ARCHIVE: 2009 QuadraphonicQuad eBay "Shocker Log"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NOVEMBER 22 SHOCKER LOG UPDATE!

FORMAT
|
ARTIST/TITLE/NOTES
|
eBay ITEM No.
|
PRICE
|
NEW
SACD |KRAFTWERK MINIMUM MAXIMUM (UK)| 110440983380 |$0224.18|
NEW!!
DVD-AUDIO |SIMPLE MINDS NEW GOLD DREAM| 230398732495 |$0219.73|
NEW!!
SACD |GROOVE ARMADA LOVEBOX| 120473927408 |$0195.88|
NEW!!
SACD |GROOVE ARMADA LOVEBOX| 120492977367 |$0183.35|
NEW!!

Q4|DEEP PURPLE STORMBRINGER| 320448306926 |$0170.39|
NEW!!
SACD |BEST OF SACD (SAMPLER)(JAPAN)| 120489849158 |$0138.56|
NEW!!

Q8|AVERAGE WHITE BAND PICK UP THE PIECES| 150387911847 |$0117.50|
NEW!!

CD-4|BARRY MANILOW THIS ONE'S FOR YOU| 120492320025 |$0112.60|
NEW!!
DVD-AUDIO |LED ZEPPELIN HOW THE WEST WAS WON| 300364875318 |$0111.11|
NEW!!
DVD-AUDIO |EAGLES HOTEL CALIFORNIA| 280425969368 |$0102.00|
NEW!!

Attachments

• awb.jpg
    awb.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 258
ELVIS IS IN THE HOUSE!

(I never really got Elvis. I'm think I started music with The Beatles, and Elvis was merely "In the Ghetto") :eek:

FORMAT
|
ARTIST/TITLE/NOTES
|
eBay ITEM No.
|
PRICE
|
NEW

CD-4|ELVIS PRESLEY PROMISED LAND| 230398987471 |$0217.98|
NEW!!

CD-4|ELVIS PRESLEY TODAY| 230398989788 |$0305.50|
NEW!!

CD-4|ELVIS PRESLEY LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS| 230398982804 |$0298.89|
NEW!!

SQ|PINK FLOYD WISH YOU WERE HERE (UK)| 190350017991 |$0128.01|
NEW!!
SACD |DEPECHE MODE BLACK CELEBRATION| 110458497920 |$0182.61|
NEW!!

Considering what things seem to be going for now, maybe it's time to bump up the minimum on the shocker log, maybe starting at $150 or $200. The $100 bottom when the list started back in 2004 doesn't seem as shocking anymore. Or maybe I'm just shell-shocked:eek:

Yes, but as someone who has been watching this stuff for quite some time, the market really has tanked. Reels that are in the high ranges of the Shocker Log now sell for prices that don't even make the list. Same with some Q8's.

I think that the days of high-ticket quad stuff have passed, mostly because of conversions by fans. The next wave of shockers will be the SACD's and DVD-A's that the manufacturer's stupidly stopped pressing.

Wow! Thanks. Geez, I've really been dropping the ball lately.

Hey, did you notice the two different cover graphics? Don't think I've ever seen the one on the left except in promotional graphics.

FORMAT
|
ARTIST/TITLE/NOTES
|
eBay ITEM No.
|
PRICE
|
NEW
DVD-AUDIO |CARLY SIMON NO SECRETS| 250524734992 |$0105.00|
NEW!!
DVD-AUDIO |CARLY SIMON NO SECRETS| 300362063981 |$0114.00|
NEW!!

Hey Jon.

I have the one on the left.
It's staying in my collection though.....

Re Queen ANATO.
There are definitely 2 different covers for this (will send pictures soon) and they also have different Hub Numbers, meaning different masters were used.

ELVIS IS IN THE HOUSE!

