Are There Other Dolby Surround Encoded CDs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I've just converted one CD encoded in Dolby Surround (Jovanotti - Lorenzo 1994) to DTS thru DPL2 and the result is very enjoyable.
Someone knows other DS-encoded titles?

Huge numbers is / are the answer to that one. The a vast amount (perhaps even the majority) of experimental, 'world', jazz & classical in the 1980's / early 1990's were recorded in DS. Think everything to Andreas Vollenweider's early material (actually, I suspect all his material, even though his later albums don't mention it, as they behave through a decoder just like DS encoded disks through to Rick Wakeman's 1998 album Return to the Centre of the Earth.
The link mentioned is a great one BTW -hours could be spent.
Scott

Scottmoose said:
Huge numbers is / are the answer to that one. The a vast amount (perhaps even the majority) of experimental, 'world', jazz & classical in the 1980's / early 1990's were recorded in DS. Think everything to Andreas Vollenweider's early material (actually, I suspect all his material, even though his later albums don't mention it, as they behave through a decoder just like DS encoded disks through to Rick Wakeman's 1998 album Return to the Centre of the Earth.
The link mentioned is a great one BTW -hours could be spent.
Scott

I found a budget CD in DPL that I don't think is on the list: There's an ELO Part 2 "Greatest Hits Live" out there which is enjoyable for fans of the band. Decent sound and nice to hear a band which has always, to me, cried out for surround (well, the original version, at any rate). Good singlongs with the punters...

Recently I scored what I believe to be the only Chinese language Dolby Surround-encoded CD ever released....the 2 CD set for the 20th Anniversary Concert of Hong Kong PolyGram Records. There're also LP and cassette versions to this release but it has yet to released on SACD. The CDs are of first pressing and were manufactured in South Korea. The engineer for this release, Michael Au, went on to produce and engineer many of HK Universal's multi-channel SACD releases.

2724500890_0e07f7b4a5.jpg

That link above seems to be broken. Are there any sources for lists of Albums/CD's encoded in Dolby Surround. Also feel free to post some good ones if you know of any. I have been thinking about trying to collect some of these.

Whoops, I just realised there was a Mark Anderson page for this.

But please still feel free to let me know your favorite Rock/Pop/R&B/Country titles. That ELO disc is very appealing to me.

Q8, if you're into electronic/chillout music, I highly recommend the first cd albums from Schiller:
- Zeitgeist
- Weltreise (also released with english title: Voyage)
- Leben (also released with english title:Life)
- Sehnsucht (also released with english title: Desire)

All Dolby Surround encoded.
:)

Last edited:
I just grabbed for 12 cents on Amazon the "Victory at Sea" soundtrack by Richard Rodgers and Robert Russell Bennett. The CD is encoded in Dolby Surround. It's one of the great soundtracks ever and worth a listen. The LPs - all three volumes - are easy to find and are always in dollar bins.

I've been enjoying the first two Tomita albums: Snowflakes are Dancing and Pictures at an Exhibition through the Dolby Pro. I've played Snowflakes quite a bit in this winter weather and am thinking about springing for the new SACD version.

Yeah, I saw that there were Tomita albums on Dolby Surround encoded CD's. I may look into those too. Tomita is great!

I have the Tomita Dolby CD with the exception of Firebird. I think that one was rarer or more popular than the others and seemed to be going for silly prices when I was trying to acquire it some time ago

Back