SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This thread should be used to list tips tricks and traps or bad things or issues that happen to your Apple TV 4k box. Anything from how to search for music to settings to make the thing play better.

No listing of new titles available etc. Too much to look through on the old threads, this might be a good place to update the box's use and problems.

press the home button on the remote twice fast ( the tv looking button) and all open programs will appear stacked and then just swipe up on each one to close them and the apple tv will run faster

https://www.businessinsider.com/17-...-quit-the-app-by-swiping-up-on-the-trackpad-9
56c34a882e526558008b7659

Apps-Running-on-Apple-TV.jpg

56c351066e97c62c008b768b

Last edited:
Closing unused applications on a modern operating system (like tvOS on the Apple TV or iOS on the iPhone) is not recommended. An unused app is basically frozen and is not eating up any ressources. And it’s always faster and more efficient to wake up a frozen app than to relaunch a closed one. (especially on a phone, operating on a battery)

And by the way, if the Apple TV really feels slow, unplug it from the power outlet, count to 10 and plug it again: it will restart the Apple TV and everything will be completely reset. No need to play with the remote, and much faster!

Audio Settings:

Dolby Atmos Playback

Settings>>Audit Format>>Auto, Atmos Available
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Dolby Atmos>>Automatic

5.1 Speaker Playback (non Atmos)

Settings>>Audit Format>>Change Format>>On
Settings>>Audit Format>>New Format>>Dolby Digital 5.1
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Dolby Atmos>>Off

Stereo Only Playback

Settings>>Audit Format>>Change Format>>On
Settings>>Audit Format>>New Format>>Stereo
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Dolby Atmos>>Off

And don't forget to enable Lossless stereo playback in the Music App
Settings>>Apps>>Music>>Audio Quality>>Lossless Audio

Let me know if you want a walk through of video settings as well.

Using an Apple 4K 2nd gen box. I have the settings tuned to operating the screen saver while using Apple Music, though it's never worked for me. But once you start playing AM, then hit the home key to go back to the app screen, the music will continue to play and the screen saver will come on. The obvious downside is you'll have to hit the AM app to go back in to change songs etc. Works well if you're just letting a playlist run though. Now that I think of it, I'm probably the last person on the planet to discover this. :unsure:

Using an Apple 4K 2nd gen box. I have the settings tuned to operating the screen saver while using Apple Music, though it's never worked for me. But once you start playing AM, then hit the home key to go back to the app screen, the music will continue to play and the screen saver will come on. The obvious downside is you'll have to hit the AM app to go back in to change songs etc. Works well if you're just letting a playlist run though. Now that I think of it, I'm probably the last person on the planet to discover this. :unsure:

If you are using the Aerial screensaver, you can get the actual location by tapping the touch surface. Nice for figuring out the nighttime space screensavers.

Aerial screen savers on your Apple TV

Would you like to find a favorite? Preview them here-

https://bzamayo.com/watch-all-the-apple-tv-aerial-video-screensavers#b2-4

Anyone still using a Logitech Harmony? There are several ways to add your Apple TV, but you can pair it via Bluetooth, if using a hub based remote.

Add a new device in the Harmony software

Mfg: Harmony Pro
Model: BT Apple TV 4

this will give you a TV button and Sleep

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv#appleTVBT
Complete the setup and create a "Watch Apple TV" activity.

Harmony and Apple TV:
  1. Using the Harmony app
  2. Select ENABLE TEXT ENTRY and select your Watch Apple TV Activity. Harmony hub is now in pairing mode.
  3. Using your Apple TV remote, select Settings > General > Bluetooth. Apple TV is now in pairing mode.

Now use the Apple remote and go to Settings>>Remotes and Devices>>Bluetooth on the Apple TV. and pair with Logitech Keyboard

There are also other Apple TV profiles in the Harmony database which trigger specific app launching from the menu based on position in the top row. 1-5

But you can also do this just as easily keeping the device profile stated above, simply by using delays and directional key commands. I have custom activities for Apple Music, Netflix, etc because some activities dim the lights (movies) and some change light color (music)

Last edited:
Ok, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this streaming thing. Be gentile. I'm an Apple virgin. I know PCs fairly well though.

First things first.
Is this the hardware I need? I remember reading threads about differences in remotes. Is the 4K unit in the link the one I want?

Amazon.com: 2021 Apple TV 4K (32GB) : Electronics

I only have 5.1 gear for now. I plan to jack the unit into an HDMI port (v1.4, I think) on my pre/pro. I expect all Atmos and 7.1 content will downmix to 5.1. The only other source I play regularly is a HTPC running Kodi. Network connection will be via ethernet.

