Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits - The Next QUADIO Title

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news, thanks for telling!!! Guess it'll be arrival next week for Europe then. But I'll live through the waiting since some SACD from Amazon will fill my mailbox tomorrow or Friday. Becoming a bigger surroundoholic day by day... :smokin

Just tried again using a different card and an alternative e-mail address and it worked (even the discount code)! Yippee!

I just ordered a couple of copies via Rhino's website and was able to use the coupon, so many thanks to Kazaam for the code! To those of you having difficulty, perhaps everything's working properly now so give it another try!

Regards,
Josh

First time poster...uh oh, look out.

Where did this QUEEN discount code come from? I could have used it when I pre-ordered a while back.
There was a MONKEES discount code that arose from the Birds Bees & Monkees boxed set that had come out a few months ago. Was there a Queen release recently from Rhino?

And their website is not working correctly...gee, what a surprise. The second I saw the BBM announcement (no later than day 2) I immediately went to pre-order, especially since an extra 2 tracks on a bonus 45 were at stake, but their website wasn't working right then as well. I called to order my copy; I wasn't leaving the house until my order was in. But I find out much later that their fulfillment isn't 1st-to-order-1st-to-be-shipped. People were getting their copies weeks before I got mine.

I had a problem with Rhino's site using Firefox with Windows XP. But Windows IE 8 with Windows 7 gave us no problem. Still, this is unexceptable and needs to be fixed by Rhino. If nothing else a "Paypal" option could be easily added. And if there's an issue where discs can or cannot be shipped, this needs to be made clear on their website. But at least there's phone support (including international) and that should get one's orders completed.

First time poster...uh oh, look out.

Where did this QUEEN discount code come from? I could have used it when I pre-ordered a while back.
There was a MONKEES discount code that arose from the Birds Bees & Monkees boxed set that had come out a few months ago. Was there a Queen release recently from Rhino?

Welcome to the forum! I'm not certain, but I suspect it's a fairly new promo. I came across the discount code at one of those online coupon websites. It's funny that you mentioned the MONKEES code some of us used on CTA, because I was thinking the exact same thing initially and wondered if the QUEEN code was actually meant for a different release and just coincidence that it worked. But later I realized Rhino was probably referring to Aretha as the "Queen" of soul. At least that's my thinking, anyway.

Still not working for me (Windows 7, IE8). Not happy about this... I think I'll hold off on this one.

What's wrong with calling Rhino if you want the title and getting it this way? That's how we used to order stuff before this interent fad came in. One day the internet will be another dead format. :smokin

Edit: Seriously though, should be quicker to call and order than wait for the computer to boot and so on...

What's wrong with calling Rhino if you want the title and getting it this way? That's how we used to order stuff before this interent fad came in. One day the internet will be another dead format. :smokin

:yikes

I love your humor Jim! I always enjoy reading your posts, you are one gentleman that I would love to sit down and have a beer with.

Reagan

What's wrong with calling........ That's how we used to order stuff before this interent fad came in.

It's funny you mention that as it seems like an entire world away nowadays! I can recall on a couple of occasions waaaayy back when, in the mid-Nineties, just prior to the Interweb exploding and becoming completely mainstream, where I called up a couple of companies to place orders and, having heard that you could sometimes negotiate better prices than what was listed in their catalogs, I would end up pestering the Customer Service Reps for a discount. It sometimes worked. But I can only imagine they must've hated me! And now I could never imagine doing that again. I suppose it's partially because I'm no longer the poor kid that I was back then. But moreso, I think, it's that the internet is just so quick and easy; I almost hate having to call.

Would love to have a beer with you anytime Reagan and with QQ memebers ...

Yes, usually the internet is simpilar to use than phone or... you don't have to deal with people on the phone. But then again even when the interent and web pages work as they should, is it really any easiler or quicker than just calling? Why should I have to input my info into a computer when customer service should be doing that for me? I would hate to see anyone get understandably frustrated and give up on obtaining these "Quadio" titles when their support is really important.

When I first and even a second time tried to order on Rhino's website I coundn't get it to work. I was able to get it to work, but it occurred to me it would be simple and quicker just to call. Kick back, relax and just call. Since this is THE original Quadraphonic masters from the original source tapes, our support is mucn needed and will be worth it in the long run - as frustrated as we may get with today's technology - if we're to get more original Quad titles. Hang in there folks and try to order this one way or the other.

