SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa--that's a significant development! I may have to reactivate my "Unlimited" description and check it out. Will they allow 360 RA to play over Fire Stick and Cube, too, I wonder (as long as you have one of the rare MPEG-H capable AVRs)?
I asked the question about 360 on AVS but no reply. There aren't many receivers, as you know, with 360 support, so it might be a while before someone answers the question.

4. 10db volume drop-off- fixed
Nvidia's Shield devices (running custom Android TV firmware) offer a solution: reducing PCM volume systemwide to match Dolby reference level. It works, although you do have to turn up the volume of your playback system (AVR, headphone amp, or whatever) every time you switch to the Shield from any other source in your system—and don't forget to reduce it again when switching back! It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than +/-10-20dB swings in playback volume within the same device/app.

I know, massive derail. Sorry about that.

Here are some tips for my transgression... I think I shared a few before but I found a few more

If you need to reboot your ATV, hold the Back and TV buttons on the Gen2, or Home and TV on Gen1. Works from Harmony, ONLY if you are bluetooth paired

If you missed some dialog in a movie or show- Press the microphone and "What did he just say?" It will rewind about 10 secs and temporarily turn on closed captioning. You can also say "Who stars in this?"or "What should I watch?"

Menu button- double click to start the screensaver, triple click to get accessibility functions

Press the play/Pause button to shift when typing passwords or searches

If you are using a bluetooth keyboard, function keys have uses:

F3 App Switcher
F4 Home
F7 Rewind
F8 Play/Pause (also spacebar)
F9 Fast forward
F11 Volume down
F12 Volume up

You may be right if we are talking about your wallet or mine, but you're not putting it in the proper perspective...

Apple reports first quarter results

The Company posted quarterly revenue of $117.2 billion...

More perspective: We are talking about a few hundred albums at 2-3x the size, in a catalog of 10 million albums.

Any way you cut it, its still a rounding error, any way you parse it....
Thanks for the tips. I don't use my Apple TV4K remote or a bluetooth keyboard, but I'm sure many do. I use a (gasp!) Harmony IR remote.

I love my Harmony, but I use the Apple TV4K remote for controlling the Apple TV4K.
I don't know about later generations, but I found the remote for my 1st generation TV4K a little tricky to use. Plus, I like having one remote to rule them all, even though I have to use a Fire Stick 4K remote in the same system. I'm just glad the TV4K responds to IR.

Here are some tips for my transgression... I think I shared a few before but I found a few more

If you need to reboot your ATV, hold the Back and TV buttons on the Gen2, or Home and TV on Gen1. Works from Harmony, ONLY if you are bluetooth paired

If you missed some dialog in a movie or show- Press the microphone and "What did he just say?" It will rewind about 10 secs and temporarily turn on closed captioning. You can also say "Who stars in this?"or "What should I watch?"

Menu button- double click to start the screensaver, triple click to get accessibility functions

F3 App Switcher
F4 Home
F7 Rewind
F9 Fast forward
F11 Volume down
F12 Volume up

You may be right if we are talking about your wallet or mine, but you're not putting it in the proper perspective...

More perspective: We are talking about a few hundred albums at 2-3x the size, in a catalog of 10 million albums.

Do you or anyone use a Harmony Hub? When I click on a new Activity, the ATV goes into sleep mode. Does this happen to everyone? I have checked the ATV device power settings on the hub and none of them seem to curb that behavior. I am forced to use two remotes if I want to watch something on the ATV, and listen to music on another source. All my other devices have no issues staying on when I choose another Activity.

I don't know about later generations, but I found the remote for my 1st generation TV4K a little tricky to use. Plus, I like having one remote to rule them all, even though I have to use a Fire Stick 4K remote in the same system. I'm just glad the TV4K responds to IR.
I use the Apple TV4K remote for volume on the AVC and muting, the Harmony is mostly for turning the setup on and off.

Do you or anyone use a Harmony Hub? When I click on a new Activity, the ATV goes into sleep mode. Does this happen to everyone? I have checked the ATV device power settings on the hub and none of them seem to curb that behavior. I am forced to use two remotes if I want to watch something on the ATV, and listen to music on another source. All my other devices have no issues staying on when I choose another Activity.
I use a Harmony Hub with my Harmony Elite, but I haven't encountered that the ATV go into sleep mode when clicking on a new Activity.

I use a Harmony Hub with my Harmony Elite, but I haven't encountered that the ATV go into sleep mode when clicking on a new Activity.
I tried some universal remotes back in the day but it always seemed there was some operation missing that I'd still have to get the dedicated remote out to do. In the end I just gave up and play remote roulette with the half dozen or more on the table. LOL

If you missed some dialog in a movie or show-

F3 App Switcher
F4 Home
F7 Rewind
F9 Fast forward
F11 Volume down
F12 Volume up

I don’t have the ability to Press the microphone and "What did he just say?" It will rewind about 10 secs and temporarily turn on closed captioning. You can also say "Who stars in this?"or "What should I watch?"

I have the 2nd and 3rd generation remotes

I tried some universal remotes back in the day but it always seemed there was some operation missing that I'd still have to get the dedicated remote out to do. In the end I just gave up and play remote roulette with the half dozen or more on the table. LOL
I've used universal remotes for about 20 years, various Harmony's for the last 10. It's been very few commands in later years that haven't been in the database. It's also easy to use a existing control to learn the Harmony. I bought a 4K HDMI switch last year of a to me unknown brand, but it was there.
Now I have 2 Harmony Elite, one in the living room an the other in my music/movies room with a Harmony Hub.

Bluetooth or IR? IR goes to home screen and I lose some keyboard commands. Bluetooth goes into sleep mode unless I use another remote and quickly push the "down" button. Either way, I have to use two remotes when I select a different Activity, and I still want to stay on the ATV.

Thanks for the tips. I don't use my Apple TV4K remote or a bluetooth keyboard, but I'm sure many do. I use a (gasp!) Harmony IR remote.
It depends on how you have it set up. Adjust the power off when switching activity. Then it will stay on.

It depends on how you have it set up. Adjust the power off when switching activity. Then it will stay on.
Haha. That is the first thing I tried. I have owned various Harmony remotes for a couple decades. This is the only device that doesn't stay on as expected.

My Harmony IR remote controls the ATV and most other components in the system well, but if I try to switch from ATV with AVR on to TV with AVR off, the CEC, or whatever it's called, in the ATV tends to get persnickety and try to turn the AVR back on, etc. I've tried to disable all settings in the ATV that could conceivably cause this, to no avail. I simply switch to another activity in between now, and it's not a problem.

Back