AppleTV tvOS 13 to break 5.1 mp4 playback.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for responding. My Mac Mini is already connected to my living room system (a Marantz 8805) via HDMI, so I’m trying to figure out a wireless way to stream losslessly to my bedroom, which at the moment has a Samsung LCD and sound bar with a 4K Apple TV. I’ll be upgrading the TV and soundbar to LG OLED and LG Atmos soundbar with satellite speakers, so it will be decent for enjoying surround. For that reason, I’d like to be able to access the files from my server. DLNA would be fine, but the only DLNA renderer I know of that can handle 5.1 FLAC files losslessly is an Oppo Blu-ray player, which is very expensive these days.

Would the Nvidia Shield be a good solution?

Thanks so much for responding. My Mac Mini is already connected to my living room system (a Marantz 8805) via HDMI, so I’m trying to figure out a wireless way to stream losslessly to my bedroom, which at the moment has a Samsung LCD and sound bar with a 4K Apple TV. I’ll be upgrading the TV and soundbar to LG OLED and LG Atmos soundbar with satellite speakers, so it will be decent for enjoying surround. For that reason, I’d like to be able to access the files from my server. DLNA would be fine, but the only DLNA renderer I know of that can handle 5.1 FLAC files losslessly is an Oppo Blu-ray player, which is very expensive these days.

Would the Nvidia Shield be a good solution?
Nvidia is supposed to work, but I can't vouch for that. My problem with Nvidia is that they don't get all of the apps right away. I've got AT&T TV (we're grandfathered in from the beginning, so there is no way I can change it out and not have to step down in coverage), HBO Max, Showtime, Plex and the usual suspects (Netflix, etc.). They were late releasing both AT&T's product and HBO Max. It isn't worth the risk for me. Good luck though. Let me know how it goes.

I know it's not tvOS, but I did see some pots in the tread that mentioned a Mac Mini. I am using the Music App on a Mac mini connected by HDMI directly to my receiver. I also had all of the problems listed above. What solved it for me was the utility Audio Midi Setup. I know my receiver is an antique but it does the job.

1624149262789.png

Choose your configuration in format, then configure speakers.

1624149370758.png

The Music App works perfectly after these 2 steps.

Thanks Homer. I don’t know much about Kodi, but it seems quite complicated, and as there is no dedicated Apple TV app, it would be quite difficult to use in my situation.

Back