SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not without pressing the "Info" button on my AVR's remote, no.

I found it convenient to have the Amos logo display on-screen as a track played, in part because some albums--and many playlists--contain a mix of Atmos and non-Atmos tracks, and I use the DSU for stereo playback. If I happened to be underwhelmed by a given track's mix, then glancing at the screen and looking for the Atmos logo let me quickly verify whether to attribute my lack of enthusiasm to an upmix or to an unimpressive Atmos mix. But it's really just a personal preference, not worth arguing about. It's just that if they were going to go to all the trouble of making changes to the Apple Music for Apple TV display, then there are so many changes they could have made for the better. . . .
What brand and model is your AVR? On my Denon AVC 3800 DD Atmos and the source name is displayed when a Atmos track is played.

How to enable betas, I see no ‘Get Beta Updates’ in the menu on my ATV 4K.
Interesting! I have the option on all the Apple TVs in the house except the latest one (Nov 22). I don’t remember enrolling in a beta program but I did register most of the current devices with Apple as a fault when the one channel issue was happening about 2 years ago. 3 three 4 K models here are 2018,20,22. There are also 4 Apple TV HD’s. Mostly I have the Beta Updates turned off. Sometimes it just pops up as an option after you leave it sitting for a while.

i updated to the 16.3 Beta last night but haven't had a chance to play around with it yet, what am i supposed to be looking/listening out for?
i don't know any of these Atmos mixes like i do some of the old Quads and 5.1's (some of which i could probably pick out differences in my sleep 😂 ) but i know my Elton and flicking through the Diamonds tracks it feels like something has changed! 🥳

whatever's happened (?) its for the better, different parts seemed clearer and eaiser to pick out on the Bitch Is Back and all those cool little backgroundy bits on Island Girl. somehow the overall sound is fuller on Are You Ready For Love and there's less splashy treble and compression type noises especially on the Height stuff in Part Time Love, which just sound nicer generally and all those extra woodwindy and horny bits make me horny baby YEAH!!! ❤️🥰🤠💘✌️🥳🤩😅

maybe they upped the bitrate or changed compression levels on the extra channels or something?

interesting.. 🤔 anyway, the sound quality seems more Hi-Fi and less MP3 to me now if that makes any sense? 💡😋

i don't know any of these Atmos mixes like i do some of the old Quads and 5.1's (some of which i could probably pick out differences in my sleep 😂 ) but i know my Elton and flicking through the Diamonds tracks it feels like something has changed! 🥳

whatever's happened (?) its for the better, different parts seemed clearer and eaiser to pick out on the Bitch Is Back and all those cool little backgroundy bits on Island Girl. somehow the overall sound is fuller on Are You Ready For Love and there's less splashy treble and compression type noises especially on the Height stuff in Part Time Love, which just sound nicer generally and all those extra woodwindy and horny bits make me horny baby YEAH!!! ❤️🥰🤠💘✌️🥳🤩😅

maybe they upped the bitrate or changed compression levels on the extra channels or something?

interesting.. 🤔 anyway, the sound quality seems more Hi-Fi and less MP3 to me now if that makes any sense? 💡😋
How did you get the 16.3 Beta?

Holy crap. The power went out and I heard a loud boom during the middle of the update to the Beta! I contacted Duke Energy and I won't have power for four hours. Hopefully my new (to me) Apple TV doesn't get bricked! I think one of those green electric boxes outside exploded. I am going to blame Apple😉

Holy crap. The power went out and I heard a loud boom during the middle of the update to the Beta! I contacted Duke Energy and I won't have power for four hours. Hopefully my new (to me) Apple TV doesn't get bricked! I think one of those green electric boxes outside exploded. I am going to blame Apple😉
oh f**k!! 😫🙁 hopefully you get your power back soon and your gear will be ok!! 🤞🤞

I tried Googling what were the features of the 16.3 TVOS beta but didn’t find much.

I’ve been playing around with ‘ChatGPT’ from ‘OpenAI.com’, which gave a detailed description. I posted it here but removed it when I noticed the dates were wrong. It quoted 14 Dec 2021. ’ChatGPT’ is not supposed to be live on the Internet, but is supposed to be limited to test data prior to the end of 2021. They warn results may not be accurate. Dolby Atmos wasn’t mentioned.

I initially had the same reaction as ‘Fredblue’, but with all the cicada interference, a few glasses of wine etc I couldn’t be sure. I was waiting to AB it to my Hi-Res files, where there is normally a big difference. It’s cloudy today, so hopefully, the cicadas shut up and I can try again. (not so far...!!!)

Last edited:
i have the 4ktv box, used mainly for ATMOS music and movies

Since Brian Enos's new release is in ATMOS i have tried to use the box for that

The Odd thing is that when i search for Brian Eno on the the box, the progress dots just keep spinning.It can go for hours never finding anything

Its been that way for many weeks, and i just learned that others are finding the same on their box

The good news is that i can use my IPAD to control the box, and search and find all the Eno releases and the ATMOS

So i got to hear the new Eno in ATMOS

But that error on the box troubles my OCD a bit

I've found (ATV 4k 2nd gen) this to be one of the buggiest pieces Apple has made in recent years, but maybe that's just me. I got burnt on a couple of beta releases so I withdrew from the program. Anyway, I notice after 16.2 was installed a few weeks ago that the screen saver seems to be working right from Apple Music, without going back to the 'home' screen first. This working for anyone else?

For anal-retentives like me who are frustrated by Apple Music's "Recently Added" list (which actually only visibly retains the last--I donno, 50 or so?--items added) and/or who find scrolling through your library by Artist or Album Title to be kludgy and inefficient, here's a trick that involves opening iTunes or Apple Music on a desktop or laptop computer. (There may be a way to do it on a smartphone, too, but I'm not smartphone-proficient, and I much prefer using a keyboard.)
  1. In iTunes on Windows or Apple Music on Mac, start by creating not a new Playlist, but rather a new Playlist Folder. (You can give this folder whatever name you want. In iTunes, IIRC, you can initiate the process by rightclicking on "Playlists"; in Apple Music, it's File>New>Playlist Folder.)
  2. Now search for an album you want to add to your folder and open it as if you were going to play it. Using the circle with 3 dots on the righthand side, select Add to Playlist>New Playlist. The display view then changes, effectively turning the current album into a playlist (and allowing you to edit the title of that playlist if you choose to--e.g., by adding the artist name before the album title).
  3. Meanwhile, in the lefthand column, that new album playlist will have appeared alphabetically in your list of "All Playlists." From there you can drag it into the Playlist Folder that you created a minute ago.
  4. Click the arrow next to the Playlist Folder to "open" it and view its contents--namely, whatever album or other playlists you've dragged there.
This method makes it a lot easier (for me, anyway) to group, organize, track, and view-at-a-glance what's in my library.

Back