SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the Apple TV 4K if you don't have an Atmos receiver but it is 7.1,an extractor is the way to go. You will get 5.1 from Apple Music and 7.1 from apps such as Netflix. It all depends on the core of the Atmos. But you need the extractor between the Apple box and your receiver. But without an Atmos receiver 5.1 is the best that you are going to get from Apple Music unless they change the core in their music to 7.1. With the extractor, with Apple music, you are going to see 7.1 on your receiver but the back speakers will have nothing in them. From when I was using Tidal, their Atmos didn't even seem to have a core or had a stereo core so stereo was the best.
I have an ATV4k to an extractor to a 7.1 preamp but I have never noticed anything coming from the back surround speakers from any app. Can you suggest any specific ATV content, Netflix or other that does it for you?

I have an ATV4k to an extractor to a 7.1 preamp but I have never noticed anything coming from the back surround speakers from any app. Can you suggest any specific ATV content, Netflix or other that does it for you?
The format is delivered using Dolby MAT, with similar content as to all streaming services that use DD+ 5.1
Dolby Atmos can be delivered, but only with a base 5.1 format.
If the preamp does not receive "Dolby Atmos" from the extractor that could be processed as "Atmos" and eventually render the mix into the back surrounds of 7.1, You will get only the base 5.1 channels from the format, and no 7.1 content without any upmixing process, that could be done by your preamp processor.

I don't know if 7.1 would be possible using some player apps in the ATV4K such as VLC, etc that could decode to PCM 7.1

I thought I was getting 7.1 on Netflix for instance but maybe I was mistaken.

Last edited:
You dont see this every day... The DTS QUAD 4.0 disc ripped into a WAV file by EAC and then placed on a Qnap and played via AppleTV + VLC and decoded by a Levinson 40. Excuse the poor quality video and the quick setup in my lab of gear.

I just wondered if it was possible.

I skipped in some and then played.. It seems to play fine. No gaps between songs. Of course the file is one long song tho. No tracks.

Last edited:
Hi. I hope it's the right place to ask;
I just setup Atmos system, and tried to stream Atmos music from Apple 4ktv .
Connection Apple 4ktv>AVR>4kTV. No problem, Atmos is decoded and plays.
Apple 4ktv>AVR>small HD monitor. No Atmos.
What I am missing? My goal is not to use big tv to control the music.
thanks.

In my garage i have an old iPhone that I leave in a cradle for the exact situation. HDMI handshake will pause the song when you turn off the display but jest resume with your phone.

It looks like it needs TV connected to HDMI out of the AVR for Atmos. Doesn't like the old monitor instead of TV.
I don't have iPhone anyway.

Just to clarify: it plays, but there is no atmos. It shows 2 channels instead

Last edited:
It looks like it needs TV connected to HDMI out of the AVR for Atmos. Doesn't like the old monitor instead of TV.

Go into settings on the monitor. Does your monitor have HDCP support? If so, turn it on. Otherwise, consider using a newer smaller monitor that does.

If your phone is Android then use something like anymote app. Or buy an older iphone or ipad just as a remote; might be cheaper than getting a new small display. Dunno.

How does one control the ATV's music from an iphone without needing to look at the display? I have the ATV remote on my iphone, but there's no screen showing what's on the ATV; it just functions like the Siri remote.
Make sure, in control center (swipe from upper right) that you hit the remote control icon and pick whatever your ATV4K+ stream is called (mine is Home Theater). Then go to Apple Music, browse, pick and hit play. It should play through your AVR/prepro; mine does.

Go into settings on the monitor. Does your monitor have HDCP support? If so, turn it on. Otherwise, consider using a newer smaller monitor that does.
Thanks. Do dumb monitors have the HDCP things? I didn't know that
Anyway I connected both TV and monitor to AVR HDMI outputs. Atmos started playing properly. After that i switched HDMI input on the TV to black it out. Still fine. Finally I turned off the TV, and unhooked it completely. Now I can play Atmos audio with just the monitor connected. Have no idea why it stopped acting. I hope it stays that way.

Download the Apple Music app to your iPhone and control it from there
Make sure, in control center (swipe from upper right) that you hit the remote control icon and pick whatever your ATV4K+ stream is called (mine is Home Theater). Then go to Apple Music, browse, pick and hit play. It should play through your AVR/prepro; mine does.

Thanks. I'd tried using airplay via Apple Muisc app and only got 2.0. Then I tried the remote control by itself, which seemed useless w/o the display. Didn't think to try AM after opening the remote control. I'll give that a shot. Appreciate the info.

Download the Apple Music app to your iPhone and control it from there

Works great. Thanks!!! Great to not have to turn on my OLED to play Atmos from AM.

Back