SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so fast, my friend.

Let the record show that the first like for this post came from the guy who, when setting up his new box that is the topic of this thread & got confused, did not post in this thread.

Instead, he posted in the Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple thread, where some folks tried to help him out while I gave him a hard time. 😜

Some people are just confused and looking for answers. 🤔

Your example is Apple computer owners questioning if it's mandatory to buy one of these boxes just to try listening to Apple Music in surround to see what the excitement is all about.

Folks who already bought Apple TV then assert that's the only way.
Correct as far as full-blown Atmos goes.
However one can in fact "play the Atmos tracks" downmixed to 5.1 without it, so I replied and directed him to another thread with details.

Then a week later comes another well-intentioned post:

Missed it, then. It happens.

OK.

Not in my experience.
Hence a reply from me, and a couple of confirming follow-ups.

Sorry if you feel that's degraded the integrity of a thread with 120 posts, not all of which are laser-focused on point.
This place is never going to be perfect.

Maybe we can cut each other some slack.
Except for @GOS . I'm at the end of my rope with that guy. 🤣😂🤣

One man's opinion, agree or disagree.

I wasn't trying to be that guy, but so many ATV discussions popped up in other places that it made sense to build an area for troubleshooting and setup.

For the record, I'm a huge Mac fan, but the Mac convo is so far from AppleTV, just like one might say 5.1 downmixed Atmos isn't really Atmos? LOL. I mean, I know 5.1 downmixed to stereo isn't really 5.1.... just sayin'

But my point is the tips, the features, the issues are all different between the two platforms. For many people, AppleTV is their first Apple device. It's easy to get lost between Mac and ATV issues.

I seriously want us to have both! And I'd love to convince more people to call support / submit feedback on issues so we can get some of the lingering issues addressed.

I use the apple music app on my phone, click the + button to add to my library, then find them on the ATV4K thing.
OK, so I suppose this should be over in the Apple TV tips thread but since @popshop brought it up I need to ask: when one clicks the "+" button it downloads the album (adds it to library). Where? I do not want loads of Atmos stuff (or even the stereo counterpart) loaded on my phone, I don't have the room for it. When you guys (@humprof is perfect example) list dozens and dozens of great Atmos choices where is this now-massive-ever-growing-library being stored? I'd just as soon make them some sort of favorites, not local downloads. Sorry for the newbie question (I still don't have ATV4k+ or any of the 7.1.4 system installed yet; long story).

The short answer is that it's stored in the cloud, unless you deliberately download something onto your phone for offline listening. Your "library" is a metaphorical library--actually just a (very badly organized) online card catalog or, as you put it, a list of favorites. After you click that "+" button, whatever you've just added will show up most immediately on the "Recently Added" tab of your app.
Thanks..but I hit the plus sign on my phone for the Sheryl Crow soundtrack (for example), and it downloaded. Where? Well I turned on airplane mode just now and it plays on my phone, so it's local. I don't want it local, nor need it local. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks..but I hit the plus sign on my phone for the Sheryl Crow soundtrack (for example), and it downloaded. Where? Well I turned on airplane mode just now and it plays on my phone, so it's local. I don't want it local, nor need it local. What am I doing wrong?

Hm. I'll defer to someone who regularly uses the phone app. (I only use iTunes and the web app for PC, plus the ATV4K.) It's got to be an Apple Music app setting, though--it doesn't seem like it should be downloading files for offline listening by default.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204839https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/add-music-and-listen-offline-iph0cff2d191/iosI would go to Settings > Music and make sure "Automatic Downloads" is turned off.

An excellent question!

When you hit the “+”, it gets added to your library, which is in effect a master list in your account. The files are not downloaded to your phone, unless you have set up automatic downloads in Settings -> Music ->

+ just adds it to your library folder so it's easier to find later. After clicking + the icon turns into a down arrow icon. ⬇️
That is how you download it to your device, which I understand you don't want to do.
I download some stuff in case the internet isn't available 😉

OK, so I suppose this should be over in the Apple TV tips thread but since @popshop brought it up I need to ask: when one clicks the "+" button it downloads the album (adds it to library). Where? I do not want loads of Atmos stuff (or even the stereo counterpart) loaded on my phone, I don't have the room for it. When you guys (@humprof is perfect example) list dozens and dozens of great Atmos choices where is this now-massive-ever-growing-library being stored? I'd just as soon make them some sort of favorites, not local downloads. Sorry for the newbie question (I still don't have ATV4k+ or any of the 7.1.4 system installed yet; long story).

