via DAC to my Rega Mira 3 pushing Monitor Audio speakers. I can use Apple Music or Audirvana to listen to music through the mini. I guess I am old school but I still like 2 channel stereo for my music. I've listened to Atmos from my Apple TV 4K through my surround receiver/speakers but it just doesn't sound all that great. It sounds better with headphones though. If I want Atmos I can listen to 5.1 music, lol.

It's insulting that Apple suggests they "support" Atmos - when it doesn't work! Mac mini + hdmi + receiver capable of receiving Atmos from every other hdmi device I've connected to it = no detection of Atmos. When I checked the option to turn on Atmos in Apple music, it told me I need to buy a soundbar or headphones that supports it.

As someone that bought into Atmos and enjoys listening to Atmos, once again I have to say, fuck Atmos! Dolby, and all the other participants, have really screwed us over on this one. If you thought figuring out quad was bad.....wait until you try this one. This stands absolutely no chance.
I am streaming Apple Music Atmos with my MacMini / Big Sur thru HDMI to my Yamaha RX-A2080. AppleTV 4K works as well. This configuration also works with Tidal.

It can be for someone not in the Apple eco-system and I've been in for so long (and also do the beta updates).

I got the ATV4k when it first came out, it didn't have Atmos capability and I didn't know if it ever would. Apple was always known for being more cutting edge on the video capability side than audio. They have been painfully slow with audio, so much so, that you couldn't get even 5.1 until ATV4k. Then they released an update that eventually came a few months later for Atmos. Now all versions of ATV4k will provide Atmos capability.

Erik, my concern is not so much getting Atmos via Apple Music, but rather streaming Atmos movies on Disney+. This note from another forum specifically says that Apple TV 4K (5th generation) tvOS 12, tvOS 13 is required. So I can't be sure that anything other than the latest Apple box will work...Even then I can't be sure.

Disney Atmos.jpg

The Rascals got it right:
How can I be sure
In a world that's constantly changing

🤪

Current model is 6th generation so 5th isn't the "latest". Any AppleTV 4K will do Atmos for TV/Movies/and now Apple Music. The AppleTV 4 (HD, not 4K) does not.

Erik, my concern is not so much getting Atmos via Apple Music, but rather streaming Atmos movies on Disney+. This note from another forum specifically says that Apple TV 4K (5th generation) tvOS 12, tvOS 13 is required. So I can't be sure that anything other than the latest Apple box will work...Even then I can't be sure.

View attachment 70433

The Rascals got it right:
How can I be sure
In a world that's constantly changing

🤪

I can confirm that BOTH 4K models support Atmos from streaming movies and Apple Music.

Use the LATEST firmware.

Release date
  • 1st generation: January 9, 2007; 14 years ago
  • 2nd generation: September 1, 2010; 10 years ago
  • 3rd generation: March 7, 2012; 9 years ago
  • 3rd generation Rev A: January 28, 2013; 8 years ago
  • HD: October 30, 2015; 5 years ago. (a.k.a. 4th Gen)
  • 4K (1st generation): September 22, 2017; 3 years ago. (a.k.a. 5th gen)
  • 4K (2nd generation): May 21, 2021; 3 months ago. (a.k.a. 6th gen)

I can speak first hand, having an original ATV4k that you'll have no problem with Atmos on Disney +. So ANY ATV4k unit will provide Atmos. Non 4k is no good.

Does anyone know if the Apple TV 4k will downmix Atmos to 5.1 for receivers that don't support Atmos, but support 5.1?

I have a six year old Onkyo receiver that decodes 5.1 via HDMI. If I get a first or second generation Apple TV 4k, will I be able to get 5.1 from Atmos with this type of set-up? I'm interested in checking out the surround options on Apple Music, but I wasn't sure if it would work in 5.1 for me.

Does anyone know if the Apple TV 4k will downmix Atmos to 5.1 for receivers that don't support Atmos, but support 5.1?

I have a six year old Onkyo receiver that decodes 5.1 via HDMI. If I get a first or second generation Apple TV 4k, will I be able to get 5.1 from Atmos with this type of set-up? I'm interested in checking out the surround options on Apple Music, but I wasn't sure if it would work in 5.1 for me.

Yes it will.

New song by SCORPIONS called PEACEMAKER from their forthcoming LP available in ATMOS on APPLE MUSIC

About time SCORPIONS have something in MULTI-CHANNEL…don’t you think❤️😁

Last edited:
Anyone know why the thread below has been closed to further posts?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ining-the-atmos-streaming-game.30499/page-101
Anyway: happy to report that I enrolled my Apple TV 4K in the "beta" program, upgraded the OS to 15.3 beta, and am playing Atmos tracks with no hitches or glitches. (And no more update nags every other minute!)
That is very odd Humph...
I would have hoped that it would have an explanation in the thread as to why.

Great news on the beta update working (y)

I understand that we have a few threads on Apple , streaming, Dolby Atmos etc...which probably need concensus on how to make it easier for members to navigate to what they are looking for...

I did flirt with the idea of having different solutions in a poll format, for folk to vote on but no idea how to set that up.

Any ideas from folk are very welcome.

Last edited:
Back