(I never really got Elvis. I'm think I started music with The Beatles, and Elvis was merely "In the Ghetto") :eek:

Same here, except that I was lucky enough to 'get' Elvis early on, because my parents were fans, at least of his '50s material. Also, when I started collecting as a kid, I'd buy just about anything no matter how shitty the condition was, and of course 45's always got used and abused, and there were plenty out there, and Elvis sold millions, so I got my education as a teenager.

Elvis has always attracted serious collectors and speculators, in addition to the simply curious who have money to spend. That would in part explain some of the Shocker listings for his quad titles, but there's probably a little ignorance at work, too; my guess is some of these buyers don't really know, for instance, that except for a few special variations, ALOHA FROM HAWAII was in its time not only a #1 album, but it stayed in print as a quad-only title for several years, so a few million were pressed in the U.S., let alone other countries. The other Elvis quads sold less (or were pressed in small numbers relative to ALOHA--or many other quad titles, for that matter).

But it is eBay we're talkin' about, which has pretty much rewritten all the rules--including those of auctions most of all. How could anyone possibly come up with a price guide for quad albums, let alone SACD's and DVD'A's? Friggin' impossible, IMO, because what one day might sell for $200 can also be had for a lot less if you get lucky, your timing is just right, and a listing is missed or ignored by that one buyer who really, really wants it but didn't find it, or missed bidding. It's a weird jungle out there, but right now the bottom line is simply that there are bargains, and then there are those titles which someone will snipe with abandon to get, regardless of price. Fun to watch (which is why this has always been such a fun thread and concept), but frustrating if you want something and can't or won't pay a high price.

ED :)

Hey Jon.

I have the one on the left.
It's staying in my collection though.....

Re Queen ANATO.
There are definitely 2 different covers for this (will send pictures soon) and they also have different Hub Numbers, meaning different masters were used.

I have the Carly listed on the top (with the large brown bar).

The Queen was also on two different labels, Hollywood here in the states but I have one on Parlophone from the UK. So I believe there may be 3 different versions.
I've never seen another Parlophone pressing other than mine.

I also noticed differences in artwork between US pressings and non-US pressings.
A lot of the non-US versions have the large brown bar across the top
where as the US versions do not or have a smaller bar.
Hootie & The Blowfish and The Band's Last Waltz that I have are non-US and have different art.
The Last Waltz disc from Japan & Germany have gold discs but the US version has a white disc.

-B

..The next wave of shockers will be the SACD's and DVD-A's that the manufacturer's stupidly stopped pressing.

Yes, they had to make room for the scalpers to jump in ;)
Stupid and shortsighted just like much of corporate America.

Seriously, I refuse to pay $200 for a disc that once cost $20. I don't care what it is or how good. Out of principle. At that price, I'll wait until one comes up in a real auction (and invariably they usually do, eventually) or maybe just buy the CD.

Some of these thieves (excuse me) "sellers" think enthusiasts are suckers. So I say let them keep them! If they don't sell, they don't make any money.

I don't object to a seller making a profit on an OOP disc, but 5-10 times the original price is robbery.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
ss9001
Steve

But... what if you post a disc on ebay for $20.00 and it ends up selling for $300.00?
Is that the fault of the seller??

The ones that piss me off are those who put up an auction and start it at $200 or more with the "last time ever on earth" deal.
(I won't mention names but we know who they are....)

I start my auctions usually with a price comparable or lower than what I paid for the item.
If it goes for big money.... well then stiff shit!

-B

I agree with that approach.....there is one joker out there right now with Elvis "Aloha From Hawaii" (very, very rare that is...) starting at $349! He must be hoping some moron mistakes it for $3.49. Once in a while I ask guys like that a nonchalant Ebay Mesage question just to watch them lie to me.... John S.

But... what if you post a disc on ebay for $20.00 and it ends up selling for $300.00?
Is that the fault of the seller??-B

I don't have a problem with this scenario. If someone desires it that badly and is willing to bid those amounts, so be it.