Apple TV - how to disable CEC using a hardware dongle
I recently bought an Apple TV 4k with the plan of using it just to play Apple Music and Tidal. At once it started messing with CEC. I got the ATV attached to a fairly new Yamaha receiver (RX-A 2080) that are supporting 4k, CEC and eARC. I have a lot of HDMI devices connected to the receiver (2 PCs, PS5, Amazon Firestick 4k, Blu-ray player and an LG smart TV), but have never had any problems with CEC until I connected the ATV. It will not let me choose it as a source(!), it won't shut down and switches on the TV after it's been turned off and so on. Switching cables and resetting CEC does not help. Turning off CEC in the Apple TV's meny does not help. The Yamaha allows for turning off CEC for each HDMI input. This does not help either. The only thing helping is turning off the CEC totally for all units.

Since I am quite happy with CEC (other than Apple's implementation of it) I looked for another solution. I found a small device from a company called Lindy that disconnects pin 13 in the HDMI connection. Pin 13 is the one used for CEC. In other words it is not possible for a unit connected via this dongle to mess up the CEC. I attached this cheap piece of hardware and now finally the Apple TV and the rest of the setup is working well. The only penalty is that I have to adjust the listening level from another remote. I do that happily. :D You can find the Lindy device e.g. on Amazon for $23,50. Highly recommended!

lindy_dongle.jpg

Apple TV - how to disable CEC using a hardware dongle
I recently bought an Apple TV 4k with the plan of using it just to play Apple Music and Tidal. At once it started messing with CEC. I got the ATV attached to a fairly new Yamaha receiver (RX-A 2080) that are supporting 4k, CEC and eARC. I have a lot of HDMI devices connected to the receiver (2 PCs, PS5, Amazon Firestick 4k, Blu-ray player and an LG smart TV), but have never had any problems with CEC until I connected the ATV. It will not let me choose it as a source(!), it won't shut down and switches on the TV after it's been turned off and so on. Switching cables and resetting CEC does not help. Turning off CEC in the Apple TV's meny does not help. The Yamaha allows for turning off CEC for each HDMI input. This does not help either. The only thing helping is turning off the CEC totally for all units.

Since I am quite happy with CEC (other than Apple's implementation of it) I looked for another solution. I found a small device from a company called Lindy that disconnects pin 13 in the HDMI connection. Pin 13 is the one used for CEC. In other words it is not possible for a unit connected via this dongle to mess up the CEC. I attached this cheap piece of hardware and now finally the Apple TV and the rest of the setup is working well. The only penalty is that I have to adjust the listening level from another remote. I do that happily. :D You can find the Lindy device e.g. on Amazon for $23,50. Highly recommended!

View attachment 79920
Thanks for posting this. I thought I was losing my mind! You would think Apple would have fixed this by now! It’s maddening. The only thing that works is to unplug the Apple TV from power. It behaves well for a few days and then it starts to turn my LG and Marantz back on un commanded. I’ll have to check out the hdmi adaptor

Anyone having issues with Dolby Atmos/Dolby Audio on Apple Music with the ATV 4K second gen? Volume has dropped WAY off for me, like 8-10db, but stereo is fine. Running 16.0, but installed that a ways back and everything was fine till tonight.

Anyone having issues with Dolby Atmos/Dolby Audio on Apple Music with the ATV 4K second gen? Volume has dropped WAY off for me, like 8-10db, but stereo is fine. Running 16.0, but installed that a ways back and everything was fine till tonight.

There was a report on the listening thread this morning about that same problem after an update to tvOS 16.

WOW

i honestly thought my hearing was going when i experienced this

Has this been solved yet?

Back