SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody having trouble with their Apple TV 4K cutting out and flickering the TV every 2-20 minutes? Just started in the last 2 weeks. It’s hooked up to a new Samsung TV via Marantz Cimema 60. Waiting for a new fancy HDMI cable to be delivered. Tried switching it with another to no avail. The marantz plays everything else perfectly - Fire stick, turntable, blu ray player. I’ve messed with the setting of the marantz, tv and Apple box but nothing works.
Not a problem I've seen. After checking the connections, swapping out the HDMI cable would be the first thing I'd check, too. More than once in the year-plus I've owned it, I've noticed glitchy behavior from my ATV4K, only to have it disappear after updating the OS. See if there's an update waiting to be downloaded & installed?

Also: welcome to QQ!

Not a problem I've seen. After checking the connections, swapping out the HDMI cable would be the first thing I'd check, too. More than once in the year-plus I've owned it, I've noticed glitchy behavior from my ATV4K, only to have it disappear after updating the OS. See if there's an update waiting to be downloaded & installed?

Also: welcome to QQ!
Just got the cable and plugged it in. Ran the hdmi cable check on the Apple TV and it literally said something like “your hdmi connection is looking better, we’ll keep you posted if we notice anything wrong”. Been digging glitchless atmos for the last 20 minutes or so. So far, so good! Thanks for the suggestions and warm welcome. Been lurking here for years and love all the atmos album updates.

I guess this would qualify as a "TRAP".

Does anyone else used the Computers app to play back music through Home Sharing?

I've found that in tvOS 16.4, if you pause a song and press back/menu or just press back/menu to get to the screen where the artwork for the previous and upcoming tracks are displayed horizontally, you can no longer navigate at all. The arrow buttons don't highlight anything and back/menu does not take you up a level to the playlist.

I end up having reboot the AppleTV to select a different playlist or album to listen to.

If anyone else if having the problem, could you please report a bug in the Feedback app? I have a feeling this will ever get locked at again as the Computers app seems to be slowly bitrotting from lack of attention.
IMG_1949.jpeg

Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread previously, but I don’t have the time to check through it for an answer.

I was wondering, can you output Atmos (or in my case, downmixed to 5.1) from the Apple TV’s HDMI out into a TV’s HDMI input, and output that via optical to an older AV receiver? Has anyone tried this?

Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread previously, but I don’t have the time to check through it for an answer.

I was wondering, can you output Atmos (or in my case, downmixed to 5.1) from the Apple TV’s HDMI out into a TV’s HDMI input, and output that via optical to an older AV receiver? Has anyone tried this?

Yes. I am doing this in my lounge room that has a 5.1 set-up and a 10 year okd Denon receiver.

I think the AVR needs to be ATMOS capable in order to downmix it to 5.1 otherwise just stereo data is passed. Someone here more knowledgeable can verify that.

I don't think so, because there's nothing Atmos-y being output over SPDIF. It'd likely be the Apple doing the downmix.
I think you are right as I’m able to get 5.1 from Apple Music using my laptop via HDMI straight into the receiver. I’m going to be getting an AppleTV but I realized that I can’t plug it directly into my receiver as I’m not using the HDMI out so I would just be passing the audio and would not be able to see what I’m doing. Optical seems like the only viable option for my setup.

Yes. I’m doing it into a 20+ year old Yamaha receiver, converting the HDMI out to optical digital

I think you are right as I’m able to get 5.1 from Apple Music using my laptop via HDMI straight into the receiver. I’m going to be getting an AppleTV but I realized that I can’t plug it directly into my receiver as I’m not using the HDMI out so I would just be passing the audio and would not be able to see what I’m doing. Optical seems like the only viable option for my setup.
I was using Apple 4k tv streaming box into my oppo HDMI input. But just finally found a 5.1/7.1 HDMI extractor to analog for $60 that is working ok. Had about a week so far ok
Bought on Amazon
Prior non working was returned
Brand that works is Heayzoki

Just wanted to decrease my use of oppo cuz want it to last as long as possible. Less use of oppo n more use of other sources... gonna reconnect one of Sony's to use as transport again.
Did you do an A B comparison of the digital conversion before changing? I’ve been using one of these breakout converter boxes for maybe 15 years. Just waiting until I can afford a decent atmos pre-pro or maybe one of the new minidsp breakout boxes on the way.

Thought I’d share my experience with virgin Apple TV 4K hookup yesterday. (Couldn’t wait for Santa). I have a Yamaha pre-Atmos AVR hooked up 7.2. No, I hadn’t read thru this entire thread but did start with initial recommendations on this thread to change Audio settings from Atmos to 5.1, etc. for non-Atmos receiver. Nothing came out of the surround speakers. Resetting Audio settings back to Dolby Atmos and voila, surround! Nothing to rear most surround speakers, tho. Weird. So it’s 5.2 for now. Wet my whistle on Who’s Next, Revolver, Beatles Red/ Blue and happy to find a few other titles not available on hard media (Pearl Jam, Tattoo You) of which I was unaware. I have the start up glitch on playback (software update needed). But overall pleased. Nice to have all my CD collection show up from the cloud as well. Now, the big question. Do I drop $1200 to upgrade my non-HDMI receiver upstairs? Any comments or suggestions welcome.

With the Apple TV 4K if you don't have an Atmos receiver but it is 7.1,an extractor is the way to go. You will get 5.1 from Apple Music and 7.1 from apps such as Netflix. It all depends on the core of the Atmos. But you need the extractor between the Apple box and your receiver. But without an Atmos receiver 5.1 is the best that you are going to get from Apple Music unless they change the core in their music to 7.1. With the extractor, with Apple music, you are going to see 7.1 on your receiver but the back speakers will have nothing in them. From when I was using Tidal, their Atmos didn't even seem to have a core or had a stereo core so stereo was the best.

Last edited:
Yes. I’m doing it into a 20+ year old Yamaha receiver, converting the HDMI out to optical digital
So you and woody are getting 5.1 optical out from your TVs??? That’s a game changer for my upstairs receiver that has no HDMI.
Yes. I am doing this in my lounge room that has a 5.1 set-up and a 10 year okd Denon receiver.
So I tried using optical out from TV to older receiver with no HDMI. Just getting stereo, no 5.1.

With the Apple TV 4K if you don't have an Atmos receiver but it is 7.1,an extractor is the way to go. You will get 5.1 from Apple Music and 7.1 from apps such as Netflix. It all depends on the core of the Atmos. But you need the extractor between the Apple box and your receiver. But without an Atmos receiver 5.1 is the best that you are going to get from Apple Music unless they change the core in their music to 7.1. With the extractor, with Apple music, you are going to see 7.1 on your receiver but the back speakers will have nothing in them. From when I was using Tidal, their Atmos didn't even seem to have a core or had a stereo core so stereo was the best.
Got the extractor today. Got 5.1 thru optical. Thanks for the rec, Guy!

Back