Are there any good copies of Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quadfather

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I currently have 2 copies of this SACD album, and both have deteriorated into a mess of dropouts. I am currently recording what is salvageable and filling in with a stereo copy processed through my Space and Image Composer. I do believe I have a weak laser on my player, but it usually works flawlessly once I get it going at the beginning of a listening session. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem with this recording?
The Quadfather

My SACDs work perfectly. Never had a problem on 3 different Oppo players.

I would suspect this is due to hardware/ setup differences rather than media ones. I feel fairly certain that the same surround mix was used for both.
There is also mastering, potentially. It is not just Mrs. Baggins' observation, if you check out the threads here on QQ.
I wouldn't have tracked down the SACD, were it not for such posts.
I've never liked the way GBYBR BD sounds. Conversely, I love the way all EJ SACDs sound (haven't heard GBYBR yet).
Also, there are plenty of HFPA discs I like.
So, you may be right, but who knows!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, that why I said "suspect". I know it's not iron clad, but I think those issues are more likely. But sure, the SACD and Blu may sound different.

And then there's the fantastic Sounding Universal MLP 5.1 DVD~A disc which sounds spectacular on my system:

1423910068_front.jpg

I likewise have the SACD and the BD~A ......NEVER done a true comparison.

Do it!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

NO! Just kidding: The reason I prefer the DVD~A is because my Meridian 800 reference player smokes the OPPO SACD/BD~A player. I shouldn't say smokes ..... just much more refined in terms of midrange and bass extension.

Actually, all three GBYBR remixes sound fine across the board on my system and the 5.1 remix is another TO DIE FOR surround mix. If I get a chance, I'll do a rudimentary comparison and can be a guest on Life In Surround provided you pay for my airfare and put me up in a 5 star hotel [Huh]!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
Back