Apple TV and Apple Music apps on Windows pc in 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Microsoft today announced that desktop Apple TV and Apple Music apps will be available on Windows PCs next year, downloadable from the Microsoft Store. Early beta previews of these apps will launch on the Microsoft Store soon. Article

Will this mean we can stream lossless to a DAC and/or incorporate within JRiver? If 5.1 and Atmos streaming will become available on Windows this way would be great.

"As for the Apple Music app, it has almost all the same features available in the macOS version – except for the lyrics and Dolby Atmos."

iTunes will stop working after the Apple Music app is installed--although the article also says that Apple has plans to release a new version of iTunes, since Apple Music doesn't support podcasts or audiobooks and iTunes does. (Not clear whether you'll then be able to get both apps working on your machine.)

The biggest obstacle for me: the new app requires Windows 11, which I only have on one machine.

I'm not yet interested in Win. 11. So is this just some more Microsoft propaganda to get more folks thinking they need to upgrade to 11?
Its linked to hardware, if your PC doesn't have the security chip or on-processor security feature you can't run Windows 11. So left in the wildness with no updates once they decide to stop supporting W10. My just about 5 year old PC cannot run W11 :mad:

Its linked to hardware, if your PC doesn't have the security chip or on-processor security feature you can't run Windows 11. So left in the wildness with no updates once they decide to stop supporting W10. My just about 5 year old PC cannot run W11 :mad:
If you Google "installing windows 11 on unsupported hardware" you'll find options for putting Windows 11 on machines without the new "security" chip. (Microsoft itself even addresses the issue, although of course they make it sound like a very bad idea that you definitely shouldn't do--they won't stop you, but don't blame them if something goes sideways, blah, blah.)

If you Google "installing windows 11 on unsupported hardware" you'll find options for putting Windows 11 on machines without the new "security" chip. (Microsoft itself even addresses the issue, although of course they make it sound like a very bad idea that you definitely shouldn't do--they won't stop you, but don't blame them if something goes sideways, blah, blah.)
Thats interesting, originally there was zero mention of that option.

The version I have installed is actually the android version. You can now install android apps in Windows 11 though it takes jumping through a few hoops. It shows HiRes Lossless but no ATMOS. Also I am not sure that the app plays the hi rez files. However, the crossfade option does work. It either wasn't avaliable in the Windows preview or it didn't work. I don't remember. It does sound great through my system though.

Back