Yes? No? Comments? Questions? Advice? Warnings?

Ok, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this streaming thing. Be gentile. I'm an Apple virgin. I know PCs fairly well though.

First things first.
Is this the hardware I need? I remember reading threads about differences in remotes. Is the 4K unit in the link the one I want?

Amazon.com: 2021 Apple TV 4K (32GB) : Electronics

I only have 5.1 gear for now. I plan to jack the unit into an HDMI port (v1.4, I think) on my pre/pro. I expect all Atmos and 7.1 content will downmix to 5.1. The only other source I play regularly is a HTPC running Kodi. Network connection will be via ethernet.

Yes? No? Comments? Questions? Advice? Warnings?

You got it. Even the older (pre-2021) 4K model will do, although a lot of people prefer the newer model's remote. I think most people here have found 32GB to suffice, too, unless you're planning to load your unit up with a ton of apps. First thing you'll want to do once you connect it and set it up is make sure to update the OS to 15.2. Have fun!

You got it. Even the older (pre-2021) 4K model will do, although a lot of people prefer the newer model's remote. I think most people here have found 32GB to suffice, too, unless you're planning to load your unit up with a ton of apps. First thing you'll want to do once you connect it and set it up is make sure to update the OS to 15.2. Have fun!
Its a done deal

Just to make sure: all Dolby Atmos 7 channel mixes will downmix to 5.1??

Yes. Dolby Atmos is auto remixed to your speaker configuration defined in your AVR by its Atmos decoder.

Atmos streaming has a 5.1 channel bed (Dolby Digital plus). Atmos delivered on Blu-ray has a 7.1 TrueHD bed.

Yes. Dolby Atmos is auto remixed to your speaker configuration defined in your AVR by its Atmos decoder.

Atmos streaming has a 5.1 channel bed (Dolby Digital plus). Atmos delivered on Blu-ray has a 7.1 TrueHD bed.
Thanks for this info. Much appreciated 👍

Does the avr have to be atmos capable or will it feed a signal to an older 5.1 receiver. Since it sounds like you're saying the mixdown is done in the receiver I'm guessing not. Thanks, K

Does the avr have to be atmos capable or will it feed a signal to an older 5.1 receiver. Since it sounds like you're saying the mixdown is done in the receiver I'm guessing not. Thanks, K

Im using Apple 4k tv downmixed to 5.1 in my Non hdmi Non Atmos old pioneer AVR thru my Oppo hdmi input out to analogs

Works fine in 5.1

Sound isnt as clear as a bluray obviously but yes works n is OK pretty damn good but a physical disc imho will always be better...but as a
supplement for sets i dont have its pretty damn impressive for streaming

Im hardwired from internet to streaming 4k box

Since it sounds like you're saying the mixdown is done in the receiver I'm guessing not.

I probably should not have mentioned 7.1 based Atmos in this thread about Apple streaming.

For streaming, a 5.1 based Atmos mix is delivered in Dolby Digital Plus. Without an Atmos decoder you’ll get 5.1. With an Atmos decoder you’ll get some sound moved to your additional Atmos speakers (if you have any), depending on the actual mix.

A good example is Elton John Rocket Man. Playing on my Atmos 5.1 vs Atmos 7.1.4 I hear a lot from the ceiling speakers with Atmos 7.1.4 system which changes the immersive feel considerably and increases the music movement sensation when the rears ‘explode’ into action during the song.

Last edited:
Im using Apple 4k tv downmixed to 5.1 in my Non hdmi Non Atmos old pioneer AVR thru my Oppo hdmi input out to analogs

Works fine in 5.1

Sound isnt as clear as a bluray obviously but yes works n is OK pretty damn good but a physical disc imho will always be better...but as a
supplement for sets i dont have its pretty damn impressive for streaming

Im hardwired from internet to streaming 4k box
This is great to hear. Thanks!

I probably should not have mentioned 7.1 based Atmos in this thread about Apple streaming.

For streaming, a 5.1 based Atmos mix is delivered in Dolby Digital Plus. Without an Atmos decoder you’ll get 5.1. With an Atmos decoder you’ll get some sound moved to your additional Atmos speakers (if you have any), depending on the actual mix.

A good example is Elton John Rocket Man. Playing on my 5.1 vs Atmos 7.1.4 I hear a lot from the ceiling speakers with Atmos which changes the immersive feel considerably.
Cheers for this 👍

Back