Are there any factory systems in production that play DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesc

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
My commute is about 60-90 minutes every day so I like having a nice sounding system in the car to compensate for my lost time. I test drove an Acura TLX recently and it is a really nice car but as others mentioned in another thread, Acura inexplicably removed DVD-A functionality despite the ELS system still having an optical drive. It's a shame because the ELS system sounds great in that car and it has such a quiet ride. I'm guessing it'll disappear from the 2016 RDX as well.

Has anyone compared the various high end multichannel factory systems and come up with a few favorites? I might have to stick with a used car at this point. I know the ELS system well but I've heard the B&O is supposed to sound nice and I've heard good things about the Porsche systems too.

I don't think SACD or BD-A were ever supported on a factory system but I'd be happy with those as well.

I've heard that the Burmester system in the new C class Mercedes will take DVD-A's..I'm not sure about that...but I've heard that system and it's a pretty good system...if you are interested you could contact a Mercedes dealership...here is some info

Thanks, I'll check it out. I like the look of some of the newer Mercedes so that's a plus.

Porsche has Burmeister in the Panamera; it plays DVD/A's,& DTS, not SACD, or Blu-Ray
BMW also has a Harmon Kardon that plays DTS; I think Cadillac has a Bose system, as well
The ELS in my new 2015 TLX SH-AWD/Tech, plays DTS that sounds almost as good as DVD/A's
Bring GAUCHO, or HELL FREEZES OVER, in DTS for a test run
You'll be amazed at the fidelity, dynamic range, & bass response
BTW: it's an awesome vehicle; better than my 2012 TL, in every regard

Last edited:
Porsche has Burmeister in the Panamera; it plays DVD/A's,& DTS, not SACD, or Blu-Ray
BMW also has a Harmon Kardon that plays DTS; I think Cadillac has a Bose system, as well
The ELS in my new 2015 TLX SH-AWD/Tech, plays DTS that sounds almost as good as DVD/A's

The only problem with the DTS titles is they are limited in numbers compared to DVD-A's...but some are great sounding..like the one's you mentioned..

my son in law has the caddy with the bose system, it plays dvd-a and dts , i am not exactly sure who makes the head unit or processer but dvd-a sounds excellent after we replaced his main speakers ( originals were blown ) i am not a dts fan for music playback

I currently drive a 2007 RDX and that really made me appreciate the ELS systems. I test drove a TLX and also had one as a loaner and really put the ELS through the ringer. It sounds fantastic and the cabin is incredibly quiet even at highway speeds so it really makes it a step up from the system in my RDX. That six with SH-AWD is a ton of fun to drive too! I'm going to check out the alternatives that have been mentioned in the thread but I can definitely see myself in a TLX, especially if they get the rumored CarPlay/Android Auto stuff incorporated into the entertainment system. I'm also curious about the refreshed RDX but I'm guessing it'll lose the DVD-A capability as well.

dts.
That is one reason it works, you can make your own cds in a flash. And with road noise etc, DTS is fine on the highway. No one cares to break a window for burned cds, the decks are going to be easier to find. Probably the way till someone does a unit with a card that will read multichannel flac.

But easy to make your own...

I sat in a 2016 Volvo XC90 over the weekend. They are just starting to show up in dealerships.

I was in a Momentum Plus trim without the upgraded Bowers and Wilkins option. It read multichannel FLAC off my USB. But I think the rear channel sounds were coming through all speakers (stereo down mix?). I'm hoping the B&W version will have correct channel mapping. Will let you know in a few weeks.

Amazing car by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Audi MMI for model year 2016 and beyond can play FLAC and multichannel FLAC. I have converted DVD Audio and SACD multichannel to FLAC and it plays from the SD card or USB stick. It can handle up to 24 bit, 88 or 96 kHz and 6 channel surround.

The Audi MMI for model year 2016 and beyond can play FLAC and multichannel FLAC. I have converted DVD Audio and SACD multichannel to FLAC and it plays from the SD card or USB stick. It can handle up to 24 bit, 88 or 96 kHz and 6 channel surround.

Damn. That sounds like PERFECTION!

Damn, I'll have to wait, I got my A4 in 2014, and didn't like the idea of a B&O synthesised surround system!

Multichannel flac from a hard drive/sd card = awesome! I wish more cars would go this route of playing more file types from sd cards especially with surround.

Multichannel flac from a hard drive/sd card = awesome! I wish more cars would go this route of playing more file types from sd cards especially with surround.

Agreed - I wish there was an after market head unit that did discrete multichannel FLAC...

Back