SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna finally fire up my new home Atmos theater asap (calibrate RoomPerfect and go from there!). But I have this brain cloud, and some searching of this thread hasn't found the answer, so here goes:
* if I want to listen to Apple Music streamed Atmos music but NOT have to fire up my projector and screen (retractable), is there a way to manage my Apple Music library and pick songs/albums via a remote solution (like an iPad)? I assume airdroping to the ATV4K doesn't work cuz I need direct access for Atmos. Thx
Ted

I'm gonna finally fire up my new home Atmos theater asap (calibrate RoomPerfect and go from there!). But I have this brain cloud, and some searching of this thread hasn't found the answer, so here goes:
* if I want to listen to Apple Music streamed Atmos music but NOT have to fire up my projector and screen (retractable), is there a way to manage my Apple Music library and pick songs/albums via a remote solution (like an iPad)? I assume airdroping to the ATV4K doesn't work cuz I need direct access for Atmos. Thx
Ted
Would you consider connecting a cheap crappy little flat-screen tv via HDMI?

I think you can control it with an IPad or IPhone, I'm using a 19 inch TV with HDMI. Nice for setup purposes and graphics on discs too.

Ted
Yes, you can control the Apple TV 4K through the Apple Music app on an iPhone or iPad, without the need for a separate screen. In the app, when you select the music you want to play, just go to the Airplay icon at the bottom of the screen and select your Apple TV 4K as your player. (I just confirmed it works to be sure.)

Yes, you can control the Apple TV 4K through the Apple Music app on an iPhone or iPad, without the need for a separate screen. In the app, when you select the music you want to play, just go to the Airplay icon at the bottom of the screen and select your Apple TV 4K as your player. (I just confirmed it works to be sure.)
Coincidently, I had just spent some time researching how to control the Apple 4kTV from my MacBook. Mine is from 2016. Apparently Macbooks from 2018 and later can use the Airplay option. I'll have to try it on an iPad. I'd rather keep the TV off when playing music.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac...Receiver checkbox,stream content to this Mac.

But I don't think you can't Airplay Dolby Atmos from your Mac to the AppleTV. Just stereo 24/44.1.
Yeah, I realize that. I was looking for a method to control the Apple 4kTV unit from my Macbook Pro and be able to search through the library. I wasn't trying to Airplay from the Macbook to the Apple 4kTV device, to it. The Apple 4kTV device is input into my AVR.

You confimed that using airplay from the ipad control center remote icon plays Atmos on the ATV4K?? That's the big question I have...thx

You confimed that using airplay from the ipad control center remote icon plays Atmos on the ATV4K?? That's the big question I have...thx
Technically, I controlled Airplay from within the Apple Music app on my iPhone. When I selected an Atmos track in the app, at the bottom of the screen there is the Airplay button and I was able to select my Apple TV 4K from there, and the Atmos version of the track streamed through my setup. But I think the concept is the same whether you control it from within the Music app itself, or from the control center.

I will say it behaved a bit buggy, a few false starts and getting hung up in pause mode, or the app thinking there was a conflict with trying to play 2 tracks at once, so you may have to fuss with it at first until you get the hang of what settings and what button clicks actually work. So it's not perfect but it does work.

Whenever I select a new track, playback always starts a second or so into the song. I always have to scroll back to the top of the screen to the 0:00 indicator and restart the song. Sequential songs in the album start normally. I thought I saw someone else here with a similar issue, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Whenever I select a new track, playback always starts a second or so into the song. I always have to scroll back to the top of the screen to the 0:00 indicator and restart the song. Sequential songs in the album start normally. I thought I saw someone else here with a similar issue, but I couldn't find it in a search.

Usually caused by your receiver locking into to a new stream type. Like switching to Dolby Atmos, or back to PCM.

Ok; downloaded Gdansk, &

Downloaded Gdansk, & Pompeii, this morning
It's NOT reading 5.1; its 2.0 DD
what's up with that?
They are both still available in Dolby Audio. Need a little information about your setup/settings.

You said you downloaded them, is this on a Mac? There is a setting in the Music app as to whether or not to download Atmos (that setting would need to be on in order to download Dolby Audio.

If it is on an AppleTV then you meant that you streamed them, and again, need to check settings and make sure you don't have it set to convert everything to Dolby Digital which could explain what you are seeing it should send 5.1 PCM to your AVR, never Dolby Digital unless you have that setting turned on. Could be other settings issues.

They are both still available in Dolby Audio. Need a little information about your setup/settings.

You said you downloaded them, is this on a Mac? There is a setting in the Music app as to whether or not to download Atmos (that setting would need to be on in order to download Dolby Audio.

If it is on an AppleTV then you meant that you streamed them, and again, need to check settings and make sure you don't have it set to convert everything to Dolby Digital which could explain what you are seeing it should send 5.1 PCM to your AVR, never Dolby Digital unless you have that setting turned on. Could be other settings issues.
its DD, but 2.0, not 5.1/Apple TV/Sonos Arc/Sony XR-77A80J/EArc
H E L P!

its DD, but 2.0, not 5.1/Apple TV/Sonos Arc/Sony XR-77A80J/EArc
H E L P!

Go to AppleTV Settings -> Video and Audio -> Audio Format. Make sure Change Format is "Off" and "Dolby Atmos" is On.

I have no idea what the Sonos Arc -> Sony -> eArc are going to do, but it doesn't seem like a chain that can pass through 5.1 PCM audio so you may be out of luck, I really don't know those devices.

I see that a few here are downloading the mixes. If I may ask, since these are available quite easily for streaming, why download. I realize that some of these may be here today and gone tomorrow, so that is one good reason. Others?
I've tried using the download option on Apple Music and resulted in a .pkg file. 🤷
Is there a method to convert these into FLACs?

Go to AppleTV Settings -> Video and Audio -> Audio Format. Make sure Change Format is "Off" and "Dolby Atmos" is On.

I have no idea what the Sonos Arc -> Sony -> eArc are going to do, but it doesn't seem like a chain that can pass through 5.1 PCM audio so you may be out of luck, I really don't know those devices.
its always atmos; no luck

Back