SPOTLIGHT Apple TV4k TIPS, TRICKS and TRAPS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that, unfortunately no.:(
Every time someone has an issue and someone else confirms the issue, I will ask one simple question...

Have you submitted feedback?

Everyone running tvOS 16- Please submit feedback on this ASAP.

Like Smokey the Bear says "Only you can prevent bugs from shipping"

That's not what he said, but if he were a talking bear that was into streaming multichannel Atmos and testing ATV running tvOS 16 beta...

Then I'm pretty sure he would have said it.

Every time someone has an issue and someone else confirms the issue, I will ask one simple question...

Have you submitted feedback?

Everyone running tvOS 16- Please submit feedback on this ASAP.

Like Smokey the Bear says "Only you can prevent bugs from shipping"

That's not what he said, but if he were a talking bear that was into streaming multichannel Atmos and testing ATV running tvOS 16 beta...

Then I'm pretty sure he would have said it.
Feedback was submitted to Apple. Sure appears that the culprit is beta 16.0, hopefully fixed by the time it goes public. Think I’ll turn off beta updates, don’t believe I can back up to 15.6 with an ATV 4K. Anyway, I wouldn’t recommend installing 16.0 beta from my experience.

Feedback was submitted to Apple. Sure appears that the culprit is beta 16.0, hopefully fixed by the time it goes public. Think I’ll turn off beta updates, don’t believe I can back up to 15.6 with an ATV 4K. Anyway, I wouldn’t recommend installing 16.0 beta from my experience.
Thank you! I did the same.

And everyone else seeing this issue, PLEASE do the same. Lots of feedback is the key to getting things fixed and it doesn't take long.

Feedback is a lot like voting. You can't complain about the result if you didn't do your part.

Also, don't turn off the betas, as it will likely be fixed... in a beta, lol.

Anyone having issues with Dolby Atmos/Dolby Audio on Apple Music with the ATV 4K second gen? Volume has dropped WAY off for me, like 8-10db, but stereo is fine. Running 16.0, but installed that a ways back and everything was fine till tonight.
I wonder if it's related to this:
https://themasteringshow.com/episode-84/
(I still haven't updated to tvOS 16.)

I wonder if it's related to this:
https://themasteringshow.com/episode-84/
(I still haven't updated to tvOS 16.)

Maybe. But my guess is that they noticed they forgot to implement dialog normalization, figured it would be a good thing, didn't test, and now have the same problem Tidal has had. Best is for people to complain loudly that whatever they are doing isn't working for Atmos any more.

I've avoided updating to tvOS 16 release version and the box continues to nag to be updated. Is this sound level issue with Atmos tracks still an issue, or has it been rectified in the release version? I noticed the last post on the subject was a while back.
I'm waiting too, I went from Tidal to Apple music to get rid of the sound level issues. I don't want that back again. :confused:

I've avoided updating to tvOS 16 release version and the box continues to nag to be updated. Is this sound level issue with Atmos tracks still an issue, or has it been rectified in the release version? I noticed the last post on the subject was a while back.
I think you are confused - tvOS 16 is in public beta 2, not release.

I believe the current official release is 15.6

My apologies. I was confused with the ‘6’ designation As per this on 20July Apple releases tvOS 15.6 and HomePod Software 15.6 . I currently have 15.5.1. So I assume, on past experience, that if I push the update box it will only update to 15.6 not the beta 16.0 that is causing the problems. I’m just keen to avoid the two month drama with last years OS update. I would expect the official release OS of the new operating system 16.0 won’t be until September with the release of new devices?

Follow up: I upgraded to 15.6. Everything seems OK as you would expect. I ran the update again and it’s happy with 15.6.

Last edited:
My apologies. I was confused with the ‘6’ designation As per this on 20July Apple releases tvOS 15.6 and HomePod Software 15.6 . I currently have 15.5.1. So I assume, on past experience, that if I push the update box it will only update to 15.6 not the beta 16.0 that is causing the problems. I’m just keen to avoid the two month drama with last years OS update. I would expect the official release OS of the new operating system 16.0 won’t be until September with the release of new devices?

Follow up: I upgraded to 15.6. Everything seems OK as you would expect. I ran the update again and it’s happy with 15.6.
That’s good
It’s indeed unlikely that 16 will be released before September

Here's something I just figured out.
Thanks to @sjcorne for the suggestion to make a Private Playlist called something like 'Atmos Demo'

I wanted a separate Playlist just for whole albums that I feel are mixed really well (to my liking of course) and that don't have any kind of previous physical release.

I'm using Google Chrome on a Win. 10 machine and wanted to add these albums, but it doesn't give me that option in the 3 dot drop down selection to add to the new Playlist. So, I figured out I can just grab it with )left click with mouse and hold and drag) and copy it over to the Left pane 'Atmos Demo' Playlist.

I've only got four in there so far (lots more yet to consider):

"A Beautiful Time - Willie Nelson"
"12th of June - Lyle Lovett"
"The Painter - William Orbit"
"1940 Carmen - Mon Laferte"

APPLE WIN. DRAG N DROP TO PLAYLIST.jpg

Here's something I just figured out.
Thanks to @sjcorne for the suggestion to make a Private Playlist called something like 'Atmos Demo'

I wanted a separate Playlist just for whole albums that I feel are mixed really well (to my liking of course) and that don't have any kind of previous physical release.

I'm using Google Chrome on a Win. 10 machine and wanted to add these albums, but it doesn't give me that option in the 3 dot drop down selection to add to the new Playlist. So, I figured out I can just grab it with )left click with mouse and hold and drag) and copy it over to the Left pane 'Atmos Demo' Playlist.

I've only got four in there so far (lots more yet to consider):

"A Beautiful Time - Willie Nelson"
"12th of June - Lyle Lovett"
"The Painter - William Orbit"
"1940 Carmen - Mon Laferte"

View attachment 83421

Pup, that's great to know! This also effectively allows you to group albums into categories of your choosing, with playlists serving as ersatz "folders." (Previously, the only workaround for that that I knew of involved a tedious process in iTunes for Windows, where you can create playlist folders & sub-folders in the file-tree-like lefthand column. Then you create a separate playlist for each album and drag each of those album-playlists into whatever parent folder you choose.)

My only concern would be whether, if you subsequently decided to remove an album from a playlist, that would also remove the album from your library?

Back