It's the listings that either start at $199 (for example) or have these extreme amounts as their only sell price that piss me off.

Aren't most of the scalpers stores or dealers who buy these up and try to make a killing when they become rare?

"Mymusicfix" was one dealer who did that. I'd see him/her bid on an OOP MFSL CD/LP, win the bid at say $40-50 then immediately put it up FS on his webstore or ebay storefront at $89-199. You have to bid against them to begin with just so they can try turn around and try to gouge someone else. Assholes like this are what make me mad.

I don't know if 5.1 Marketing works this way or not, but they also have extreme pricing on most titles.

ss9001

This was a bit of a ebay shocker for me. I don't think I've seen a SACD sampler go for so much. Not really familiar with the artists or tracks so I couldn't say what the appeal for this sampler is.

$138.95 for "Best of Super Audio Cd - Various artists", Rare sampler 2002

1. Jam & Spoon feat. Rea - Be.Angeled
2. Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5 (A little bit of...)
3. Candy Dulfer - Lily Was Here
4. Faithless - Muhammed Ali
5. H-Blockx - Take Me Home
6. Guano Apes - Living In A Lie
7. Eurythmics - There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)
8. Westlife - I Lay My Love On You
9. Law - XXX
10. O-town - All Or Nothing
11. Modern Talking - Win The Race
12. City - Am Fenster

It does smell fishy. The song selection is kinda weird for a multichannel disc, 1-3 and 11 especially.
Will like to see the back cover... maybe it's something HK-made, as CCR "Chronicle".

What's up with these 'book' sites I see on Amazon linked from SA-CD.net ie; any_book, woodys-books, the_book_community etc ???

The seem to be the most consistantly over-priced of them all.

Do they even have stock, or just fishin' ?

"Mymusicfix" was one dealer who did that. I'd see him/her bid on an OOP MFSL CD/LP, win the bid at say $40-50 then immediately put it up FS on his webstore or ebay storefront at $89-199. You have to bid against them to begin with just so they can try turn around and try to gouge someone else. Assholes like this are what make me mad.

I don't know if 5.1 Marketing works this way or not, but they also have extreme pricing on most titles.

ss9001

mymusicfix is the main one I had in mind when I posted the above.
I saw this "last one in the world, gotta grab now" at like $125.00.
It sold.
2 days later, they had another one up.
"last one in the world, gotta grab now" again.
This time $175.00
I ordered the same disc from HMV Japan for $30.00.

Larry from 5.1 is a nice guy to deal with and yes, they can be high but not like those other clowns.

They just piss me off.
And they are so proud that they sell the rarest records on ebay!
Gougers!
Oh well, there is another thread somewhere here that drones on the same thing.

As far as ebay goes, everytime I posted something a little too high, I got
no bites (natch!), so you try to start low.

I had an entire bootleg vinyl collection of John Lennon - The Lost Lennon Tapes.
I upped them to ebay figuring there were 30 LPs at 10 bux a pop.
I listed the set for $300.00 to start. 10.00 a record all in perfect shape.

I got more hate mail... like
"Yo asshole, if you post a real price maybe I'll bid" etc.
Needless to say, they didn't sell.
So I relisted them for $100.00 for the set.
Seven days later they sold for $1149.00!! :eek:

No one would go at $300 but start at $100... go figure.:confused:
I think some ebayers are smokin' something.

-B

DECEMBER 2 SHOCKER UPDATE-----------------------------

Check it out! A QQ Member/Seller reached the upper regions of the SHOCKER LOG with a Deep Purple reel, with a title that's available on both DVD-A and SACD!! Go figure.................

FORMAT
|
ARTIST/TITLE/NOTES
|
eBay ITEM No.
|
PRICE
|
NEW

Q4|SHOSTAKOVICH SYMPHONY No. 5| 110462232150 |$0100.00|
NEW!!

Q4|ELVIS PRESLEY ALOHA FROM HAWAII| 320454114805 |$0127.50|