Apple TV - Atmos options?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ergalthema

I tend to avoid Apple products - I don't like being all-in with one ecosystem. I have been using all the Chromecast devices (Ultra, CC Audio, Home Speakers, etc. - I like how I can cast music to multiple devices all over the house), but it seems like apps aren't supporting casting as well as they should (glitchy behavior, sometimes not even sending DD 5.1 - HBO seems to be the worst for me). I kept hearing that Apple TV is the best-supported streaming device these days, especially for Atmos. So, I finally caved and got one. I really didn't want yet another device/remote, but here we are.

FWIW, my main system:
Samsung 65"KS8000
Sony UBP-X800
Onkyo TX-NR646 (5.1.2 - the two are on ceiling directly above seats)

For Atmos music, the options are Apple Music and Tidal, right? Any suggestions for "busy, active panning" type music I should check out first? I'm hoping the Kraftwerk 3-D Atmos is available.

I'll probably just use the free 1-month trial and cancel. I love surround music, but I don't want to devote much time to it these days. I've been listening since the early DVD-Audio days. I'd prefer to just buy Blu-rays, but things (like Kraftwerk 3-D) can be hard to find or require purchasing some huge expensive box set. So, maybe once a year or so, I'll subscribe for a month and listen to as much as possible.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Just want to be sure I understand what the options are. I don't know what I don't know, you know?

I tend to avoid Apple products - I don't like being all-in with one ecosystem. I have been using all the Chromecast devices (Ultra, CC Audio, Home Speakers, etc. - I like how I can cast music to multiple devices all over the house), but it seems like apps aren't supporting casting as well as they should (glitchy behavior, sometimes not even sending DD 5.1 - HBO seems to be the worst for me). I kept hearing that Apple TV is the best-supported streaming device these days, especially for Atmos. So, I finally caved and got one. I really didn't want yet another device/remote, but here we are.

FWIW, my main system:
Samsung 65"KS8000
Sony UBP-X800
Onkyo TX-NR646 (5.1.2 - the two are on ceiling directly above seats)

For Atmos music, the options are Apple Music and Tidal, right? Any suggestions for "busy, active panning" type music I should check out first? I'm hoping the Kraftwerk 3-D Atmos is available.

I'll probably just use the free 1-month trial and cancel. I love surround music, but I don't want to devote much time to it these days. I've been listening since the early DVD-Audio days. I'd prefer to just buy Blu-rays, but things (like Kraftwerk 3-D) can be hard to find or require purchasing some huge expensive box set. So, maybe once a year or so, I'll subscribe for a month and listen to as much as possible.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Just want to be sure I understand what the options are. I don't know what I don't know, you know?

AMAZON MUSIC has lots of Dolby Atmos tracks!

Amazon thinks that the developping cost of an App for Amazon Fire TV, to decode Atmos and play via HDMI (as it was done since the begginning for TIDAL), is not worth for the few customer subscribers like us that have a discrete speakers Home Theater at Home.

Amazon market is only for the people that "play" with Alexa, asking her to tell a Joke, and perhaps, would buy Echo Studio because they tell the music will sound all around the room.

Do they understand what spatial audio is? Maybe yes, and they know they cannot do volume business with the few people like Us. I'm afraid this is so :cry:

Any suggestions for "busy, active panning" type music I should check out first? I'm hoping the Kraftwerk 3-D Atmos is available.
On Apple Music, yes, the Kraftwerk 3-D is available in Atmos. For the busiest, activist panning imaginable, start with Yello - Point. There are many other demo-worthy tracks available too. Here are a couple others to get you started:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/point/1516690306https://music.apple.com/us/album/boom-single/1445039970https://music.apple.com/us/album/l-a-woman/1622471682https://music.apple.com/us/album/galvany-street/1584984654

I'd go for either of the Tom Petty albums - they're not ping-pongy like Yello or Booka Shade, but there are noticeable discrete elements in the height speakers (percussion, guitars, some backing vocals, etc). Same goes for nearly everything Steven Wilson has done in Atmos thus far (Porcupine Tree, Tears For Fears, Kiss, Def Leppard, etc).

Back