Last edited:
I got the disc yesterday and listened today. The mixes sound fairly discreet to me (never hearing them before), but I do have a question.

It seems for most of the songs, save for the last three, the mixes feature the main vocals and instrumentation more toward the rear speakers, while the background singers are mainly focused in the front - as if the 9 songs might have been "mastered" incorrectly? I wouldn't know - since the last three songs on the album the mixes make more sense (main vocals in the front and background singers in the rear).

I'm looking forward to see how the mixes on the DVD disc compare to the original tape and vinyl releases regarding placement of the instrumentation and vocals in the 4 speakers.

It seems for most of the songs, save for the last three, the mixes feature the main vocals and instrumentation more toward the rear speakers, while the background singers are mainly focused in the front - as if the 9 songs might have been "mastered" incorrectly? I wouldn't know - since the last three songs on the album the mixes make more sense (main vocals in the front and background singers in the rear).

The original Q4/Q8/CD-4 releases are like that too. I always thought maybe making the rears the fronts would make all the difference. Guess this is how it was originally envisioned.

I have heard the weong mixes also in Q4 and Q8. And I have had hope, that the rerecording engineers would made a change in front and rear, so that the main voice of Aretha is listening always from the front. So we must now self make an additional mix with corrext positions of the singers and after that to propduce a private DVD-Audio. We llike true copies from the mastertapes, but not including the mitakes.

Dietrich

I got the disc yesterday and listened today. The mixes sound fairly discreet to me (never hearing them before), but I do have a question.

I'm looking forward to see how the mixes on the DVD disc compare to the original tape and vinyl releases regarding placement of the instrumentation and vocals in the 4 speakers.

My disc was delivered today. After the first listen it does seem weird having the vocals in the rear surround channels. Aretha sounds great, its just a strange placement of the vocals.

Regardless, I'm glad to have this and it's good they did not change the tracks. This is how it was released to begin with in the 1970s. Unfortunately, nobody is around AFAIK who originally mixed this to tell us differently. A clue should also be instrument placement in addition to where the vocals are.

Tom Dowd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dowd

Just gave it a hardcore listen.. I'm not hearing lead vocals in the back, as in "mainly in the back" except where it was obviously intended to give a more intinmate experience with the listener as on the song "Day Dreaming.” Also, this being Gospel influenced Rock what would normally be background vocals put in the rear channels only are a part of the lead vocals lines and harmony. So it made sense musically to put those vocals in front "as the norm" in this mix IMHO, although you do hear them often in the back as well at times. Tom Dowd's mix gives us a 3 dimensional Aretha Franklin in your room as Quadraphonic/surround should. After hearing these songs for years on the AM radio and stereo the music/mix really jumps to life. This title should really move the ball forward and gain more surround converts because the songs are familar classics, mixed excellent.

I ordered mine back on day one...
I'm hoping mine arrives today (Saturday) or on Monday while I'm off and have a chance
to check it out. I haven't seen any e-mail yet and the website is a mess.

There is no way to tell if your order was shipped or not, being processed etc.
This time it wouldn't let me get on... I entered user and pass... nada,
thought well maybe bad password?? Did a request for pass change... it just sits there. Nada again!
I had to re-register and of course, the new registration is different but I used all the same info though.
Most sites won't allow dupe names, e-mail addys etc.

The bottom line is the site is bolloxed!
I've used all three (FF, Chrome & IE) to no avail.
It's better to call them and order.

Wow, 3 browsers and no luck. According to the Rhino website this is who they use for e-sales: http://www.globalwaresolutions.com/clients.aspx

Yes, Call Rhino for your orders at this point:

http://www.rhino.com/global/contact-rhino

Contact Rhino
Need to talk with a Rhino? Here are our vitals...
1-877-RHINO 51 (Why 51? It's a long story.)
1-877-744-6651
or +410.568.3713 (international)
[email protected]
A living, breathing human is here to help from 8am – 8pm ET, every day excluding holidays. And all other times there's a very friendly robot that will relay your message to us promptly.
We look forward to hearing from you!

Back