Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits - The Next QUADIO Title

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of BecauseSoundMatters (because webmastering apparently doesn't). Clunky behavior, stupid errors and lengthy times to get anything corrected.

Remember those guys? "Hey M-F-ers we're buying quad from Rhino!" It ain't DVD-A but it is sure as hell better than anything they promised and did an epic fail on us.

They seem determined to hamstring members on their blog posts and I think this carries over into every day browsing and ordering. It worked on day 1 when I ordered Aretha but it's farmed out to a 3rd party that doesn't give a rip or Rhino seems unable to articulate to them how it should work.

I just ordered this, from the Rhino website. Used the promo code. Only problem I seemed to have it that I logged in, it made me fill out all my personal info again. Looking forward to listening to this.

IMPORTANT!!!

Please keep all comments about the disc (after you receive it) in the POLL thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?13355

You can discuss the hurdles it takes to order it, or what you went through to get it, or your frustration because it hasn't shown up yet here! :D

THANKS

All future posts concerning the content will be moved to the POLL thread.

The problem I have with ordering over the phone is very few of the people that take my call speak English, so it takes 10 times as long to get through everything than it normally should. As it turns out, I can't even order over the phone because the problem I've been having ordering online returns. Apparently, several other people are having the same issue I am and it will be brought to Management's attention on Monday. Fantastic.

Only problem I seemed to have it that I logged in, it made me fill out all my personal info again.

Actually, I had the same problem but I thought it was my issue because I didn't remember if I had Rhino save my personal info the first time around. I guess it wasn't my problem after all! :)

Speaking of Rhino website issues, I'm supposed to receive a promo coupon via e-mail because I bought A-Ha's Singles (1984-2004). Let's see if I have to jump through any hoops...I'm supposed to allow five days to receive the code.

My disc was delivered today. After the first listen it does seem weird having the vocals in the rear surround channels. Aretha sounds great, its just a strange placement of the vocals.

This sounds like you may be listening to the Dolby Digital track. I was surprised at the difference between the Dolby Digital mix and the DTS mix. DTS much better...

It seems they're not allowing this one to Canadians. If I put in my U.S. P.O. Box address for shipping, I get one step further, however the website now claims that they cannot "verify" my billing address. I can't change that as that's what shows up with my Credit Card. Any other Canucks having issues?

Speaking of Rhino website issues, I'm supposed to receive a promo coupon via e-mail because I bought A-Ha's Singles (1984-2004). Let's see if I have to jump through any hoops...I'm supposed to allow five days to receive the code.

Well...I never received my coupon code so I called and was told to e-mail Dr. Rhino and sure enough, I got a reply after a couple of days with my coupon code. So, as some of the other posters have said, call/e-mail if you have any trouble.

I've read through people's woes here about the Rhino Handmade online experience, etc.. but I have to say with both this and the CTA Quadio releases, Rhino processed and sent them to me, nicely packed, very reasonably and most impressive of all, they arrived extremely quickly and with no fuss - from the USA to the UK in a matter of days!!

if only every import purchase i'd ever made was as speedy and pain free as this!

I've read through people's woes here about the Rhino Handmade online experience, etc.. but I have to say with both this and the CTA Quadio releases, Rhino processed and sent them to me, nicely packed, very reasonably and most impressive of all, they arrived extremely quickly and with no fuss - from the USA to the UK in a matter of days!!

if only every import purchase i'd ever made was as speedy and pain free as this!

My beef isn't with their packaging or shipping; those have been just fine. My beef is that they cut off the project after only two releases. The first release was something I was looking forward to; the second was one that was a nice-to-have. Just my opinion, now. With Warner Music's vast back catalog of discrete quad recordings, it's a shame they felt no one wanted these releases; or maybe they felt not enough people were interested enough to keep it going. But the CTA disc was a sellout; the Aretha disc wasn't gone quite as fast. Perhaps the folks at Rhino should have followed our lively little forum here. They could have found out what people wanted.

My beef isn't with their packaging or shipping; those have been just fine. My beef is that they cut off the project after only two releases. The first release was something I was looking forward to; the second was one that was a nice-to-have. Just my opinion, now. With Warner Music's vast back catalog of discrete quad recordings, it's a shame they felt no one wanted these releases; or maybe they felt not enough people were interested enough to keep it going. But the CTA disc was a sellout; the Aretha disc wasn't gone quite as fast. Perhaps the folks at Rhino should have followed our lively little forum here. They could have found out what people wanted.

They read it.

With Warner Music's vast back catalog of discrete quad recordings, it's a shame they felt no one wanted these releases; or maybe they felt not enough people were interested enough to keep it going. But the CTA disc was a sellout; the Aretha disc wasn't gone quite as fast. Perhaps the folks at Rhino should have followed our lively little forum here. They could have found out what people wanted.

of course it is speculation only but my guess the main reason to abandon their Quadio project is
a specifics of present market. sadly the statistic of the units were printed and sold kept as a top
secret and it's hard to do analysis. most likely those prints was somewhere less than 10000 per
release and when such turn for small label are acceptable, for corporation of the Warner's size
actually worthless from point of view profitability.
i don't know how hard and expensive is to get an original masters and permission to print it commercially,
but pretty obvious, still for now this sort of reissues would be more possible from a small labels than from
giant records corporations.

Back