Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits - The Next QUADIO Title

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that disappointed me with the Aretha GH album was that
it didn't include "Think" which was my favorite track by her.
But I have the CD-4 , a DVD-A of the reel and now an authentic copy on order!
Never Loved A Man is the other missing biggie.

The warehouse fire occurred in early 1978 at a New Jersey storage facility Atlantic was using to house session reels (they kept the master mono and stereo takes of released material in New York, for ease of use in licensing or for their own albums). Since the tapes were insured, Atlantic wasn't out any money at the time, but of course, with CD reissues later on, so much that could have been heard is forever lost, and of course, any multitracks that were there are gone too.

The big question fans have been asking all these years: what was or wasn't stored at that warehouse? We know that the session tapes for LAYLA never got that far, and probably some others, but what I don't think has ever been revealed is a list of what was known to be there. We can surmise that since the only Aretha extras on Atlantic reissues are mono mixes or versions folded from quad (like "Chain Of Fools"), her session tapes are gone (as are most of Ray Charles; but as Bill Holland reported in Billboard in 2005, Jerry Wexler had a dub of some material made for him by Tom Dowd, and some of that material was later used for a Rhino box set). It's also believed the Led Zeppelin studio multis exist, as Jimmy Page sent along only the final stereo mixdowns. Others may have done the same--Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, for instance, let's hope other acts kept hold of the session reels as well, at least there's a chance for future MC releases if anyone's up to it.

ED :)

Good things comes to those who waits....What a lovely surprise to see that another Quad album comes from Rhino, and not just any album, but by one of my all time favorites. I heard the CD-4 album in the 70's and as far as I can remember most mixes are not very discreet, probably because the oldest tracks were recorded late 66 och 67 and I don't think they were recorded on 8-tracks, and if they were those were not at hand when the album was remixed for quad in 1973? Anyway I have already placed my order, and as I mentioned in one of my posts after the Chicago quad release this spring, where it says in the liner notes on that album....quad series.....etc and now we can call it a series even though this title is just the second (in hopefully a long row of releases to come)
Mats

Try this: Promo Code = QUEEN = 20% off

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet or not as it seems we've got a couple of threads related to this release, but if anyone hasn't yet ordered the Aretha Franklin quadio title then you might want to try the above promo code for a discount. It seems to work as of today, at least.

So has anyone received a shipping notice? I believe today is the release date, right?

Today's the release date. Anyone get it yet? Post here when the first few get it so we can be on the lookout.

I tried to order today but their website is giving me problems .... weird as last time it was smooth and effortless. Maybe they don't want my money now?

Is it not allowing you to choose shipping, saying your address and credit card security # are invalid? Glad to know it's not just me though.

Same problem here. My address and credit card details are the same as for my Chicago order which went through OK so this must be a problem with the Rhino site or their bank. Very frustrating.

People, to hell with the internet, it's sort of a fad... :D Try ordering by phone and give promo code. Perhaps this might work:

"Contact Rhino
Need to talk with a Rhino? Here are our vitals...
1-877-RHINO 51 (Why 51? It's a long story.)
1-877-744-6651
or +410.568.3713 (international)
[email protected]
A living, breathing human is here to help from 8am – 8pm ET, every day excluding holidays. And all other times there's a very friendly robot that will relay your message to us promptly.
We look forward to hearing from you!"

http://www.rhino.com/global/contact-rhino

Some of us here (that you're friends with) can also order in U.S. for our overseas members and send as last resort.

This is unfortunate. How can people buy from Rhino if the website isn't working? Hopefully, it'll be fixed soon!

In addition to OQG's suggestion of calling them, I wonder... Would trying a different web browser help?

Or maybe use the "guest checkout" option rather than logging in? When I tried to log in to my account and purchase, I noticed that FireFox indicated the little "lockpad" logo for transactions was unsecure/unlocked. But it seemed to lock properly with guest checkout, though I can't say for sure that purchasing this way would actually work since I didn't try all the steps.

FWIW... It looks to me like the QUEEN code still works when I type it in, unless it's it's still working only because of some sort of previously saved cookies setting in my browser? Or maybe haikubass is right about it just not working in all countries for whatever reason? Still worth a try, I suppose.

Thanks to the handy info posted by OQG above, I just got off the phone with Rhino.

Aretha's Greatest Hits did indeed start shipping yesterday, on time! The rep also confirmed that no emails were sent stating that, but start checking your mail boxes!

Back